Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to feed pomenarian puppy?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I have a pom puppy about 14 weeks old and am feeding him Hills Science Plan as recommended by the Vet. I was instructed to feed him 25g per meal(x3) per day but noticed tonight that he was eating his own ****! Is this normal? I checked the Hills website and this would suggest that I should be feeding him 90g(guessing a bit at his weight). This is the first dog I have owned and any advice would be appreciated

http://www.hillspet.co.uk/adult/products/product.aspx?pid=3&packform=Bag&sc_lang=en-GB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would go by the food guidelines on the bag as they are the best rules to follow, the vet wouldnt know exactly what to feed.

If it says 90g in total then that should be split into 3 or 4 meals for the day.

Some dogs eat their own poo, try adding some fresh pineapple chunks into his food, this should stop them eating their own poo as it makes it taste horrible to them.

Try cleaning up his poo as soon as possible so he doesnt have the chance to do this and also correct him and tell him no if you catch him doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

andreac wrote: »
    I would go by the food guidelines on the bag as they are the best rules to follow, the vet wouldnt know exactly what to feed.

If it says 90g in total then that should be split into 3 or 4 meals for the day.

Some dogs eat their own poo, try adding some fresh pineapple chunks into his food, this should stop them eating their own poo as it makes it taste horrible to them.

Try cleaning up his poo as soon as possible so he doesnt have the chance to do this and also correct him and tell him no if you catch him doing so.

Will tinned pineapple work? My youngest dog eats not only her own poo but those of the other two as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep it will, sorry, meant to say fresh or tinned.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Most puppies eat their poop, but if you don't want poopey puppy breath then as said the pineapple is very effective. I've always used the tinned stuff with no additives in it. Then I froze the rest and once or twice a week gave our pup some frozen pineapple which stops him eating his poop and also is cooling on his gums while he's teething.

You only need to give it for a few weeks they grow out of it quickly but the odd bit of frozen pineapple or ice cube is something to play with and helps with teething.

Advertisement