Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eamonn gilmore on the frontline.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

gilmore has done ok. but its much easir to be on the outside lobbing grenades in than actually having to do anything. he is great at being outraged though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    There was a difference though. Lisbon needed all-party support to guarantee it would be passed. FG dont have to publically support anything because FF dont need them to pass anything. What might be best for the country is not necessarily best for FG in order to get them into power next election.

cutting public sector wages and cutting wellfare is good for the country , supporting such a move is good for fine gael as thier is a sleeping giant of private sector tax payers and also unemployed former private sector voters who have no party who see them as thier priority , why fine gael are not gunning for this demographic is what keeps me up at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i believe such an opportunity now exists for fine gael to aim for single party goverment without the milestone around their neck which is labour , we are living in unprecedented times ,possible economic collapse , mass exodus of traditional core fianna fail support , with the right leader , fine gael can hoover up the non public sector vote , i believe they must do two things , declare war on the unions and replace enda kenny , the man makes swing voters think twice

merley getting into goverment should not be the height of fine gael,s ambitions and if yet another coaltion involving labour is the limit to the parties aspirations , i for one despair for the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

This is a tad misleading. It was Ruairi Quinn as finance minister who kept Governmnet spending under control which was necesary for Irelands admittance into the first wave of countries to adopt the Euro. There is no evidence to suggest that Labour are in favour of spending more than we have. In fact the evidence is to the contrary.

FF are the Government who have spent big, lumping Labour in there is nonsense considering they have been out of power as long as FG.

FGs proposal in opposition to NAMA is no better than Labours plan to nationalise the banks. I dont see any of the great hope that you speak of.

Enda may appear to have shown leadership with his Seanad stunt, but it took him 4 days to get the full support of his party after that. Thats not the mark of a great political leader imo.

The biggest issue for most people in this country is Jobs. Keeping a job, getting a job, creating jobs. The cuts we need will stop this country going over the edge, but longer term we need a real strategy to bring us back to real economic growth. Where are the ideas from all parties on how they are going to achieve this?? This will be the single biggest issue come election time and the party with the best spin on job creation will get the votes

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    i believe such an opportunity now exists for fine gael to aim for single party goverment without the milestone around their neck which is labour , we are living in unprecedented times ,possible economic collapse , mass exodus of traditional core fianna fail support , with the right leader , fine gael can hoover up the non public sector vote , i believe they must do two things , declare war on the unions and replace enda kenny , the man makes swing voters think twice

merley getting into goverment should not be the height of fine gael,s ambitions and if yet another coaltion involving labour is the limit to the parties aspirations , i for one despair for the future

It was the rainbow coalitions policies which set this country on the road to the Celtic-Tiger era. This notion that FG and Labour cant work together well is a fallacy. In other periods of our history I will grant you this was the case, but as the last coalition proved there is a sensible middle ground which can lead this country forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Labour know what needs to be done but that would be playing right into FF hands publically saying as much. If Labour and FG both come out for big PS cuts then FF have the backing of all political parties to go and do it. The crisis will be averted and FF will be the heros of the day and the fools that voted them in 2 years ago will do so again based on the fact, " sure the other crowd are no different, better the devil you".

The facts are there is very little an alternative government can do differently in the short term. Thats why Labour keep hammering on NAMA, thats why Enda made his bold gesture last weekend. They have to oppose FF. You cant do that by agreeing with them.

I know that none of the above is good for the country, what we need is a united front to guide us out of this mess but its never going to happen. A national government was what was needed but that ship has long sailed. The opposition will continue to play politics until the Government falls. They cant actually change anything FF are doing anyway. Its the nature of opposition politics. That may be a very cynical view of our political system but thats how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sand wrote: »
    Iceland is not Ireland. Vastly different situations.

Here you go with this *we* **** again. *We* werent hours from bankruptcy. Your bank was because they were ****ing incompetent. I speak as someone with a fair amount in my bank account and I still dont buy this **** that I as an Irish citizen was somehow acting as a last resort lender for your ****ty banks balance sheet. Move your deposits to a bank that isnt run like a ****ing circus if you want it safe. Lenihan made a ****ing despicably stupid decision and Irish government policy since then has been reacting to the sheer, gross, moronic stupidity of the blanket guarantee, not only on deposits but also on investment instruments like bonds.
    Bless you.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

GUIGuy wrote: »
    In the majority they are (our) pension funds, other banks/institutions and govts.

See whenever I see that the bondholders were our pensions, all I read is fook the kids (next generation) as long as I'm alright.

Of coures that fits perfectly in with vote buying as the elderly are more likely to vote than those that can't or are in college away from home when the elections are on Thursday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement