Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike under 2 hours drive!

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. With the summer over time for be to start thinking about winter piking. Blessington's closed for october and I only went once after paying 30 squibs for the licence. I do my pike fishing on Ramor in Virginia and a couple of spots in Leitrim. Id like to go somewhere nearer to the big smoke, so I can just make a day of it and not have to drive for 3 hours. If anyone could help me with a few good spots could they PM me please. I am a responsible and experienced angler, so no need to worry about me taking or mishandling fish etc. I want to get into Pike angling more seriously this year and its no fun staying in b&bs down the country by myself just for a days fishing. Any info would be much appreciated. Im thinking of trying the canal in kilcock myself. Has anyone ever had a pike out of the liffey? Or Maynooth? Frank???

Alternitvely if someone is going on a session and they dont mind me coming along, let me know.

Thanks

Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mick5

Hi, I'm in the same boat as Cormdogg. I am not a messer and learned how to properly fish for and handle pike by going out with the Dublin Pike Anglers when I was much younger. I have recently got back into the sport and visited a spot 1.5hrs from Dublin two weekends ago. Had some success with some 6/7lb pike but am also stuck as to which locations to try out. I would really appreciate any feedback and would also request poeple to PM me if they could offer any advice!! Thanks! Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

pm's's's's sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

Neil Hosey, if you could hit me up with one of those PM's, I'd be very grateful.

I know what I'm about, and have a suitable landing net, a number of forceps, etc. Experienced in handling fish, too. Just in case you think I'm clueless/dangerous/whatever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

A couple of suggestions lads, join a club or at least get involved in a dedicated coarse fishing forum. In no way am I taking any credit away from Boards cos they really do have everything in here for everybody but if you get involved in either of these two sites below you will get valuable info from experienced anglers around the country that will help you broaden your horizons. Also getting involved in a club where they have outings like we do you will make friends with lads that have the same interest as yourself and will have buddies to join you when you think about heading out in search of your quarry..

Ireland's Coarse Fishing

Cavan Fishing

Good luck with your next session anyway and a final suggestion would be to get as far off the beaten track as you can. You'd be surprised what you can find if you look for it even in very poor weather like this angler found to his credit recently with a fish of a lifetime for many pike anglers ;)

http://irelandscoarsefishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=313&start=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

There's another forum i'd highly recommend as there are many coarse fishers on there http://www.fishingtalkireland.com/forum/index.php

The lads there are very friendly and will help with any questions you have

wgsten

www.irishflyfisher.ie

Advertisement