Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off clare

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

That must have been damn good cake for that price sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I'm trying to think was I ever more ripped off than I was yesterday in Fanore.

The cafe/deli longside the shop with the post office in it ... Le Toca or something along those lines

€17 for two teas and two slices of cake

still a bit shocked to be honest

Jesus christ!! I can't stand that type of ****e. Why did the government make sure to lower everyones wages and there was a big furore over that, only to ignore prices?!! I really don't think prices have come down enough. And are you serious that you didn't actually order anything else to make it €17?! I actually don't think I'd have paid :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

It was my own fault really - full menu on the door on the way in that I could have checked but just breezed past as all we wanted to do was pass a half hour and its a nice location.

Kind of knew we were goosed when the cake came out on slate dressed up like something on celebrity master chef!

€6 each for the cake and and €2.75 for a cup of tea each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

diddley wrote: »
    Why did the government make sure to lower everyones wages and there was a big furore over that, only to ignore prices?!!/

Er... since when does the government control prices?
    Prices are a function of market forces

How was the overpriced cake in question? I've heard that place does good food

In fairness the cake was nice but they wont have the pleasure of my custom again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Er... since when does the government control prices?
    Prices are a function of market forces

How was the overpriced cake in question? I've heard that place does good food

Do the government not have a responsibility (particularly the consumer agencies) to act as watchdog over prices? If wages in general were decreasing by 10% why shouldn't prices be lowered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

diddley wrote: »
    Do the government not have a responsibility (particularly the consumer agencies) to act as watchdog over prices? If wages in general were decreasing by 10% why shouldn't prices be lowered?

In short NO they dont and never have, just as they have no control over wages in the private sector.
    Consumer agencies can only intervene in situations such as monopoly abuses, cartels etc and in strategic areas such as provision of vital services such as electricity, gas etc. which are regulated by their respective regulator.

For everything else its capitalism all the way and price is determined by good old supply and demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

there's a cafe along the coast near Lisdoonvarna, can't remember the name precisely but I think it rhymes with Tabasco, where they charged 12.50 for a bowl of fish soup last month. You can get a good meal in Dublin for less than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 organic64

hi guys,

i am from clare also and i went into the post office in fenore on sunday for 2 teas,christ when i saw the little paper cut of tea i got and costing 1.40 each.i was going to say something but decided not to.its about time all of this rip off stopped.

dont start me on the caves,they r really creaming it.i am not surprised that we dont get tourists in clare,the prices r through the roof in this county.

cbreeze wrote: »
    there's a cafe along the coast near Lisdoonvarna, can't remember the name precisely but I think it rhymes with Tabasco, where they charged 12.50 for a bowl of fish soup last month. You can get a good meal in Dublin for less than that!

thats the same joint I was referring to earlier ... Le Tasoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

organic64 wrote: »
    hi guys,

i am from clare also and i went into the post office in fenore on sunday for 2 teas,christ when i saw the little paper cut of tea i got and costing 1.40 each.i was going to say something but decided not to.its about time all of this rip off stopped.

dont start me on the caves,they r really creaming it.i am not surprised that we dont get tourists in clare,the prices r through the roof in this county.

Well this rip off won't stop unless we speak up and tell them we feel we are being overcharged and undernourished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 organic64

yeah, of course u r right,i know i can only blame myself,apathy is everywhere in ireland.if more people got up off their fat arses and started to protest about the banks, government etc things would get done.

paddy again is being taken for a ride, ah sure treat us like mushrooms,keep us in the dark and feed us ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Balagan wrote: »
    You have found "a civilized country to move to" Dr. Fuzzenstein?

Where, pray tell?

Bit torn between Sweden and Germany at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 benix1

but in cliffs of mother it is still a ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

golfball37 wrote: »
    Does Rip off Ireland really exist?

The Guinness test says it all. Every pint of Guinness for all markets is brewed at St James gate in Dublin.

Why [taking into account transport & distribution costs, excise etc] does a pint of Guinness cost more in Ireland than it does anywhere else in the world on average?

To dispute User Friendly's analysis:

From Indymedia (http://www.indymedia.ie/article/65254?userlanguage=ga&save_prefs=true)

"The multinational drinks company announced yesterday that they would increase the wholesale price of Guinness in Ireland by 6c as of next Tuesday, 1 June 2004."

"On 1 April Diageo dropped the wholesale price of Guinness for the Czech Republic, where they face stiff competition from local brands, and imports Heineken and Murphy's Irish Stout. They also announced in April that they will close the Park Royal Brewery in London, laying off 200 workers. You would expect that this would result in cost savings, which could be passed on to the consumer. There is no excuse for this price hike."

What the market will bear is the reason for Rip-off Ireland. When we ONLY pay for reasonable service/prices, then and only then will they get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

organic64 wrote: »
    hi guys,

Here's my view on average prices north of Lahinch all along the coast up to Kinvara. This region has a history of overcharging based on some mistaken belief that by having a higher price somehow implies a better class of service/product. In my view everywhere west of the Shannon tries to fleece international tourists if they can possibly get away with it.

If one business charges 10% more than the next and are still getting business, then the others mostly all follow suit, as it's 10% extra in their pockets for the same work/outlay as before. So prices rise but rarely fall, even in a recession. Their business model is only adapted upwards, unless there is a sectorwide movement (B&Bs reacting to rock bottom NAMA hotel prices and no tourists).

There are some notable exceptions in Lahinch and Doolin.

From Ballyvaughan to Kinvara and everywhere nearby are for the international tourist who will pay the price, since they love the place and may not be back soon. House prices from Lahinch to Kinvara were through the roof, even in comparison to the rest of the country, therefore people with that kind of money bought these houses as holiday homes and added their high incomes to the mix. Certain other establishments think they should be on this gravy train, Liscannor, Cliffs, Caves etc.

An example, Ailwee Cave now costs €17. You are forced to pay for both the cave and birds of prey display. So for two adults €34. That kind of price is (in native speak) Scandalous! Instead of scaling the business to meet demand for off, shoulder and high season, instead they just try to rip everyone off all the time. I won't be sorry to see them gone, along with all the other failed businesses that are still overcharging. Very few, if any, have reduced their prices over the past two years. They will know all about it in 2011. We haven't seen the start of this recession, and next year will be a financial disaster for anyone not efficient and competitive.

The car park at the cliffs used to cost IR£1 to park your car in the 80's. We thought that was a rip off then too, since there was NO maintenance to anything being done for the money. Their was a small cafe, shop and toilets, which you would assume were self-funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I was going to ask the question "Why does nearly everything seem to cost more in Ireland than the rest of the world?" - but I guess this answers the question:
    luap_42 wrote: »
    To dispute User Friendly's analysis:

From Indymedia (http://www.indymedia.ie/article/65254?userlanguage=ga&save_prefs=true)

"The multinational drinks company announced yesterday that they would increase the wholesale price of Guinness in Ireland by 6c as of next Tuesday, 1 June 2004."

"On 1 April Diageo dropped the wholesale price of Guinness for the Czech Republic, where they face stiff competition from local brands, and imports Heineken and Murphy's Irish Stout. They also announced in April that they will close the Park Royal Brewery in London, laying off 200 workers. You would expect that this would result in cost savings, which could be passed on to the consumer. There is no excuse for this price hike."

What the market will bear is the reason for Rip-off Ireland. When we ONLY pay for reasonable service/prices, then and only then will they get the message.

Advertisement