Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer won't load windows

• 19-10-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭

On my computer (Sony Vaio running Windows XP) it won't load up - gets to the black screed with Windows logo on it then screen remains black and the following error message comes up

lsass.exe Unable to Locate Component
    This application has failed to start because DNSAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

It was running perfectly up to today - anyone have any ideas / assistance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Will it let you into safe mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 dubfir

Can you get into the recovery consol and copy the file from
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\DNSAPI.dll

to

C:\Windows\System32\DNSAPI.dll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

rhonin wrote: »
    Will it let you into safe mode?
    Not sure, its not actually my laptop, tried pressing the F keys on start up but wouldn't let me into safe mode, how do you do this?

dubfir wrote: »
    Can you get into the recovery consol and copy the file from
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\DNSAPI.dll

to

C:\Windows\System32\DNSAPI.dll
    Where is the recovery console?

If you have the xp installation disc you can get in from there.

• Advertisement

Not sure, its not actually my laptop, tried pressing the F keys on start up but wouldn't let me into safe mode, how do you do this?

On startup keep pressing F8 and you will be given a choice to start in safe mode or normal mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

rhonin wrote: »
    On startup keep pressing F8 and you will be given a choice to start in safe mode or normal mode.

Also in that menu there will be 'last known good configutation' you could try that.

In both safe mode and last known good configuration I still get the same blank screen and error message

In both safe mode and last known good configuration I still get the same blank screen and error message

Was your anti-virus software up to date? If you have your windows CD you may have to follow dubfir's suggestion or else repair your windows installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Im having the exact same problem as the OP - my gf said she was using it the other morning and it was perfect, shut it down and went she tried using it later in the afternoon - it wouldnt boot up properly - everything normal until the time the log on window and just black with the cursor (which can be moved around) but no buttons on the keyboard do anything!!!
    Reading on some places on the net that it was an update gone wrong on Microsofts part - I cant seem to find a solution for it though!
    Anybody in the know about whats happened?
    Repair disc is having no affect at all!! Well have tried everything except a total reinstall - but dont want to loose all my stuff! :-(

• Advertisement

Just found this on the net......

Using the recovery console I was getting the same "parameter invalid" response when I tried copying the file from the dllcache folder, until I dropped the /y switch from the command. However, when I did that, the copy file command attempted to carry out the copy but failed. I tried deleting the problem file and this failed as well.

I finally solved it by running chkdsk /r on the C drive (This took about 40mins to run). I was then able to delete the file successfully. To replace it I used the file on the xp install disk.

The dnsapi.dll can be found in the i386 directory on the XP install disk, but it is named dnsapi.dl_ (I think because it is the compressed version.)

To copy it across I went into the i386 ( cd e:\i386, followed by e: ) directory and typed
    copy dnsapi.dl_ c:\windows\system32\dnsapi.dll

This successfully copied the file across. I then restarted and the system booted up fine.

dubfir wrote: »
    I finally solved it by running chkdsk /r on the C drive (This took about 40mins to run). I was then able to delete the file successfully. To replace it I used the file on the xp install disk.

The dnsapi.dll can be found in the i386 directory on the XP install disk, but it is named dnsapi.dl_ (I think because it is the compressed version.)

To copy it across I went into the i386 ( cd e:\i386, followed by e: ) directory and typed
    copy dnsapi.dl_ c:\windows\system32\dnsapi.dll

This successfully copied the file across. I then restarted and the system booted up fine.

Cheers Dubfir!!
    Will give this a go when I get home this evening!! Really need the computer back and especially without loss of files - have loads of stuff on there for my wedding next year! Thought I'd saved most of it to my external HD - but I hadnt! ;)

Also, do you know the file that needs to be deleted or does that show up after you run the chkdsk /r on the C drive?
    Sorry - not to well up on that part of computers; using MS-DOS
    Would you have the link from where you sourced this? Could you post it or PM it to me!

Cheers!!

Found this also!
    Hopefully, if the above doesnt work - I'll try this site below!!
    Its dated back to Dec 2008, but has a solution to the KSOD (blacK Sreen Of Death)
    There is also almost 200 replies with other people solutions - hopefully something will work!
    Click here

Had a quick read from the latest reply, back; and one person replaced their graphics card and problem solved!! Fingers crossed something will work! ;)

Advertisement