Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd UPC connection issues:

• 20-10-2009 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Just got UPC installed this morning. The engineer tried accessing the internet on my laptop, he accessed google fine. The ps3 got connected, the other laptops in the house are working fine on it... but mines isn't.

I have no idea why, it's a new enough laptop! Only a year old (running Win7).

I can sometimes access the internet on it for about 30 seconds until it stops. Won't load youtube at all. Intermittent is the word for it.

Turning off the router, resetting the laptop, turning on the router again, lowering the security settings all did not work.

Does anyone have any ideas? Because i'm not fancying another half an hour wait to speak to someone at UPC tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Because i'm not fancying another half an hour wait to speak to someone at UPC tomorrow.

No point talking to UPC, as there's nothing wrong with it from their end. All the other computers work, so the problems is on your laptop.

What router did UPC provide, and what OS do you use on the laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

UPC will have nothing to say to you, they done their job. The network card in your machine might be having some trouble talking to the new router. Try updating its drivers and reconnecting to the network from a fresh start(Not using the existing settings, try reconnecting from scratch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Tried them suggestions, didnt work :(

I'm on Win7 and the router is a Cisco EPC2425

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is it wireless? if so try it with a network cable to rule out wireless issues if you have one (maybe one came with the router/modem?)

assuming it is, is your wireless connection actually dropping out (the internet icon should disappear), or are you just not able to access web pages?

if your wireless is dropping out totally, it could well be network interference. i know it seems unlikely with everything else connecting fine, but it's not impossible. i have half a dozen wireless devices at home and all except one were conecting fine but one just wouldn't hold a connection without dropping out. i changed the wireless channel to something a little quieter and it's been fine ever since.

if you've installed win7 on it then i assume you know your way around a PC well enough.

do you have a static IP address set in the tcp/ip properties that may be conflicting with an existing DHCP address on your new network? check for a static IP (never a good idea anyway with wireless devices imho) on your laptop and if it has one, either change to a DHCP assigned IP address or check the other devices on your LAN and change it to something considerably out of reach of the other devices.

do you know the IP address of the cisco router? should be 192.168.1.1 or possibly 192.168.1.100 (not sure as I don't have one, sorry). if you type ipconfig/all from a dos window the routers IP address is listed as the default gateway.

when you are connected, start a continuous ping to the router in one dos window by typing ping -t 192.168.1.x where x is the IP address of the router. this will kep pinging the router wihtout stopping until you either close the dos window or press ctrl+c.

also have another dos window open doing a continuous ping to boards.ie too for a comparison at the same time. when you lose your connection are both pings timing out or just one? or neither maybe?

if the connection to the router is stable and doesn't drop out but the boards.ie ping does, change the ping to the router over to the boards.ie ip address (which is 89.234.66.107) and go through the motions again with pings to boards.ie and also it's IP address in seperate windows and see if, when you lose connection next if you lose the ping to just boards.ie or it's IP address too.

if the IP is still working but the ping to boards.ie isn't then it's most likely a DNS resolution issue. check the properties of your network connection and add manual DNS entries for opendns into your TCP/IP settings (opendns servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). leave your IP address assignment set to automatic though.

okay, that ought to keep you going for a while, i'm off to bed. :)

I think they tried all of that on their end. They said my connection to the router was fine, they could see me too. The wierder thing is that I get tweetdeck notifications and I can download (albeit slowly) torrents. Just the web-browsing/iTunes Store etc dosent work.

• Advertisement

does it happen regardless of if you are torrenting or not, or just when you're torrent client is doing stuff?

the next time it happens, try putting the IP address of boards.ie into your browser address bar instead of the www address (just stick in 89.234.66.107 and hit enter) and see what happens.

if it works, then it's almost certainly a DNS issue and manually adding the DNS entries for either UPC or OpenDNS into the network properties of your laptop *should* fix the problem. if you're not sure how to do this, i can give you a step by step guide that you can complete in about 60 seconds.

vibe666 wrote: »
    does it happen regardless of if you are torrenting or not, or just when you're torrent client is doing stuff?

the next time it happens, try putting the IP address of boards.ie into your browser address bar instead of the www address (just stick in 89.234.66.107 and hit enter) and see what happens.

if it works, then it's almost certainly a DNS issue and manually adding the DNS entries for either UPC or OpenDNS into the network properties of your laptop *should* fix the problem. if you're not sure how to do this, i can give you a step by step guide that you can complete in about 60 seconds.

Yup it works when i do that

okay, just going to bed now as I'm up early in the morning so I didn't have time to check the win7 lappy for the exact procedure, so I borrowed this off another forum, but it should do the job for you.
    1. Open the Control Panel.

2. Open up Network and Internet and go to the Network and Sharing Center.

3. Click on Change adapter settings on the left hand panel.

4. This will bring up a list of adapters present on your computer. Most people will have a Local Area Connection while laptop users will add a Wireless Network Connection and possibly a Bluetooth Network Connection...go ahead and right click on Local Area Connection and click on Properties.

NOTE: These steps do not change if you are modifying the Wireless Network Connection instead

5. If prompted by UAC, click on Yes.

6. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on properties.

7. In the properties window you will see a few radio boxes with both of them saying Obtain an IP/DNS Address Automatically....we will leave the IP address alone and will change the Obtain DNS....to use the following:

In the Preferred DNS server boxes enter this sequence: 208.67.222.222

In the Alternate DNS server boxes enter this sequence: 208.67.220.220

8. Check the validate settings upon exit (Optional) check box, click OK, and then Close to finish.

9. Windows will check your settings (if you checked the option above) and you will be finished! Now start surfing to feel the effects of a quicker and more secure browsing experience!

let us know if that works. you could also add the openDNS servers into your router configuration so that anyone connected to it gets their DNS, but the others using your network aren't having any problems, so it seems like it's probably not necessary at this stage.

let us know if that works for you. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    okay, just going to bed now as I'm up early in the morning so I didn't have time to check the win7 lappy for the exact procedure, so I borrowed this off another forum, but it should do the job for you.

let us know if that works. you could also add the openDNS servers into your router configuration so that anyone connected to it gets their DNS, but the others using your network aren't having any problems, so it seems like it's probably not necessary at this stage.

let us know if that works for you. :)

Tried the steps in the quote, didnt work.

Tried the steps in the quote, didnt work.
    if you open a dos window and type ipconfig/all and hit enter, under your dns servers are the opendns IP addresses listed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'm having problems accessing http://www.viddler.com and any websites with embedded video from there. I'm on UPC in the Deansgrange area. Anyone else having similar problems?

did you do ipconfig/all or just ipconfig on it's own? ipconfig/all should show you a lot more information under your wireless connection.

Still having problems, did the ipconfig/all thing:

http://yfrog.com/j3upc1j
    http://yfrog.com/j3upc2j
    http://yfrog.com/jdupc3j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

make sure your wireless connection 2 is disabled

Bazzy wrote: »
    make sure your wireless connection 2 is disabled

How would I do that, im on Win7 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

How would I do that, im on Win7 by the way.
    Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings (On the left), Right click the wireless adapter and 'Disable'.

If you're connected directly to the UPC modem your ip address should start with and 89 (89.101.x.x any of the one I've seen anyway...), if the UPC modem is connected to another modem (thats got 4 ethernet ports at the back and a wireless thingy) chances are your ip address would be 10.0.0.x.

Either way, in Network & Sharing Center, click the 'Local Area Connection' your using (the one to the right of 'Connections:' ), then Properties, select 'Internet Protocol Version v (tcp/ipv4))' and click 'Properties', Have 'Obtain an IP Address automatically' checked and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' checked.

See if that works.

Yarnhall wrote: »
    Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings (On the left), Right click the wireless adapter and 'Disable'.

If you're connected directly to the UPC modem your ip address should start with and 89 (89.101.x.x any of the one I've seen anyway...), if the UPC modem is connected to another modem (thats got 4 ethernet ports at the back and a wireless thingy) chances are your ip address would be 10.0.0.x.

Either way, in Network & Sharing Center, click the 'Local Area Connection' your using (the one to the right of 'Connections:' ), then Properties, select 'Internet Protocol Version v (tcp/ipv4))' and click 'Properties', Have 'Obtain an IP Address automatically' checked and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' checked.

See if that works.

First tip worked for about a minute, couldnt load a youtube video ''error has occured'' came up and then it went slow and then back to the same old story. Second tip didnt work either.

I'm at the point where i'd give anyone a tenner to get it working for me (galway area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lbss

Hi, I could be a bit late on this one but there are a few more things you could try.

With regards to that 'Wireless Network Connection 2', it seems to be a virtual connection, possibly bridged if you run any virtual machine software (Windows in a window, - software like VMWare, Virtaul Box, MS Virtual PC etc. )

If none of that makes sence to you I would recomend deleting that icon 'Wireless Network Connection 2' as it could cause conflicts with your other network adapters. This is possible via the device manager -

Start> right click 'Computer'> Properties> (in the top left corner of the window that opens up, under 'Control Panel Home') - Device Manager

Look for '+ Network Adapters' in the list, expand it and look for 'Microsoft Virtual Wireless' or similar underneith it. Make sure you see the word 'Virtual' otherwise you may disable your wireless alltogether when we uninstall this device in the next step.

right click and select 'Uninstall' on the virtual connection. Follow the wizard until finnished.

Now to resolve any network issues.

Click Start > in the search box type 'cmd'.

in the results at the top of the menu RIGHT CLICK on 'cmd' and select 'Run As Administrator'.
    Click 'Allow/Continue' on the UAC warnings if they appear.

type the following commands one after another without the quotes hitting enter/return in between each one. These commands are only to erase winsock caches and flush your dns cache. They are harmless and part of routine network maintenance.

'netsh winsock reset catalog'
    'ipconfig/flushdns'

You will now need to reboot your laptop.

Other than that all your other settings seem fine from the screen dumps . I would recommend using your ISP's auto dns information as apposed to the details provided in the post above. i.e. set it back to Obtain an IP/DNS Address Automatically foo both IP and DNS information. This is because if there are problems with the static dns you have set you wont be able to view websites whereas your ISP will periodically update and change your dns servers spreading the load and guaranteeing better stability.

If none of the above works then it seems you are looking at a hardware issue, possibly faulty or more lightly a conflict between your wireless adapter and your wireless router. Confirm this by connecting your laptop to another wireless network successfuly.

Also the router configuartion/status pages should also provide logs to troubleshoot with. go to http://192.168.1.1/ in your web browser to access your router config. Username and Password are usually on a white label on the bottom of the router.

Hope any of the above info is of some use.

LBS Software

Advertisement