Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making my own version of this?

• 19-10-2009 9:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I saw this costume on ebay, and I quite like it. Given the price, though, I'd say it's not nearly as fitted as I'd like. Do you think it would be possible to cheaply make my own version? The bit I'd say will be hardest would be finding an appropriate corset that won't break the bank! This is it:

157649740_tp.jpg

If anyone could give me any tips on how to go about making this, I'd really appreciate it! Especially with regards where to get the different elements. I'm based in Cork, and am open to buying online. Thanks!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

I searched high and low, in shops and online and couldnt find any of those peasent/wench tops for myself this halloween. I guess you could make you own if you are pretty handy with a needle and thread.

The underbust corset you can have a look for on ebay or again I guess get the needle and thread out, you could just get a felt material and sew it to the top. The skirt you could again just get material or buy a skirt and a tulle[afaik claires accessories have these atm] and just add detail, any good habidashery places [hickeys etc] will have stuff you could sew on. Afaik the outfit above is all attached.

There are a few places on ebay that do similar costumes in very small sizes [4-8 etc iirc] Amazon also sell a similar costume if you decide to fork out on it.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Have you checked the €2 shop, there are loads of outfits like that in the €2 shops in Dublin and cheap shops like Guineys, I'm sure it's similar in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Hi Faith,
    I'm in Cork too and got my costume in madd last weekend.
    I'm going to be a musketeer :D:D

They've a great selection and were really helpful.
    When they didn't have my size they checked the small shoppy across the road (that one's closed onsundays) and the stock room and found it.
    So ask if there's something you like.

I got my costume online last year and the postal charges were expensive compared to getting one in a store.

If you can you should try make it there before next weekned though, it gets crazy the weekend before halloween.
    Hope you get something you like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I'm awful lazy :pac: so if it was me I'd just buy this instead http://www.thecostumeshop.ie/costume/sexy-dorothy-costume-wizard-of-oz-.html

When you factor in time, parking charges etc its going to cost more money and hassle that just clicking and buying imo :)

(wow I really am lazy!:eek:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for the replies!

WRT the underbust corset - do you think I'd be okay buying off eBay? I know there's a few places in Cork that might sell one, but I couldn't be arsed tramping around in the rain trying to find one. The only problem with ebay is that they're all black, and I'm afraid it will look too severe!

I know it would be cheaper to buy the outfit whole, but I really want the corset look, and I won't get that with a cheap ready-made outfit :(.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Just came accross this top on Asos for a bargain too! In case anyone is looking for something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Great selection of this sort of thing at www.3wishes.com

Lots of them in fact if you have the patience to sift thru.

It's a US site tho so you'd prob want to get ordering pretty soon:)

Advertisement