Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duleek The Spire

Options
  • 20-10-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know what is going on with this restaurant:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

It closed a few months ago, wasn't doing enough business to keep open, which is a shame cos the food was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

It was nice, unfortunately the clientele it was aiming at doesn't exist in the area.

faigs wrote: »
    It was nice, unfortunately the clientele it was aiming at doesn't exist in the area.

LOL whatcha tryna say about Duleek people ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Zorba wrote: »
    That they prefer Marios/Little Naples/The Eurospar, probably.

The Spire was trading as an Italian restaurant in the last couple of months of it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The spire "Bella Italia" was overpriced and underportioned. A bit like the kip oscars across the road from it. It should have modeled itself on daly's customer service and it would have done as well as the old spire did.

I am told the public liability on that building is very expensive because it is considered risky. However I figure being 10 mins from drogheda,slane and Navan being 15 min from ashbourne and having dalys up in donore only a coffee shop will do well in duleek

• Advertisement

It should have modeled itself on daly's customer service and it would have done as well as the old spire did.
    What's Dalys like?

I can't understand how Oscars and the other Italian up the road stay afloat, heard good things about the Limetree.

What's Dalys like?

I can't understand how Oscars and the other Italian up the road stay afloat, heard good things about the Limetree.

Dalys is very nice. Very very nice. They do a good cavery as well. Oscars is sh1te. The colosero or what ever its called is ok but i would not go there and I am not fussy!

The limetree has good fry ups a great chop buy poor decor. Very poor. I would go there however maybe once a week for a fry.

Dalys is very nice. Very very nice. They do a good cavery as well.
    Myself and the missus went there today on your recommendation.

Lovely place, the carvery was pretty good, it didn't really rock my world. Our cokes were flat - might be nit picking of me, but when you're paying €2.50 for bar 'splits' you expect a little better. I'd like to go back and try the a la carte sometime. It's always nice that you can see the kitchen from the dining area.

It's still not a patch on the Snailbox!

Wild horses wouldn't drag me back to the Chinese - myself and the missus were very sick on two separate occasions after getting take-outs from there. The kitchen looked filthy even from the peek-a-boo glimpse you get when the service hatch opens and closes.

Can't beat Little Naples for pizza.

Myself and the missus went there today on your recommendation.

Lovely place, the carvery was pretty good, it didn't really rock my world. Our cokes were flat - might be nit picking of me, but when you're paying €2.50 for bar 'splits' you expect a little better. I'd like to go back and try the a la carte sometime. It's always nice that you can see the kitchen from the dining area.

It's still not a patch on the Snailbox!

Wild horses wouldn't drag me back to the Chinese - myself and the missus were very sick on two separate occasions after getting take-outs from there. The kitchen looked filthy even from the peek-a-boo glimpse you get when the service hatch opens and closes.

Ah... My apologies. The snailbox is great. littel naples is nice as well. Although I am a happy camper with a goodfella's and a garlic bread.

The glenside is also lovely for lunch during the day. Thats on the dublin drogheda road.

Ah... My apologies.
    No bother...the missus enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

There was also the time about 2 yrs ago when that chinese was closed down for a week or so but didn't look as if it got redecorated or anything which led me to believe that health and safety must have closed it, so never went back, first time was bad enough !

I'd agree that Little Naples is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I'm from Duleek, but the restaurant was overpriced and too fussy for the area. Duleek/Drogheda people want a friendly, relaxed and simple restaurant with a bill of fare that they understand, The Spire would have to have been in Dublin or another large city to do well. Lets face it Drogheda is largely a working class town, and Duleek doesn't really have enough of the clientele they were aiming at either, and so the catchment area isn't big enough for repeat customers. A lot of people said the portions were too small, but they just don't understand that type of cooking and serving, they expect everything with a big plate of chips on the side or a pile of spuds to fill them up. They'd react similarly to fine dining restaurants anywhere in the country.That's my opinion on reports I heard at the time anyway.

I used to work in Daly's 8 or 9 years ago when the Dalys owned it, I thought it went downhill after it was sold?

faigs wrote: »
    I'm from Duleek, but the restaurant was overpriced and too fussy for the area. Duleek/Drogheda people want a friendly, relaxed and simple restaurant with a bill of fare that they understand, The Spire would have to have been in Dublin or another large city to do well. Lets face it Drogheda is largely a working class town, and Duleek doesn't really have enough of the clientele they were aiming at either, and so the catchment area isn't big enough for repeat customers. A lot of people said the portions were too small, but they just don't understand that type of cooking and serving, they expect everything with a big plate of chips on the side or a pile of spuds to fill them up. They'd react similarly to fine dining restaurants anywhere in the country.That's my opinion on reports I heard at the time anyway.

I used to work in Daly's 8 or 9 years ago when the Dalys owned it, I thought it went downhill after it was sold?

I'd agree it was a bit pricey and that it wasn't in a big enough catchment area for the type of food and service. Was in it a few times myself and thought the portion sizes were grand and thought the food was very nice, but do agree it was on the pricey side.

Someone else asked how's Oscar's still going, well i'd imagine it's O'Neills pub that keeps Oscar's going, suprised it's lasted so long myself.

I was talking to someone in the village tonight about oscars/ For reasons more than here. I asked how it was going. Not to well app since the tax office closed. It seems it has lost out of town custom and the owner is not to popular with the locals to get the in town custom....

the owner is not to popular with the locals to get the in town custom....

LOL that doesn't suprise me what with purple/pink pubs and the like

LOL that doesn't suprise me what with purple/pink pubs and the like

You have clealy not been in Duleek for a while. Purple pink is gone. By the owner I was refering to the female one and not the one that owns o neils.

You have clealy not been in Duleek for a while. Purple pink is gone. By the owner I was refering to the female one and not the one that owns o neils.

Ermmm i actually live in Duleek :)

And the female and male are partners as in living together, not just in business.

Ermmm i actually live in Duleek :)

And the female and male are partners as in living together, not just in business.

Well then you know purple and pink are gone. I now about the status I did not want to tarnish his rep by being listed with her. ;)

Well then you know purple and pink are gone. I now about the status I did not want to tarnish his rep by being listed with her. ;)

LOL well they don't exactly hide their status ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Dig up this old nugget ...after many years the spire is to reopen in 2 weeks .....bistro/gastro pubby style food family friendly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Vego wrote: »
    Dig up this old nugget ...after many years the spire is to reopen in 2 weeks .....bistro/gastro pubby style food family friendly...

As they said in "Grease" tell me more, tell me more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Facebook I suppose would be your best bet ...opening the 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bull McCabe1920

Best of luck with the spire which will open shortly under new management.

Advertisement