Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

My wife just received a litter fine from the local council for leaving a plastic bag on top of a pile of boxes at the local bottle bank. CCTV footage stills were enclosed which show her car and a person depositing bottles-she is being pursued as the registered owner of the car.

On the day in question, my wife's brother drove (in her car) with our son to the bottle bank (wine party previous night). He has no recollection of doing anything with a plastic bag but, having brought the bottles in a few plastic bags, admits that he could have left a bag there after removing the bottles. The area does tend to be in a bit of a state which is probably why they are now intent on cleaning it up.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

If they intend to start now they'll probably start making examples of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well they provided the evidence, so ask him nicely to cough up the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can transfer speeding fines to the person responsible, so I'd imagine that she should ring the council and tell them to transfer the fine to him, assuming that he will accept it.

Oh, and in future, tell him to use a rubbish bin, or take it home with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or don't park close to the bottle bank... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

maybe you should be munsterREcycling..........(I'll get my coat...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Run run very fast as I'm coming to Drive over you... OK i'll get mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FionaC

I had an experience of this...

I used my mums car when she was on holidays. I brought a load of boxes of glass and cans to the bottle-bank. One of the boxes was leaking really bad without thinking much of it i left it with a pile of boxes other people had stacked beside the bins.

I admit it was silly never really thought of it as littering. My mum got sent a €150 fine for dumping from a vehicle. She said she was out of the country and had proof. Left it a while and a notice came in the door for 10 days to pay the fine or face court. So obviously we paid.

There is no getting out of it one of you will have to pay once they have the footage of your car it doesn't matter who was driving you are responsible as the litter was dumped from it.

Best of luck, I learnt my lesson anyways:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i think technically because the car was used to transport the waste to the site the council will go after the registered owner just as if you throw cigarette buts out the passenger window while driving the owner of the vechicle is fined for allowing the vehicle be used in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

FionaC wrote: »
    I used my mums car when she was on holidays. I brought a load of boxes of glass and cans to the bottle-bank. One of the boxes was leaking really bad without thinking much of it i left it with a pile of boxes other people had stacked beside the bins.

That's pretty inconsiderate when you think of the poor person who has to sort the glass has to deal with mouldy sticky wine bottles, not to mention the fact that would attract wasps and other insects to the bottle bank.

It only takes a few seconds to give a bottle or can a quick rinse before you stick it in your recycling box at home.

Advertisement