Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU BLEW UP

Options
  • 19-10-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Plugged in my computer today. It's a fairly new build then all of a sudden the psu blew.I have an antec 900 so could see the sparks and smoke. I should of change the psu a while ago as i had noticed it would pop every now and again when plugged in. Its a corsair tx650. I have attached an old psu for the moment and everything seems to be working. I just have few questions this is my second psu to blow in the last year or so. The fuse in the plug of the psu has blown which makes me think it might be the socket. It was plugged into a surge protector. Any ideas yous guys might have that caused this would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If there's a good quality surge protector, then it shouldn't be the socket. A light bulb will pop before your PSU does.

Question: Why are you unplugging the PSU all the time? Are you unplugging it from the wall, or are you unplugging the "kettle" end of the lead? There's really no reason to go unplugging the PSU, unless you're running out of sockets. If you're running out of sockets, then you're overloading and that's not good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

List all your components and any overclocking on them (by you or the manufacturer). And if that Corsair isn't even a year old then RMA its ass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

hi slutmonkey i think its a good qualty surge protector.
    I am not unplugging it all the time. The socket has a switch. I switch it off when i go out. Which is everyday. When i switch it back on it would pop.

Hi solitare
    No overclocking.
    I bought the psu off a guy on adverts maybe 6-7 months ago. To RMA to Corsair would cost me postage and packaging to amsterdam where there returns department is. Which would probably cost me the same as buying a new one.

I just thought some one might have some ideas what might of caused it considering the fuse blew in the plug as well.

Case :Antec 900
    Mobo: Asus P5qe
    Processor: Core 2 Duo E6400
    Ram: Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5
    Psu: corsair tx650
    GPU: ATI 4850

maybe i just have to settle with it was a dodgy power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

lockers55 wrote: »
    hi slutmonkey i think its a good qualty surge protector.
    I am not unplugging it all the time. The socket has a switch. I switch it off when i go out. Which is everyday. When i switch it back on it would pop.

Hi solitare
    No overclocking.
    I bought the psu off a guy on adverts maybe 6-7 months ago. To RMA to Corsair would cost me postage and packaging to amsterdam where there returns department is. Which would probably cost me the same as buying a new one.

I just thought some one might have some ideas what might of caused it considering the fuse blew in the plug as well.

Case :Antec 900
    Mobo: Asus P5qe
    Processor: Core 2 Duo E6400
    Ram: Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5
    Psu: corsair tx650
    GPU: ATI 4850

Might have. Firstly, there's no reason to switch everything off at the socket every day. If your computer is off, it's off any "residual" current running through the system isn't putting up your bills. There are plenty of cheap surge protectors out there that when you open them up, you discover aren't connected to much, if anything.

If you're worried about something else causing the PSU to blow, like a dodgy socket, then move the computer and leave some table lamps plugged in there with an old light bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I used to look at my 750w corsair as if it was the most reliable part in my box.. I can't see any reason why it could have blown, your parts aren't stressing it. Maybe the previous owner really put it through its pases but you've had it for so long too...

Sounds like something on the primary shorted, hope its not the transformer or you'll need a new PC :( Damn rare for a CWT transformer to just go up in flames like that though! :eek: Most likely a mechanical issue - i.e. a wire or conductor of some variety came loose inside and touched something important.

ok slutmonkey57b, you have a vaild point about switching the socket off everyday. I won't do that anymore. I dont think that would cause it but its a possibility. Secondly i have now moved my computer to another room. I will try the lamp idea and will let you know.

StopNotWorking maybe your right about the previous owner putting it through its pases. It is my second psu to blow in the last year or so which makes me believe it has something to do with me and not the previous owner.

Solitaire: Do u mean a mechanical issue inside my psu or computer. If its the computer you mean when the psu was popping before it blew up. I had taken everything out and rechecked it. My other power supply had popped with a different mobo inside my case. Everything else in my computer was the same.

Popping... sounds like something inside the PSU had come loose/been exposed and caused electrical arcing which damaged the unit every time the PC was powered up, and finally forced the transformer or one of the big primary filter caps to say goodnight :o PC is innocent of all charges! ;) They rarely have anything to do with PSUs blowing up anyway (unless the components demand too much current, but there's several layers of protection to shut down the PSU even in the rare event someone managed to do that!); usually its the PSU itself, or sometimes a bad line condition. After all, a surge protector protects you from surges :P Pretty much any short of a UPS won't do squat about a "bad" AC waveform that can slowly burn stuff to bits :o

• Advertisement

thanks solitaire for your help

Advertisement