Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaillimh le Gaeilge??

Options
  • 19-10-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

galway is the gateway to Connemara, the most Irish speaking of all Irish towns, but is it really?
    if i go to galway and speak irish, would I be understood?
    i would imagine that the natives would be pleasantly disposed to the langauge, but just how widely is it spoken within the city?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Connemara isn't a town, you lose OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Connemara isn't a town, you lose OP.
    indeed its not but galway city is a town come city. do they speak gaelic there or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 agsiul

Braitheann sé cé leis atá tú ag caint. Ba cheart duit dul chomh fada leis an Spidéal ar a laighead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fuinseog wrote: »
    indeed its not but galway city is a town come city. do they speak gaelic there or not?

Some do, some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Braitheann sé ar an áit, agus ar an duine ach i mo thuairmse tá a lán Gaeilge anseo. Bain triall as ach feicfidh t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Cuinis bóthar cailín bainne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

agsiul wrote: »
    Braitheann sé cé leis atá tú ag caint. Ba cheart duit dul chomh fada leis an Spidéal ar a laighead.
    D'ordaigh mé pionta i dteach tábhairne sa Spidéal anuraidh.

Táim cinnte go raibh Gaeilge ag an bhfear a bhí ag obair taobh thiar den chúntair, ach ní raibh sé sásta ach mo chuid ceisteanna a fhreagairt ach i mBéarla...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Is mór an trua é ach tarlaonn sé sin domsa go han-mhinic :<(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Baile gan anam, baile gan teanga

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gan Teanga, Gan Anam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some do, some most don't.

DMDP

Dheisigh mé do phost! :D

There would be no more Irish speakers in Galway than say Sligo or Limerick in reality.

I hear it spoken occasionally in the city but not every day, you'll have to go into Connemara for that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

topper75 wrote: »
    There would be no more Irish speakers in Galway than say Sligo or Limerick in reality.

Don't agree with that to be honest...maybe because i'm an irish speaker, or maybe it's because of my hangouts, but not a day goes by that I do not hear irish spoken in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I hear Irish spoken everyday in Galway, in many different places. It's something that people not from here who visit me always comment on.

You do hear it spoken in some places elsewhere in Ireland on occasion, but it sounds forced sort of, and nowhere near as natural as it does here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

That's definitely way off the mark. While Irish is no more than a minority language in Galway, there is considerably more Irish to be heard on the streets of the city than in any other city in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I hear slavic languages being spoken more often in town ná an teanga dhílis a chuireann gliondar i mo chroí

ronanmac wrote: »
    That's definitely way off the mark. While Irish is no more than a minority language in Galway, there is considerably more Irish to be heard on the streets of the city than in any other city in Ireland.

Way off what mark? I'm going by my experience. What are you going by?

My experience = living here over 2 years and overhearing the language spoken (casually - outside Arus na nGael etc.) about 3 times wandering the streets every weekend and occasional midweek evenings. One of those times involved two parents with Dublin accents speaking to their kid in a shop in Salthill. I've also lived in Sligo and Limerick.

I am an Irish speaker and actively seek out opportunities to use the language. Scarce as hen's teeth I'm afraid. This is reality. The rest is just marketing and image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Way off what mark? I'm going by my experience. What are you going by?

Sorry if "way off the mark" seemed harsh! My experience is as follows: I am from the Conamara Gaeltacht and have either lived, worked or been in Galway city one way or another most days... Although I don't search out Irish speaking opportunities like you mention, I would find it very difficult to do anything in town without either hearing or having a conversation as Gaeilge. Perhaps the difference is being from Conamara, I meet people on the street or working in shops that I know who speak Irish?

While never having lived in either Sligo or Limerick, my job entails going to various places and finding Irish speakers. While there are a reasonable number of Irish speakers in Limerick, there is, in my experience, very little Irish in Sligo.

We can only speak from our own experiences... they are mine.

agsiul wrote: »

so i do thuairimse ni labhraitear an Ghaeilge ar na sraideann i nGaillimh?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I hear slavic languages being spoken more often in town ná an teanga dhílis a chuireann gliondar i mo chroí

if i order a coffe, by just saying 'caife le do thoil' would they bring me waht i want or tell me top cop on and speak English?

• Advertisement

You can order in Irish without many problems if you like.
    I often say bainne instead of milk in shops.

There is a nice little cafe down on Quay St. with a bilingual menu. I plucked up the confidence to chance my arm with the Irish, even pointing at 'ispíní' etc.

The lad there just repeated back what I had said in English to himself and walked away. Therefore, he understood - but he wanted no truck with it.

ronanmac wrote: »
    Sorry if "way off the mark" seemed harsh! My experience is as follows: I am from the Conamara Gaeltacht and have either lived, worked or been in Galway city one way or another most days... Although I don't search out Irish speaking opportunities like you mention, I would find it very difficult to do anything in town without either hearing or having a conversation as Gaeilge. Perhaps the difference is being from Conamara, I meet people on the street or working in shops that I know who speak Irish?

While never having lived in either Sligo or Limerick, my job entails going to various places and finding Irish speakers. While there are a reasonable number of Irish speakers in Limerick, there is, in my experience, very little Irish in Sligo.

We can only speak from our own experiences... they are mine.

Cothrom na Féinne dhuit mar sin! B'fhéidir go gcaithfidh mise mo chluaise a oscailt mar sin 's mé ag gabháil thart na cathrach! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I hear way more Irish in Galway than any other city. I work in Theatre in Education, through the medium of Irish all over the country. The English speaking schools in Galway are a lot more open to irish plays where as only the gaels scoils used to book us elsewhere. That's only begining to change.:D

Reason there's more Irish, we are the Irish language media centre, we have the national Irish languge theatre (though folk may argue about that) and before there were gael scoils, two of our city schools continued to teach in Irish.

It usen't claim to be a bi-lingual city, but since TG4 (many of their employees live in the city) and Gaillimh le Gaeilge got to work, the image of Irish has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

chluain me na Gardai ar sraid na muileann ag chaint na ghaeilge ar fheabhas.

I do rang na ghaeilge in town for free in the social space, pm me if anyone wants the deatils

Advertisement