Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a past pupil of the North Monastery CBS in Cork?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Are you a past pupil of the North Monastery CBS in Cork?
    If so the we'd love to hear from you.
    With the 200 years anniversary of the founding of the North Mon fast approaching we are looking far and wide for past pupils to help us celebrate. We also aim to bring former classmates together.
    So if you were a Mon Boy please go to
    www.themonboys.freeforums.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ah yes where you can learn one of the many skills like how to throw a chair at your teacher (actually happened, not made up) and many more... Not havin a go just statin fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

So what is planned for the 200th anniversary?

I often worry about the snobbery going on within the North Mon itself. Whenever the AG appear in the media, they are at pains to suggest that Gaelcolaiste Mhuire is "on the grounds of the North Monastery" or "on the North Monastery Campus" or some other form of words to emphasise that they are different. This may well be the case, and they are to be commended for their recent moves to encourage interest in the history of the mon and its past pupils and staff, but I hope the anniversary celebrations will be done in a way that emphasises the good work that the entire institution did and continues to do.

Any indication as to whether the city council are going to do anything with the landmark buildings on the front of the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

So what is planned for the 200th anniversary?

I often worry about the snobbery going on within the North Mon itself. Whenever the AG appear in the media, they are at pains to suggest that Gaelcolaiste Mhuire is "on the grounds of the North Monastery" or "on the North Monastery Campus" or some other form of words to emphasise that they are different. This may well be the case, and they are to be commended for their recent moves to encourage interest in the history of the mon and its past pupils and staff, but I hope the anniversary celebrations will be done in a way that emphasises the good work that the entire institution did and continues to do.

Any indication as to whether the city council are going to do anything with the landmark buildings on the front of the site?

Hi Elian Dead Backyard

There is a committee in place that are drawing up plans for the 200 year anniversary but I do not know much else about them tbh.

I set up this site myself and it has no affiliation with the school, the PPU or anyone else but everyone is free to make use of it. My original aim was to find my old classmates and the site grew from there.

I do believe that Gaelcolaiste Mhuire is a separate school now which would explain the reports you seen.

As for the old AG, the City Council have done some remedial work around the grounds including placing perspex on the windows to prevent any vandalism. nothing has been done to the inside as yet. There is also a committee in place to oversee the refurbishment of the building which it is planned to turn into a gallery of some sort.

I too hope that the 200 years anniversary will recognize the good work done by many people over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep went to the AG, finished the year it was changed to Gaelcholáiste Mhuire with its new uniform.

Happy Days!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yep went to the AG, finished the year it was changed to Gaelcholáiste Mhuire with its new uniform.

Happy Days!

I think I have 2 photos of (what I think) was the last day in the AG. Bishop Buckley is giving a mass and the foxy guy from the "Joy in Da Hood" show is in one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Any ideas why the Mon don't seem to be competing in the Harty Cup again this year?

Mon Abu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Ah yes where you can learn one of the many skills like how to throw a chair at your teacher (actually happened, not made up) and many more... Not havin a go just statin fact

+1 unfortunately.

Any ideas why the Mon don't seem to be competing in the Harty Cup again this year?

Mon Abu.

I've no idea but seen this in the Echo last week

1d688384.jpg

97b04f91.jpg

themonboys wrote: »
    I think I have 2 photos of (what I think) was the last day in the AG. Bishop Buckley is giving a mass and the foxy guy from the "Joy in Da Hood" show is in one of them.

Christ I don't know think that may have been our Graduation mass or something. Mind sending them on to me for a gander?

The hurling was going down the pan for years, they had great players from city clubs but only trained for 30-40 mins a week cant do much with that!

Christ I don't know think that may have been our Graduation mass or something. Mind sending them on to me for a gander?

The hurling was going down the pan for years, they had great players from city clubs but only trained for 30-40 mins a week cant do much with that!

I had a really good look for those pics but can't seem to find them, sorry. I know where there is more of them in the school, I'll try and see if I can get them and send them onto you.

It's a shame about the hurling, they must have some great players in the school with such strong local clubs in the area, I'll try and find out more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

yes, past pupil of the AG, 5 years of Irish and learning by rote but t'was grand. haven't set foot inside the grounds since the final leaving cert exam 11 years ago.

I remember when the school won the 1994 harty cup and going to the away matches. Good times!

foxyboxer wrote: »
    yes, past pupil of the AG, 5 years of Irish and learning by rote but t'was grand. haven't set foot inside the grounds since the final leaving cert exam 11 years ago.

I remember when the school won the 1994 harty cup and going to the away matches. Good times!

I went to every match in '94, good old times.

The North Monastery Past Pupils Union are holding their annual dinner in the Imperial Hotel, South Mall on the 21st of November at 7.30pm. Tickets can be got from the PPU or at the door.

Happy Birthday to the Mon, it all started 198 years ago today.

The North Mon PPU held its dinner last night in the Imperial Hotel. Over 70 people braved the weather and flooding to attend. Prizes were given to the best pupils from the primary, secondary and the AG.
    Among those in attendance were the Lord Mayor, Donal O Grady, Tony Duggan, Jim Boyle, Br Keating and the presidents of Christians and Midleton CBS's.

34b70d5e.jpg

d88a38d8.jpg

ff024d93.jpg

http://themonboys.freeforums.org/

Bump

If found those 2 pictures, I knew they would turn up again!!!
    I don't have a scanner but I'll sort something out and sent them onto you soon.

The North Mon PPU held their AGM last Wednesday night. A new board has been put in place. With a very busy year of planning for the 200 year anniversary, the PPU are calling on all past pupils to help out in any way they can.

You can help out by joining the PPU, membership is only a modest 10euro ( please PM me and I'll arrange it for you) and the money will go a long way to funding the many projects that are being planned.
    You can also help out with the more practical matters. Just attend any meeting of the PPU ( the next is on the Wednesday 13th Jan in the Brothers house on Fair Hill)
    If you have any suggestion please post them up or PM me all I pass them on.

An Mhainistir Thuaidh

PS I'll send those pics on to you razorblunt over the weekend

Pictures sent.

Cheers for that lad, thanks for going to the hassle of throwing them up.

Can't believe that was 7 years ago the mixture of the old and new uniforms in there was gas! You'd miss the old Aifreann na Nollaig all the same ;)

Just found myself in one of those pics, I've thrown it up on my facebook to tag some of the lads if thats ok?

• Advertisement

Cheers for that lad, thanks for going to the hassle of throwing them up.

Can't believe that was 7 years ago the mixture of the old and new uniforms in there was gas! You'd miss the old Aifreann na Nollaig all the same ;)
    Just found myself in one of those pics, I've thrown it up on my facebook to tag some of the lads if thats ok?

No problem at all and if any of them have pictures they might send them on and I'll post them with the rest of the class photos.

Anyone got pictures of the Mon, class pictures etc?

A new principal, Mr Evans, has started in the Mon after the untimely death of Paddy Mulcahy.

Hi all, we are searching high and low of photographs of the North Mon so if you got any or know of a place that might ( like the Echo offices etc) please, please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

The foxy fella was in my class.

I miss johnny bug ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I was a pupil there, was there for 4th,5th and 6th class in the primary. That was 1990,91,92 i think. The good aul days with white sheets, yellow and red cards.

corkhero wrote: »
    The foxy fella was in my class.

I miss johnny bug ha

You might in those photos too so.
    theboss80 wrote: »
    I was a pupil there, was there for 4th,5th and 6th class in the primary. That was 1990,91,92 i think. The good aul days with white sheets, yellow and red cards.

If you even head back to the Mon primary, go to Mon A and there's loads of photos on the walls from round that time, you might find yourself in one of them!

Still looking for pictures of the Mon.

Anyone got photos of the Mon?

• Advertisement

themonboys wrote: »
    Anyone got photos of the Mon?

Advertisement