Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helpppp, potty training

Options
  • 19-10-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

i have a little girl who will be three at christmas and we started to train her about may/june. when she started she was flyin, thought this was great all grown up n all but lately shes been going backwards. shel poo in her knickers nearly all the time, even if i ask her does she need to go, shel go into the bathroom and stand beside the toilet and do it instead of doin it in the toilet. shes in nursery every mornin and the teachers i think are gettin a bit impatient and have asked y is she doing it. i can honestly say i dont know, shes also not out of pull ups during the night and i dont have a clue how to do it, please help, she is my first and therefor i am inexperienced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've toilet trained a lot of children, double figures. Each child is a bit different with their developmental stages.

Setbacks can occur. Has there been any change such as change of routine, illness etc? Was there an incident where she slipped on the toilet and thought she was going to fall in?

Whatever you don't keep calm and don't get cross or stressed over it as that can make matters worse. If there are any accidents then keep calm and don't make a fuss and lavish praise when she manages to go without an accident.

Is there a chance she may be constipated so feels more comfortable to poo in her pants especially if she's straining? Is she wetting as well just in case it's a urinary infection/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Hi Op...deisemum makes some good points.

I fully agree with her that each child is different. some children seem to be completely trained and then may revert 6 months later to wetting the bed (as an example).

Does your daughter associate the toilet with forced use of the loo? as in, it's time to go right away? sometimes when a child indicates they want to use the toilet it may just be a passing phase. A young neice of mine was terrible for that. she would "feel" like using the loo, only to actually need it 20 mins later...:P

Give her time....I know the creches are a bit impatient with the poor thing but I found it was better to anticipate the child rather than wait for them to say anything. Ask your daughter regularly if she needs the loo, like every hour and a half...if she's just eaten, a half hour later...they do forget sometimes that they actually need the loo.

And my own suggestion would be to keep her in underpants always...explain that only little babies need pull-ups or nappies and big girls can go to the loo by themselves....One other thing you can do is take her to the loo in the creche yourself on a quiet day and help her use it as she may be nervous with the minders. If she wets the bed in her pants the uncomfortable feeling will soon have her calling out for you to take her to the toilet rather than wet herself. Better still to take her in the middle of the night and prevent a full bladder.

Maybe you've tried all these things, I don't know, this is only my advice...it can be frustrating as you want your little one to be all grown up like the other kids, but she will eventually get it in her own time...patience...and good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We had the exact same trouble with our young one only a few months ago.

Our solution: Sweets. :D

Every time she did a wee in the toilet she got a jelly. Every time a poo: two jellies. Also, we made a big deal out of it when she went. Hurray! etc.

Also, we kinda thought she was enjoying the showers she was getting after weeing herself, so I turned the temperature on these waaaaay down. Not so as to cause her pain, but cold enough that she wouldn't be thinking "nice one! Shower!".

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katieboo84

im tryin stickers at the mo, same thing, one skicker for a wee and 2 for a poo that seems to be workin. well it worked for 2 days so i know she can do it so i think il try leavin it her sit in the poo for an extra few min instead of changin her straigh away, ohhh i duno its mind bogglin aint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ah, we had used the stickers initially, then she started going backwards, so we switched to sweets. The stickers are a winner alright. My wife printed out a peppa pig star chart which she was very excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Bribery

Our little one did exactly the same thing.

We used the treat to watch a DVD, and then later a sweet.

Worked a treat , now overnight ones , we have yet to broach that one , but I figure one day at a time !

Good luck OP

Advertisement