Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway a good place to live??

Options
  • 19-10-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I am from Wexford but have visited Galway a number of times and find it a great place, the buzz around the city is great as it is like a good Irish tradtional place whereas other cities have lost the tradition.

Im from Wexford and have just finished a Masters but I am unsure of where to go next. Im not found of Wexford because it has no character well not like Galway anyway. I hope to lecture in GMIT if I moved to Galway in the near future. Is it hard to meet people as I wouldnt know anyone up there??

If you have any opinions/advice it would be great.:D:cool::P

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Don't move to Galway, it's wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi
    As you can see from Google this question has come up a few times.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=moving+to+galway+site%3Aboards.ie
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=move+to+galway+site%3Aboards.ie
    Hope you'll find some answers in these threads.

As to meeting people, it's the same everywhere - hard to get to know locals properly as they already have friends. Easier to get to know other blow-ins first and then locals as you get more into things, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I like the fish place on shop st near durys

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

You mean McDonagh's fish shop beside Jury's? Mmm it's okay at best. Has disimproved in recent times. Was in it couple of weeks ago and i found food was dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Peter M. Gibson

Cleggan is lovely.

Next parish is Newfoundland 2500 miles to the west.
    Iceland is just 5 rowing days to the North.

Cleggan has lovely people on the edge of the atlantic who look like weather beaten Icelandic or,on the odd ocassion,Basque sea people.

The Basques were the first they say.
    But:
    The nearby Vikings in Iceland never really left Cleggan.

Not to mentions all the invaders from the outside world..the dread English.. beyond the Twelve Bens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dickybird wrote: »
    Hi,

I am from Wexford but have visited Galway a number of times and find it a great place, the buzz around the city is great as it is like a good Irish tradtional place whereas other cities have lost the tradition.

Im from Wexford and have just finished a Masters but I am unsure of where to go next. Im not found of Wexford because it has no character well not like Galway anyway. I hope to lecture in GMIT if I moved to Galway in the near future. Is it hard to meet people as I wouldnt know anyone up there??

If you have any opinions/advice it would be great.:D:cool::P
    May I politely suggest that you look for a job first, and then when you get offered one, move to wherever that job is.

Jobs in Galway are tightly held, to put it mildly. Something to do with people liking the lifestyle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

I moved to Galway from Dublin about 18 months ago. Actually to the county rather than the city.

From my experience I couldn't recommend it highly enough. People are really nice, friendly and relaxed. Always a buzz around the city, and spectacular scenary in the county.

Best of luck with the move if you make it.

Advertisement