Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The knowledge economy myth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

#15 wrote: »
    Fair points.
    But come on man, could you imagine what kind of report I would get if I cut Irish down to 45 or 60 mins per week?:eek:

well, if you do 20-25 mins a day at least. it adds up. do your PE and Art through Irish and that gives even more Irish instruction time. songs through Irish - there's music covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    well, if you do 20-25 mins a day at least. it adds up. do your PE and Art through Irish and that gives even more Irish instruction time. songs through Irish - there's music covered.

Good ideas.
    The point we're making though, is that should Irish even be given 20-25 mins a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

You yourself insulted nice guy 80. As an advocate of aggressive moderation I can't complain about being reported.

I didn't edit my post because it was insulting to you but because initially I misunderstood what you'd typed. When I read the quoted text again i realised that you didn't say that you teach the syllabus no matter what but that you know people who do.
    You might be an excellent teacher but your colleagues who teach from a predetermined plan would need to be miracle workers to make up for that initial disdvantage.
    I hope that teachers who teach according to a strict plan determined by the department of education are insulted and offended. It is now clear that you are not one of those teachers. But you did defend them.

I also note that you've become more collegial to nice guy 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

MrMicra wrote: »
    You yourself insulted nice guy 80. As an advocate of aggressive moderation I can't complain about being reported.

I didn't edit my post because it was insulting to you but because initially I misunderstood what you'd typed. When I read the quoted text again i realised that you didn't say that you teach the syllabus no matter what but that you know people who do.
    You might be an excellent teacher but your colleagues who teach from a predetermined plan would need to be miracle workers to make up for that initial disdvantage.
    I hope that teachers who teach according to a strict plan determined by the department of education are insulted and offended. It is now clear that you are not one of those teachers. But you did defend them.

Fair enough, and I have already contacted the mods to say that you edited your post. I will do the same with mine, but in my defence, I was told to 'shove it up my _______' :) I didn't start the aggression, I had no reason to.

I was only defending them on the basis that it is hard to teach the way that you want to teach if you have inspectors breathing down your neck, almost forcing you to do exactly 3 and a half hours of Irish per week (I know one or two schools where this happened). I don't think many teachers like teaching in such a way.

Personally, I don't see the reasoning behind the dept guidelines (ie giving Maths and Science less time than Irish). The guidelines were brought up in the context of the discussion on the knowledge economy, as you know!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I notice that there was a new Technology subject introduced for the leaving cert. last year. This is great, but about 10 years overdue.

If you want to teach students technical skills - then teach them technology.

Not Maths or Irish or French or German.

There's a general perception that teaching Maths is enough to develop technical skills in children but this is entirely untrue - the way of thinking in solving maths problems is often very different from a technical skillset, and the formal structures in maths tend to stifle thinking outside of the box in a way that other approachs such as algorithm study do not suffer from.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Peanut wrote: »
    the formal structures in maths tend to stifle thinking outside of the box in a way that other approachs such as algorithm study do not suffer from.

Funnily enough one of the better skills that young kids can learn is all the tables to 10 x . By heart.

They retain the ability to quickly calculate ballpark numbers all their lives thereafter . Every basic discussion on innovative business and technology proceeds from ballpark figures. Lots of teachers think that this sort of skill is stifling, they are completely wrong ( unless they teach infants in which case they are right)

Spreadsheets exist to clean up these models after the discussion but the discussion cannot take place without mental arithmetic skills.

Many 'new' technology courses are only repackages of woodwork metalwork and tech drawing of rather varied merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Funnily enough one of the better skills that young kids can learn is all the tables to 10 x . By heart.

They retain the ability to quickly calculate ballpark numbers all their lives thereafter . Every basic discussion on innovative business and technology proceeds from ballpark figures. Lots of teachers think that this sort of skill is stifling, they are completely wrong ( unless they teach infants in which case they are right)

Completely agreed on the times tables. I still use them regularly for mental arithmetic. They're a completely different thing to the kind of complex problem solving that much of Mathematics is really about. Solving sums mentally isn't problem solving* it's memory really and benefits from well learned rules like times tables.

*As anyone who's done Maths in college can assure you the kind of arithmetic in second level is a very long way from the kind of abstract problem solving done at Third.

Peanut wrote: »
    There's a general perception that teaching Maths is enough to develop technical skills in children but this is entirely untrue - the way of thinking in solving maths problems is often very different from a technical skillset, and the formal structures in maths tend to stifle thinking outside of the box in a way that other approachs such as algorithm study do not suffer from.

The issue isn't really the formality of maths but the ability of students to see the abstract patterns and problem solving that lies behind it. Most students at second level that I've seen (I'm not a teacher) approach Maths as a set of rules to be learned off to get the right answer rather than as a logical exercise where the logic is what matters not the numbers.

I'm really not sure if you can "teach" barebones logic to young children or even teenagers in general and have much success. It's pretty damn boring to most people and makes mathematics look hip and exciting by comparison. Yet it underlies everything about things like algorithm study and someone well versed in logic can rapidly assimilate something like algorithm study because of this. But this is the minority, for the majority you'll have to take a less abstract approach if you're going to keep them interested and keep fully cognisant of what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭musky

Maths imo is the most important subject, I actually believe that it is the only universal language in the world.

I had the luxury of higher level in school and it gave me a great grounding when i studied engineering in uni, i now (when i get a new job) work in accounts and the lateral thinking i had to embrace to learn high level maths allows me to spot opportunities and solve work problems a hell of a lot quicker than my colleagues.

Irish on the other hand gives me nothing (still wish i knew it though)

nesf wrote: »
    Completely agreed on the times tables. I still use them regularly for mental arithmetic. They're a completely different thing to the kind of complex problem solving that much of Mathematics is really about. Solving sums mentally isn't problem solving* it's memory really and benefits

You would be amazed at all the excuses that primary teachers have not to teach them nowadays ...ie that the little dears would be bored and that it is not challenging the little dears properly .

Tosh . Utter Tosh .

• Advertisement

#15 wrote: »

I was only defending them on the basis that it is hard to teach the way that you want to teach if you have inspectors breathing down your neck, almost forcing you to do exactly 3 and a half hours of Irish per week (I know one or two schools where this happened). I don't think many teachers like teaching in such a way.

No worries. I got the wrong end of the stick a bit and overreacted. I appreciate that the balance between teaching the curriculum and teaching according to your own best skill and judgment is a hard one to find. ):)

You would be amazed at all the excuses that primary teachers have not to teach them nowadays ...ie that the little dears would be bored and that it is not challenging the little dears properly .

Tosh . Utter Tosh .

Primary school teaching seems better now than when I was small especially in maths and Irish. I do wonder at the 'point' of the infants stream.

Infants stream is about preparing them to learn ...and preparing the parents to help them too :D

My four year old gets homework every weeknight and requires help 2 days out of 4 . That is entirely proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I am never disappointed at locations such as UCD,Trinity or DCU when dealing with Cash Fare paying students.
    It`s not unusual to have a group of,say three,with one paying €1.15 and two paying €1.80,quite often one will attempt to do the group deal in a somewhat slow and laborious manner.....

"Eh... howmuchizdat then ?"

This will be accompanied by a pregnant pause whilst the enquirer waits for me to do the calculation on the machine...

It is at times like this I remember Mrs Punch and Mrs McCarthy,only two of my Primary Teachers in the Sacred Heart Boys National School,Glasnevin circa 1964....

Long before I could have inputted the data into the calculator function on the machine,and with far fewer physical strokes,my internal memory will have done the business and arrived at the answer......

Perhaps the most disappointing part is the look of surprise on the 3rd Levelers face as I give them their total...as if I had invoked some form of black magic or masonic ritual....

There is something very skewed about modern Ireland and it`s apparent at so many levels in areas far from the media obsessed Hi-Finance zone.....

It really is time to get back to basics in so many areas of our education and administration......ABC,123 etc etc ....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Tosh . Utter Tosh .

Well if my son's primary school doesn't do it I'll teach him them at home (and do the same with my future daughter).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

How does a discussion on whether the knowledge economy is a myth turn into one on whether Irish should be taught in primary schools? What does this say about those of us posting on the thread? Ah well.
    Originally Posted by Noreen1
    I would have thought that the ability to think creatively, which is an inherent part of the Irish language, would be of considerable assistance in R&D and engineering?

Noreen1, as mentioned by the other poster, this is a huge claim. I'm not sure whether its serious? You say that learning Irish will be of considerable assistance in engineering later; the context implies you'd think even more so than maths or other languages? Why do you think this? Do you really think Irish is more inherently creative than other languages (eg english) in the context of helping someone think of maths problems? I hope your not going to say that the relative sparsity of words in Irish means the speaker has to come up with more creative ways of expressing the concepts they have in english!

There's a few people that have said teaching Irish in primary school has economic benefits. To be honest, I find this extremely unconvincing. I like Irish, but:
    * I think arguments in favour of it should be in terms of cultural richness and expressiveness (like Noreen1's excellent 'Faoi scath na gcnoic' example)
    * I'm sceptical about the direct economic benefits, certainly as it currently stands, and would guess they are dwarfed by the costs.
    * The way its currently being taught is still absolutely failing and is a huge waste of resources
    Originally Posted by #15
    Look at page 79 of the PDF file. As a primary teacher I am required to teach to these specifications. Irish gets more time than maths, and way more time than science, history or geography.
    That was very interesting to see.
    Teaching a minimum of 3 hours of maths, vs 7 hours languages (as outlined in the document #15 linked to), seems like a bad idea to me.

Nice_guy80s post:
    you know that what the guidelines suggest, and what actually happens in the classroom are a lot different. if you follow the guidelines exactly then fair play, the worlds first teacher i've ever met who does

which basically says 'well, the guidelines don't matter as we clandestinely ignore them' doesn't exactly seem to nullify the point that the guidelines aren't good.

A few people have been commenting on 'times tables'. I respect the opinions put forward, but I have to say, I think the sort of teaching of times tables that goes on is daft; I dont think it should be taught on the primary curriculum.

First off, as pointed out by a few people - it isn't working. People are still finishing secondary school without basic numeracy.

Aside from that, I remember spending months drilling times tables in my class in primary school. (how long is it supposed to take on the curriculum?)
    Really, what a waste of time in young kids lives!

I'm really glad that I know them now, but I'm not glad I learned them then. I should have learned them when I was in secondary school some time, and old enough to actually appreciate their use, and need them to do back of the envelope calculations. I'd probably have learned them in about a week after school when I was motivated to do so.
    Originally Posted by nesf
    I'm really not sure if you can "teach" barebones logic to young children or even teenagers in general and have much success.

I do think though, that you can get extremely close, by clever use of proxies.
    Kids should be playing games of logic and planning, and learning how to solve problems and think logically about logical problems, in primary school. There's so many tools to enable kids to learn this. Draughts, Chess, Poker, strategy games, Go, all sorts of puzzles, construction games, lego, towers of hanoi, cluedo (gets pretty close to the 'barebones logic' mentioned), RTS video games, logo, just to start with. If you can learn proficiency in each of those, you've learned a lot, and will start to appreciate the need for the numeracy.

Drilling for ages, or rote learning off of - seemingly - irrelevant and useless arbitrary facts is just a waste of time. (hell, if they could even realise this for second level, itd be a start).
    Drilling times tables, rules of long division etc. makes about as much sense as the drilling and rote learning of Irish irregular verbs, which are promptly forgotten. A huge waste of effort.

People will just come to hate whatever they are drilling in, and will forget everything a year or two (if not a week or two!), afterwards.
    Instead basic numeracy should be introduced and encouraged in ways that show how its useful, and make people want to learn it. And by this I mean a much better approach than 'Sean has 7 sweets, and gives Jack 2, how many...'

Same is true for Irish. Perhaps if the state spent effort trying to systematically stamp it out instead, that might at least make people want to learn it? They wouldn't all hate it by the time the finish primary school anyway.

fergalr wrote: »
    I do think though, that you can get extremely close, by clever use of proxies.
    Kids should be playing games of logic and planning, and learning how to solve problems and think logically about logical problems, in primary school. There's so many tools to enable kids to learn this. Draughts, Chess, Poker, strategy games, Go, all sorts of puzzles, construction games, lego, towers of hanoi, cluedo (gets pretty close to the 'barebones logic' mentioned), RTS video games, logo, just to start with. If you can learn proficiency in each of those, you've learned a lot, and will start to appreciate the need for the numeracy.

By barebones logic I meant formal logic, truth tables and so on. Construction games, lego etc don't have anything to do this or logic in general. I think they're fantastic for kids but don't really strain your logic skills. For games, yes I think dice based games are excellent, teaching someone to win by calculating percentages is a good mental workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

By barebones logic I meant formal logic, truth tables and so on. Construction games, lego etc don't have anything to do this or logic in general. I think they're fantastic for kids but don't really strain your logic skills. For games, yes I think dice based games are excellent, teaching someone to win by calculating percentages is a good mental workout.

Actually Lego mindstorms teaches programming with different sensors to solve problems and you get to play with lego.

Its like win/win :D

thebman wrote: »
    Actually Lego mindstorms teaches programming with different sensors to solve problems and you get to play with lego.

Its like win/win :D

Yeah, Lego Mindstorms, just another toy I wished was available when I was that age. All I had was programming on a ZX Spectrum/Apple II to keep my mind occupied in primary school. :p

At least I'll get to buy them for my son in a few years. ;)

cluedo (gets pretty close to the 'barebones logic' mentioned),

I'm not sure I think its a good idea to directly try and teach kids advanced formal logic in primary school. I think at that age they should be learning to use and apply general concepts of deductive reasoning, and if they can do this fairly well, then they've made great progress.

Games like Cluedo (aka Clue) are a great introduction to the subject of reasoning logically, and you can go almost as far down the road of teaching people logic with it as you'd want.

For example, check this out: http://cs.gettysburg.edu/~tneller/papers/flairs06.pdf

"In this section we describe the game of Clue and explain why
    it is well-suited to the teaching and application of propositional logic."
    Construction games, lego etc don't have anything to do this or logic in general. I think they're fantastic for kids but don't really strain your logic skills.
    I'm not sure its all at as straightforward as that.

Without trying to get into some pretty serious debates here, are you familiar with programs like SHRDLU, and the 'Blocks World' domain it uses?

I remember playing with lego as a kid, and I distinctly remember having to do things like trying to look ahead to how I could rebuild a certain thing I was working on to try save a piece, or make a cleaner solution, and having to do things like model where the bricks would go in my head, and do things like see the bricks I would change, and even 'backtrack' to some extent when I reached a bad solution etc.
    There's a lot of deduction and planning and reasoning that goes on there, and while I wouldn't quite claim that we do it using formal logic inside our heads, I would say that way we think is similar to how we later reason about algorithms and logic.

Possibly, deep down, we are using a process a bit like SHRDLU (probably with more intuitive pruning of some sort) - I certainly think this is more true at the start, and then we get good at building more intuitive shortcuts later. But I acknowledge this is very much just opinion :-)

I mentioned 'towers of hanoi' - I played with that a bit as a kid - teaches recursive thinking. I've also used it as a tool to teach something about how recursive thinking works, if a teacher could do this, it'd be an excellent lesson.

You mention truth tables - thinking along the lines of 'if I capture that pawn, and the other player doesn't move his king, then I can checkmate him, or if I move my bishop here, and he doesn't move his queen, then I can pin his queen to his king' isn't exactly doing truth tables, but its laying some of the ground work for them later.

Again, I think the way to go is to have people play games that are heavily supportive of learning these concepts, and then introduce the concepts as useful tools that can add to the understanding of the games.
    Learning through games, its the future! :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah, Lego Mindstorms, just another toy I wished was available when I was that age. All I had was programming on a ZX Spectrum/Apple II to keep my mind occupied in primary school. :p

At least I'll get to buy them for my son in a few years. ;)

I've been playing building lego robots using Arduinos a bit recently. Do that too, its a lot of fun! I'd say it'd be a great teaching tool for people towards the end of secondary school. That's where my comments on lego are coming from btw, I've been thinking a bit recently about how much cool stuff I learned when playing with it as a child - its funny how you can fall into the same forgotten modes of thinking doing an old task like that - I was surprised at the complexity of some of the stuff I remembered how to do.

Teach them Backgammon at an early age , permutations and strategy all in one :p

I'm not sure I think its a good idea to directly try and teach kids advanced formal logic in primary school. I think at that age they should be learning to use and apply general concepts of deductive reasoning, and if they can do this fairly well, then they've made great progress.

Games like Cluedo (aka Clue) are a great introduction to the subject of reasoning logically, and you can go almost as far down the road of teaching people logic with it as you'd want.

For example, check this out: http://cs.gettysburg.edu/~tneller/papers/flairs06.pdf

"In this section we describe the game of Clue and explain why
    it is well-suited to the teaching and application of propositional logic."

I'm not sure its all at as straightforward as that.

Without trying to get into some pretty serious debates here, are you familiar with programs like SHRDLU, and the 'Blocks World' domain it uses?

I remember playing with lego as a kid, and I distinctly remember having to do things like trying to look ahead to how I could rebuild a certain thing I was working on to try save a piece, or make a cleaner solution, and having to do things like model where the bricks would go in my head, and do things like see the bricks I would change, and even 'backtrack' to some extent when I reached a bad solution etc.
    There's a lot of deduction and planning and reasoning that goes on there, and while I wouldn't quite claim that we do it using formal logic inside our heads, I would say that way we think is similar to how we later reason about algorithms and logic.

Possibly, deep down, we are using a process a bit like SHRDLU (probably with more intuitive pruning of some sort) - I certainly think this is more true at the start, and then we get good at building more intuitive shortcuts later. But I acknowledge this is very much just opinion :-)

I mentioned 'towers of hanoi' - I played with that a bit as a kid - teaches recursive thinking. I've also used it as a tool to teach something about how recursive thinking works, if a teacher could do this, it'd be an excellent lesson.

You mention truth tables - thinking along the lines of 'if I capture that pawn, and the other player doesn't move his king, then I can checkmate him, or if I move my bishop here, and he doesn't move his queen, then I can pin his queen to his king' isn't exactly doing truth tables, but its laying some of the ground work for them later.

Again, I think the way to go is to have people play games that are heavily supportive of learning these concepts, and then introduce the concepts as useful tools that can add to the understanding of the games.
    Learning through games, its the future! :-)

Well honestly I think we're talking about slightly different things here. Pure logic is a very specific thing, it's very limited because of this! Broader analytic skills aren't covered completely by logic, only a minority is. I think I'm using a narrower definition of logic than you are but that doesn't mean either of us is wrong. :)

I did get introduced to formal logic in primary school at the age of 7 when teaching myself to program dealing with if/for/not loops and so on (and honestly earlier in logic puzzle books kinda). But then that wouldn't be typical of the age group. If you can comprehend this kind of stuff easily, it's a boon, but if you don't have that kind of mind I'm not sure it'd be of benefit to you. A bit like how a primary school kid of sufficient intelligence can learn Calculus at a LC level fairly comfortably, but it doesn't mean all primary school kids should be introduced to Calculus that early.

Well honestly I think we're talking about slightly different things here. Pure logic is a very specific thing, it's very limited because of this! Broader analytic skills aren't covered completely by logic, only a minority is. I think I'm using a narrower definition of logic than you are but that doesn't mean either of us is wrong. :)

I'm not sure I like the use of 'pure' there - at one level, I'm not sure there is a logic more pure than "if I move there, he'll take me, and I don't want him to take me, so I'm not going to move there".

Unless I'm mistaken, I think I understand what you talking about as 'formal logic'.

I would say that formal logic is very well related to good reasoning skills. I think this a large part of why formal logic is useful. If it wasn't closely related to general 'logic' or rational reasoning skills, I don't think there'd be much point in teaching it to people, particularly not as part of a general curriculum.

Because I think the two are closely related, I see the good general logic skills as being useful, both in themselves, and as a stepping stone to a later understanding of more formal logic, which should also, in turn, enhance and expand the general reasoning skills.

Even if you restrict what you are talking about to just very formal logic, I think that games such as chess, and especially cluedo, can serve as very good introductions to this. Unless you are talking about something more formal than the propositional logic described in the cluedo document I mentioned?

I did get introduced to formal logic in primary school at the age of 7 when teaching myself to program dealing with if/for/not loops and so on (and honestly earlier in logic puzzle books kinda). But then that wouldn't be typical of the age group. If you can comprehend this kind of stuff easily, it's a boon, but if you don't have that kind of mind I'm not sure it'd be of benefit to you. A bit like how a primary school kid of sufficient intelligence can learn Calculus at a LC level fairly comfortably, but it doesn't mean all primary school kids should be introduced to Calculus that early.

What is a 'not' loop? :-)

I don't really think that for basic things like this, some sort of 'innate' intelligence is much of a factor. Really, what kids understand when it comes to this sort of thing depends on what they are previously exposed to, and if its presented to them in a way that they like.

Anyway, I wouldn't propose teaching kids formal logic on its own - very dry stuff. But I would propose teaching them general logic and reasoning skills through games, and eventually moving into elementary formal logic from that, where they are interested in learning about it, because the see it as useful to progress their understanding of the games they play.

I'm not sure I like the use of 'pure' there - at one level, I'm not sure there is a logic more pure than "if I move there, he'll take me, and I don't want him to take me, so I'm not going to move there".

Unless I'm mistaken, I think I understand what you talking about as 'formal logic'.

I would say that formal logic is very well related to good reasoning skills. I think this a large part of why formal logic is useful. If it wasn't closely related to general 'logic' or rational reasoning skills, I don't think there'd be much point in teaching it to people, particularly not as part of a general curriculum.

Because I think the two are closely related, I see the good general logic skills as being useful, both in themselves, and as a stepping stone to a later understanding of more formal logic, which should also, in turn, enhance and expand the general reasoning skills.

Even if you restrict what you are talking about to just very formal logic, I think that games such as chess, and especially cluedo, can serve as very good introductions to this. Unless you are talking about something more formal than the propositional logic described in the cluedo document I mentioned?

Honestly, from some of the formal logic I've seen in Philosophy, I'd argue that some of it isn't very closely related to more general reasoning skills! Predicate logic is, well, messy. :)

I agree with you, I think it's just my choice of language that's causing problems. I suppose the way I'm coming at this is, that something quite dry and staid like formal logic is useful for developing reasoning but it's unsuited to general education in a classroom (seriously, even at college level formal logic doesn't necessarily sit well except with self-selected students and even then if you go beyond basic predicate logic you can have trouble). Games are great for reasoning, chess etc all played a vital role for me anyway and I will introduce my son to them as he gets older for exactly the same purpose (Go is one I highly recommend, it's all about pattern recognition similar to chess but contains the same need to mentally have a picture of the board several moves ahead to do well in). I don't however see much of a point in introducing such games into the classroom which is what we're really talking about.
    What is a 'not' loop? :-)

A nor loop for the overly fast typer. ;)
    I don't really think that for basic things like this, some sort of 'innate' intelligence is much of a factor. Really, what kids understand when it comes to this sort of thing depends on what they are previously exposed to, and if its presented to them in a way that they like.

Honestly, single loops fine, multiple nested loops give people more trouble though. I don't really want to get into a gifted vs normal intelligence debate since it'd be unhelpful I think but it's building from the basics that is important and intelligence does have an effect here. Forming your own algorithms to find something or test for something isn't trivial once you get beyond simple examples. The thing is, arguing a complex point often follows such nested logical patterns and the ability to deal with complex abstract concepts often necessitates a grounding in such. I don't see an easy or obvious way to teach how to do this on your own though, examples sure but then you're depending on the kids to "fill in the dots" and your mileage will vary with that from kid to kid I imagine.
    Anyway, I wouldn't propose teaching kids formal logic on its own - very dry stuff. But I would propose teaching them general logic and reasoning skills through games, and eventually moving into elementary formal logic from that, where they are interested in learning about it, because the see it as useful to progress their understanding of the games they play.

Perhaps. I'm not convinced a one size fits all approach works with this stuff though. In the average classroom you'll have vastly varying degrees of aptitude for this stuff. At least you will if my experiences in school were anyway typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was reading about a study, the name escapes me but basically from the way kids learn the most effort should be at the early years. The comment was made that the Irish system does a good job at inverting this pyramid.
    As a parent I can concur. And without wanting to hothouse kids the vanilla educational syllabus on offer here at both at primary and secondary, appears to be a product of a civil service mindset.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Shouldn't kids be taught based on their natural abilities instead of a curriculum?

Why force a child good at maths to learn art or force a child good at art to learn maths.

pointless.

they should be made focus on what they're good at.

I'd agree but this is a natural product of a socialized system, lack of choice and lack of innovation. One would need to scrap the state system to allow real choice back in. But hey we need to average everyone down as it wouldnt be "fair":pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Games are great for reasoning, chess etc all played a vital role for me anyway and I will introduce my son to them as he gets older for exactly the same purpose (Go is one I highly recommend, it's all about pattern recognition similar to chess but contains the same need to mentally have a picture of the board several moves ahead to do well in).
    Yeah, I mentioned 'Go' in my initial list there, I don't play it much but I found it a really interesting learning experience to learn it.
    I don't however see much of a point in introducing such games into the classroom which is what we're really talking about.
    Fair enough - personally, I definitely would.
    People don't necessarily play games like that outside school, and, it looks like we both think they were a vital part of our learning. I do think in primary school they'd be more beneficial than reciting times tables, or rote learning verbs etc.

A nor loop for the overly fast typer. ;)
    Hmm - now I'm really confused! I know of for loops, and operators like NOT, and conditional statements like If - is Nor here a n-ary operator, or is a nor loop something from more formal logic that I haven't heard of?

Honestly, single loops fine, multiple nested loops give people more trouble though. I don't really want to get into a gifted vs normal intelligence debate since it'd be unhelpful I think but it's building from the basics that is important and intelligence does have an effect here. Forming your own algorithms to find something or test for something isn't trivial once you get beyond simple examples.
    The thing is, arguing a complex point often follows such nested logical patterns and the ability to deal with complex abstract concepts often necessitates a grounding in such.
    Yeah - I very much agree with you here - its one of the key things I'm trying to build my argument on; I see a distinct similarity between being able to argue a complex point and being able to deal with such abstract concepts as you mention. (From what I know this isn't obvious - its very much up for debate about whether how we reason internally would be related). I guess I'm just going another step and saying that the reasoning in games with lots of branching, depth, and conditionals, is also related, and that as such, worth learning - in school.
    I don't see an easy or obvious way to teach how to do this on your own though, examples sure but then you're depending on the kids to "fill in the dots" and your mileage will vary with that from kid to kid I imagine.
    Well - maybe I'm wrong, but I think that at a young age, games help.

Perhaps. I'm not convinced a one size fits all approach works with this stuff though. In the average classroom you'll have vastly varying degrees of aptitude for this stuff. At least you will if my experiences in school were anyway typical.
    No, a one size fits all attitude isn't the best - but, we get to a question of resources pretty quickly if we try customise teaching at a young age.
    Given that we already have a one-size-fits-all curriculum, I think we could make it better. I'd hate to see the fact that its one-size-fits-all be used as an argument for lowest common denominator teaching... that's the real problem.
    I guess I also have a lot of faith in the abilities of individual kids to learn stuff if its presented well - just where I fall on the nature/nurture issue. I think theres a huge amount of BS about natural ability that's wheeled out as an excuse for poor teaching, uneven resources, and underlying social inequality.

One-size-fits-all garments should be stretchy, or adjustable - not just XXX-large!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Noreen1, as mentioned by the other poster, this is a huge claim. I'm not sure whether its serious? You say that learning Irish will be of considerable assistance in engineering later; the context implies you'd think even more so than maths or other languages? Why do you think this? Do you really think Irish is more inherently creative than other languages (eg english) in the context of helping someone think of maths problems? I hope your not going to say that the relative sparsity of words in Irish means the speaker has to come up with more creative ways of expressing the concepts they have in english!

What I actually meant to say seems to have been misunderstood.

I do not believe that Irish can be taught to anything remotely resembling the fluency of the true Gaelgoir in the classroom.
    Therefore, for those who wish to learn it, I propose an alternate method of teaching - in the form of Gaelscoileanna and Summer schools.

This, in turn, frees up valuable classroom time for - you've guessed it - Maths, Science, and European languages.

Thus, our students quite literally gain every possible advantage.

I do think that learning Irish, properly - (not the pathetic attempts at it that are so frequently the end product of our education system) - is conducive to creative thinking and problem solving. Creative thinking is inherent in the language, but only when one is capable of thinking through Irish. I refer to the example of "Faoi scath na gcnoic" to illustrate this. The Irish language automatically teaches people to look at the entire picture, or problem, rather than limited aspects of it - thus together with a good standard of maths and science subjects, it is beneficial.

By the way - there is no sparcity of words in the Irish language. If anything, there are probably more words in the Irish language than there are in the English language - certainly there are several Irish words that have no English translation. The sparcity you describe is a product of the Education system, not the language.

Thus, in summary, we need more quality time devoted to Maths, Science, and European languages. (We also need a review of teaching methods, the Curriculum, Dept. of Education rules, and teaching standards. While we're at it, some investment in buildings and technology would be helpful, in many cases, but that's another thread!)

However, for those who wish to speak Irish, they should not be deprived of the opportunity to do so. Thus, I propose changing the system, but not by entirely annihilating the language, or the culture inherent in it.
    Incidently, I always problem solve through Irish, as do all of the "Gaelgoiri" I've ever discussed the issue with!

Noreen

• Advertisement

Hmm - now I'm really confused! I know of for loops, and operators like NOT, and conditional statements like If - is Nor here a n-ary operator, or is a nor loop something from more formal logic that I haven't heard of?

It's just a logical operator you can use in If or For statements. It's used in electronics as well as formal logic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_NOR

It's a very simple concept really. But you can build very complicated entities from such simple logical beginnings. :)
    I guess I also have a lot of faith in the abilities of individual kids to learn stuff if its presented well - just where I fall on the nature/nurture issue. I think theres a huge amount of BS about natural ability that's wheeled out as an excuse for poor teaching, uneven resources, and underlying social inequality.

Yeah, I think we disagree fundamentally on this one. I agree completely that it's abused as an excuse for poor teaching and uneven resources but I'd argue the opposite tabla rasa stance is abused equally with absurd notions that any kid can be exceptional academically which is blatantly false. The truth lies in between these two extremes. Nature and nurture are both true, your intelligence is mostly dictated by your parents' intelligence but this is only partially genetic the environment your parents provide is dictated by their intelligence and their opinion of education (which is dictated by their own experiences!). We could go around and around in circles for ever on this really.

I'll recommend a book actually that shaped my own thinking a lot: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780007240821/Nature-Via-Nurture

Advertisement