Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The knowledge economy myth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

We could go around and around in circles for ever on this really.

i believe that twin studies show that r = 0.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

asdasd wrote: »
    i believe that twin studies show that r = 0.7.

Twin studies are capturing some nurture and nature though. They'll be exposed to similar womb conditions which is theorised to affect much of brain development and character (specifically testosterone levels in the womb etc). For the non stats people, r = 0.7 can be roughly translated as 70% of the IQ of the twin can be explained by the IQ of the other twin (the real number can be over 80% depending on the study!). The r drops to something like 0.5 for fraternal twins (i.e. twins who only share environment with each other). The number for non-twin siblings is lower again because they don't share identical womb conditions before birth.

Shiny graph from one study:

Heritability-from-twin-correlations1.jpg

MZ = Identical Twins
    DZ = Fraternal Twins

To give an idea what we expect for heritable and weakly heritable traits (i.e. mostly nature or mostly nurture respectively):

Sibling-correlation-422.png

When these studies are done you find different traits fitting into patterns like the above. Some things show very little heritablity in either nature or nurture like the rightmost graph. Some things are strongly geneticly heritable but very weakly environmentally heritable (mostly nature, little nurture) like the middle graph and then some are strongly environmentally heritable but weakly genetically heritable (i.e. mostly nurture, little nature) like the graph on the left.

But yes, there is very strong evidence for IQ to be strongly heritable. On average kids tend towards having an IQ that is distributed around the average of their parents' IQs. Now this does not mean that you won't find exceptional kids who have IQs far in excess of parents! It just means that the average kid will tend towards being as smart as their parents which honestly is pretty blatantly obvious to even the casual observer. Now this is not just a Nature effect, it is also capturing many Nurture effects but really the whole Nature vs Nurture thing is a strawman here, kids tend for both genetic and environmental reasons to be around as intelligent as their parents are. Whether it's more nurture or nature doesn't really change this.

Edit:

Actually the biggest error that's made is to predict academic performance only on the genetic heritability of intelligence, far more factors are at play here and some of them are weakly inherited, some are mostly nurture and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

nesf wrote: »
    It's just a logical operator you can use in If or For statements. It's used in electronics as well as formal logic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_NOR

It's a very simple concept really. But you can build very complicated entities from such simple logical beginnings. :)
    Ah yeah, sure - I'm familiar with the nor operator.

I originally asked about 'not loops' which you had mentioned. You did clarify to 'nor loops' so I was wondering if you were actually talking about something I hadn't heard of, or just the usual operator.
    Wondering if perhaps you were just skimming through my posts, and perhaps just missed that detail.

Yeah, I think we disagree fundamentally on this one. I agree completely that it's abused as an excuse for poor teaching and uneven resources but I'd argue the opposite tabla rasa stance is abused equally with absurd notions that any kid can be exceptional academically which is blatantly false. The truth lies in between these two extremes. Nature and nurture are both true, your intelligence is mostly dictated by your parents' intelligence but this is only partially genetic the environment your parents provide is dictated by their intelligence and their opinion of education (which is dictated by their own experiences!). We could go around and around in circles for ever on this really.

I'll recommend a book actually that shaped my own thinking a lot: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780007240821/Nature-Via-Nurture

Yeah, sure, you could go around for a long time in a nature-nuture debate. Personally, I think nature is very overplayed. I think the idea that peoples natural abilities might mean one kid could be taught elementary logic (say, via game playing) and another could not, at primary school level, is crazy. I really think that everyone should be able to understand basic logic. Clearly many people don't, on a day to day basis (you just have to see the amount of politicians, news paper articles, pub discussions etc that rely on well worn and obvious fallacies). I think that blaming this on varying natural abilities is just an easy excuse for systemic teaching failure. But I'll quite happy concede that this is an opinion, formed on personal observations, and not backed up by scientific research.

I'll take a look at that book you recommended.

Twin studies are capturing some nurture and nature though. They'll be exposed to similar womb conditions which is theorised to affect much of brain development and character (specifically testosterone levels in the womb etc). For the non stats people, r = 0.7 can be roughly translated as 70% of the IQ of the twin can be explained by the IQ of the other twin (the real number can be over 80% depending on the study!). The r drops to something like 0.5 for fraternal twins (i.e. twins who only share environment with each other). The number for non-twin siblings is lower again because they don't share identical womb conditions before birth.

Shiny graph from one study:

MZ = Identical Twins
    DZ = Fraternal Twins

To give an idea what we expect for heritable and weakly heritable traits (i.e. mostly nature or mostly nurture respectively):

Sibling-correlation-422.png

When these studies are done you find different traits fitting into patterns like the above. Some things show very little heritablity in either nature or nurture like the rightmost graph. Some things are strongly geneticly heritable but very weakly environmentally heritable (mostly nature, little nurture) like the middle graph and then some are strongly environmentally heritable but weakly genetically heritable (i.e. mostly nurture, little nature) like the graph on the left.

But yes, there is very strong evidence for IQ to be strongly heritable. On average kids tend towards having an IQ that is distributed around the average of their parents' IQs. Now this does not mean that you won't find exceptional kids who have IQs far in excess of parents! It just means that the average kid will tend towards being as smart as their parents which honestly is pretty blatantly obvious to even the casual observer. Now this is not just a Nature effect, it is also capturing many Nurture effects but really the whole Nature vs Nurture thing is a strawman here, kids tend for both genetic and environmental reasons to be around as intelligent as their parents are. Whether it's more nurture or nature doesn't really change this.

Edit:

Actually the biggest error that's made is to predict academic performance only on the genetic heritability of intelligence, far more factors are at play here and some of them are weakly inherited, some are mostly nurture and so on.
    But yes, there is very strong evidence for IQ to be strongly heritable.
    Hmm. I haven't looked into twin studies in any detail, but I can see a lot of potential for confounding. Could you send me a link to one of them you find particularly convincing?
    Are these twin studies where the twins were adopted? (even thats vulnerable to other biases).
    On average kids tend towards having an IQ that is distributed around the average of their parents' IQs.
    I wouldn't think that is strong evidence for a nature based argument; could all come down to nurture even then. (obligatory: IQ is a flawed measure)
    It just means that the average kid will tend towards being as smart as their parents which honestly is pretty blatantly obvious to even the casual observer.
    I think this is explained because they tend to learn a way of thinking about things from their parents, and because of other social factors (resources available to parents etc).

I see a lot of kids who are smarter than their parents because of better education etc. For example, wouldn't the average IQ of people in Ireland now be higher than 300 years ago?

Now this is not just a Nature effect, it is also capturing many Nurture effects but really the whole Nature vs Nurture thing is a strawman here, kids tend for both genetic and environmental reasons to be around as intelligent as their parents are.
    A strawman? - maybe you mean a red herring! I doubt its done on purpose.

Anyway, I think its neither. Its relevant.
    If some people just naturally can't be expected to learn logical reasoning at primary school, because they lack the natural abilities, then there is little point in teaching it to them.

On the other hand, if they can be taught these things, because their existing lack of facility with them is due to a lack of nurture, then it makes a lot of sense to teach them.
    I believe the later, and think it should be a high priority, imo.

fergalr wrote: »
    Ah yeah, sure - I'm familiar with the nor operator.

I originally asked about 'not loops' which you had mentioned. You did clarify to 'nor loops' so I was wondering if you were actually talking about something I hadn't heard of, or just the usual operator.
    Wondering if perhaps you were just skimming through my posts, and perhaps just missed that detail.

Just crossed wires I think. I read a different question than the one I was actually asked. :)
    Yeah, sure, you could go around for a long time in a nature-nuture debate. Personally, I think nature is very overplayed. I think the idea that peoples natural abilities might mean one kid could be taught elementary logic (say, via game playing) and another could not, at primary school level, is crazy. I really think that everyone should be able to understand basic logic. Clearly many people don't, on a day to day basis (you just have to see the amount of politicians, news paper articles, pub discussions etc that rely on well worn and obvious fallacies). I think that blaming this on varying natural abilities is just an easy excuse for systemic teaching failure. But I'll quite happy concede that this is an opinion, formed on personal observations, and not backed up by scientific research.

I'll take a look at that book you recommended.

I think the biggest problem is that there's this idea that you've nature on one side and nurture on the other. This isn't the case. Genes can switch on and off in response to environmental triggers. You can have a gene for a certain trait but never develop it because you weren't exposed to the right triggers. The idea of having X gene meaning you develop Y trait is an oversimplification from a time when genes weren't very well understood (I'd argue they still aren't, but anyway), unfortunately this is not common knowledge.

The other biggest problem is that the nurture side in the "war" have conjoured up an image of fatalism surrounding nature. Which is problematic since, well except for a very small few things like Tay-Sachs, it's a lot more complicated than that.

• Advertisement

Hmm. I haven't looked into twin studies in any detail, but I can see a lot of potential for confounding. Could you send me a link to one of them you find particularly convincing?
    Are these twin studies where the twins were adopted? (even thats vulnerable to other biases).

Yes, generally when someone says twin studies with respect to genetics they're looking at twins who were adopted at birth by different families thus meaning genetic links but different environments. Honestly I don't have links to hand, I don't read this stuff online. I'll try and dig up a reference or two from the books I have but it'll take a while for me to find them!

I wouldn't think that is strong evidence for a nature based argument; could all come down to nurture even then. (obligatory: IQ is a flawed measure)

IQ is a flawed measure, I definitely agree, but it measures something so is useful given that it correlates well with loads of other stuff. In this case it'd be biological parents if I'm remembering correctly. Again, paper reference not online, I'll try and remember where I read it.
    I think this is explained because they tend to learn a way of thinking about things from their parents, and because of other social factors (resources available to parents etc).

I see a lot of kids who are smarter than their parents because of better education etc. For example, wouldn't the average IQ of people in Ireland now be higher than 300 years ago?

See, the problem is that you're immediately calling "learning a way of thinking from their parents" as a nature phenomenon when equally they could inherit tendencies to think in a certain way from their parents. It's almost certainly a strong mix of the two but the mistake is to assume it's one or the other!

IQ depends on how you measure it. Certain parts of the standard tests will be more sensitive to education levels than others (the spatial reasoning stuff the least sensitive I imagine). IQ testing isn't an area I'm hugely familiar with though, so I can't give any more than a half informed opinion I'm afraid.

A strawman? - maybe you mean a red herring! I doubt its done on purpose.

Actually, you could argue that sometimes it is. To accept a nature/nurture mix runs against much liberal political thinking of the past 50 years, the tabla rasa assertion is a very strong one and more of a faith in some parts of the press etc.

For a quiet vitriolic (but readable and interesting) look at this pick up this book: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780140276053/The-Blank-Slate
    Anyway, I think its neither. Its relevant.
    If some people just naturally can't be expected to learn logical reasoning at primary school, because they lack the natural abilities, then there is little point in teaching it to them.

On the other hand, if they can be taught these things, because their existing lack of facility with them is due to a lack of nurture, then it makes a lot of sense to teach them.
    I believe the later, and think it should be a high priority, imo.

And finally we come some way close to the topic (though I'm enjoying chatting about the other stuff, haven't got to do it in ages). Honestly, you believe the latter but you don't present any evidence for it. Now, that isn't an attack and it isn't saying you're wrong, you might indeed be correct but arguing any education changes based on opinion is a mistake (though one I freely admit that I often make myself!).

the spatial reasoning stuff the least sensitive I imagine

the spatial reasoning stuff is the reason why IQs are increasing - the Flynn effect. The thought is that it is effected by video games etc.

Yes, generally when someone says twin studies with respect to genetics they're looking at twins who were adopted at birth by different families thus meaning genetic links but different environments. Honestly I don't have links to hand, I don't read this stuff online. I'll try and dig up a reference or two from the books I have but it'll take a while for me to find them!
    Cool - I figured it would have to be adopted twins. Obviously, adoptive parents are both self selected, and then go through a selection process though, so you'd have to be careful to look at this - this is obvious, so I'm sure the study authors think of such things, but it'd be worth bearing in mind.

Don't go through any trouble to find references - I've so much reading on my plate already, its not funny - but if you come across something you found particularly convincing and relevant, I'd definitely like to take a look.
    IQ is a flawed measure, I definitely agree, but it measures something so is useful given that it correlates well with loads of other stuff. In this case it'd be biological parents if I'm remembering correctly. Again, paper reference not online, I'll try and remember where I read it.

See, the problem is that you're immediately calling "learning a way of thinking from their parents" as a nature phenomenon when equally they could inherit tendencies to think in a certain way from their parents. It's almost certainly a strong mix of the two but the mistake is to assume it's one or the other!
    Well - when I said 'learning a way of thinking' I meant that as a nurture phenomenon.
    I do firmly believe that ways of thinking about things are learned. Ok, problem solving skills can be learned - thats becoming more accepted it seems - but I also think the overall process of how we start to approach thinking about something, and how we even think about thinking can be learned and altered.
    I think that we pay very little attention to that - I definitely believe you can definitely adopt more efficient learning strategies, and sort of meta-attitudes that make you reason more efficiently, and gain more understanding from subsequent life experience, which then leads to larger differences in accrued understanding over time.
    And this is hardly sort of thing is ever taught to people. I think a lot of this is what we call smartness when we talk about someone, and really, I think a lot more of it is learned than we normally give credit for.

I don't believe its such a strong mix of both nature and nurture as you put it.
    I think for most of what people do, most of the time, the nurtured way they approach problems and situations totally dominates over their genetically gifted intelligence amounts. I think this holds right through to an IQ test.
    IQ depends on how you measure it. Certain parts of the standard tests will be more sensitive to education levels than others (the spatial reasoning stuff the least sensitive I imagine). IQ testing isn't an area I'm hugely familiar with though, so I can't give any more than a half informed opinion I'm afraid.

Actually, you could argue that sometimes it is. To accept a nature/nurture mix runs against much liberal political thinking of the past 50 years, the tabla rasa assertion is a very strong one and more of a faith in some parts of the press etc.

Well, I don't think it was introduced to be used as a strawman in this debate...
    ...but I do understand why the 'blank slate' assertion fits well with more liberal political thinking. If you believe the contrary, that some people are perhaps just genetically much smarter than others, and that this is why some people are more successful than others, then you can advance an argument that an unequal system is more efficient, or 'fairer', or that perhaps the disparities in wealth between people are deserved, etc. I find this arguments very weak though.
    For a quiet vitriolic (but readable and interesting) look at this pick up this book: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780140276053/The-Blank-Slate
    Cool, might have a look at this at some point.
    And finally we come some way close to the topic (though I'm enjoying chatting about the other stuff, haven't got to do it in ages). Honestly, you believe the latter but you don't present any evidence for it. Now, that isn't an attack and it isn't saying you're wrong, you might indeed be correct but arguing any education changes based on opinion is a mistake (though one I freely admit that I often make myself!).

Yep, I believe the latter; and I freely admit that most of my posting here is argument based on my own observations, and would not be scientifically convincing to other people. Mostly I think I advanced reasonable arguments for why teaching games to help logical reasoning, at a young age, is a good idea. I still think that they are sensible on their own - considering that obviously we believe enough in nurture that we still try teach kids something!

I admit that my nature/nurture viewpoint is presented largely without evidence.

I don't think that means its valueless though - it can be interesting to explore statements of point of view from different people, even without hard objective evidence backing up those points of view. I also think you can put forward logical arguments for opinions on the nature/nurture debate that don't have to be backed by statistical surveys and experiments.

One such more free standing argument might be that surely if intelligence did vary a lot due to genetics, the selection process of evolution would have ensured that the most intelligent dominated? Surely a lot of extra intelligence would have conferred big selection advantages? Therefore it seems hard to believe that there are wide variations in intelligence in the genetics of surviving humans.
    (Not a convincing argument, personally, but worth thinking about).

On a bit of a personal tangent, one thing that I think is interesting is that I, personally, have witnessed changes in how I think about problems - at a very general level - over time, that has led me to problem solve - and learn - more efficiently.
    What I have learned I could definitely have taught to myself at a younger age than I learned, probably resulting in more efficient learning in the intervening interval.
    I credit a lot of my 'intelligence' as being behavoiur like that that I've learned - thats certainly one of the main things that would differentiate me now on an arbitrary exam, against me when I was younger.

I think this learned toolbox of problem approaches, and reasoning strategies, is a very important part of what you'd end up measuring if you gave me an IQ test. (And I'm not arrogantly saying I'd do particularly well or anything - just saying I'd do better than I would have when I was younger; not because I'm older, but because I've learned more).

So, even though it might not be convincing (you may think I'd deluded, or lying, or otherwise wrong!) as an argument to 2nd parties, if someone makes the argument to me that most intelligence in humans is innate - a strong nature position - I feel I, from my own life experience, have access to a counter example. So; I think this is more than an opinion, in that sense. You might say that I only know how my own development went, and perhaps I'm different, or not representative. This is possibly true - but seems improbable to me.

At the same time, if I was to attempt to argue (say, to the department of education) that the whole education system should spend more time nurturing better reasoning and problem solving skills (I'd so have loved classes on that as a kid!) I would seek evidence that would be much more objective.

the spatial reasoning stuff is the reason why IQs are increasing - the Flynn effect. The thought is that it is effected by video games etc.

You see! Games! :-)

Genuinely, I defy anyone to play deathmatch descent II for a week, and not tell me their spatial skills improved afterwards...

Noreen1 wrote: »
    What I actually meant to say seems to have been misunderstood.

I do not believe that Irish can be taught to anything remotely resembling the fluency of the true Gaelgoir in the classroom.
    Off topic - is a gaelgoir someone who really likes the language or someone who is really good at it, or both? I'd have thought more the former?

I think Irish could be taught so much better than it currently is - I don't think anything like the level that could be achieved in the classroom is being so. Also, just look at all the hate for the language; its such a failure. Poor Irish, I think its a bit like Maths that way.

Actually, I found this quite interesting when I came across it a while back:
    http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
    Its interesting, and also attempts to outline some of whats wrong with how maths is taught in school and why people don't like it.

Any chance of a gaelgoirs lament? :-)
    Therefore, for those who wish to learn it, I propose an alternate method of teaching - in the form of Gaelscoileanna and Summer schools.
    Yeah, works much better. Also, means people wouldn't finish school hating being forced to do it.
    This, in turn, frees up valuable classroom time for - you've guessed it - Maths, Science, and European languages.

Thus, our students quite literally gain every possible advantage.

I do think that learning Irish, properly - (not the pathetic attempts at it that are so frequently the end product of our education system) - is conducive to creative thinking and problem solving. Creative thinking is inherent in the language, but only when one is capable of thinking through Irish. I refer to the example of "Faoi scath na gcnoic" to illustrate this. The Irish language automatically teaches people to look at the entire picture, or problem, rather than limited aspects of it - thus together with a good standard of maths and science subjects, it is beneficial.

By the way - there is no sparcity of words in the Irish language. If anything, there are probably more words in the Irish language than there are in the English language - certainly there are several Irish words that have no English translation. The sparcity you describe is a product of the Education system, not the language.
    Doubt there are more words in Irish than in English... doubt have figured, but english is a huge language, surely..?

Thus, in summary, we need more quality time devoted to Maths, Science, and European languages. (We also need a review of teaching methods, the Curriculum, Dept. of Education rules, and teaching standards. While we're at it, some investment in buildings and technology would be helpful, in many cases, but that's another thread!)

However, for those who wish to speak Irish, they should not be deprived of the opportunity to do so. Thus, I propose changing the system, but not by entirely annihilating the language, or the culture inherent in it.
    Incidently, I always problem solve through Irish, as do all of the "Gaelgoiri" I've ever discussed the issue with!

Noreen
    That last is very interesting.
    When you say you problem solve in Irish, what do you mean? If someone put a maths or logic puzzle to you, would you try and reason it out in Irish in your head? What sort of things would you say to yourself? I'm not sure I reason about puzzles or spatial things in a language as such - although I would probably for some sort of problems. If I was to use Irish I'd lack complex/specialist vocabulary pretty quickly. Be curious to hear more on this...

• Advertisement

Well - when I said 'learning a way of thinking' I meant that as a nurture phenomenon.
    I do firmly believe that ways of thinking about things are learned. Ok, problem solving skills can be learned - thats becoming more accepted it seems - but I also think the overall process of how we start to approach thinking about something, and how we even think about thinking can be learned and altered.
    I think that we pay very little attention to that - I definitely believe you can definitely adopt more efficient learning strategies, and sort of meta-attitudes that make you reason more efficiently, and gain more understanding from subsequent life experience, which then leads to larger differences in accrued understanding over time.
    And this is hardly sort of thing is ever taught to people. I think a lot of this is what we call smartness when we talk about someone, and really, I think a lot more of it is learned than we normally give credit for.

I don't believe its such a strong mix of both nature and nurture as you put it.
    I think for most of what people do, most of the time, the nurtured way they approach problems and situations totally dominates over their genetically gifted intelligence amounts. I think this holds right through to an IQ test.

Right, I'm tired (no sleep) so I'll try to focus on a smaller part of your argument so I can give you a better answer. :)

The issue is that if IQ (since we can measure it and it does tend towards being fairly stable over time, learning generally won't affect your performance as an adult you'll tend to stay around the same mark or so I believe) was highly nuture based a simple test for this would be to look at the correlation between siblings and adoptive siblings and see if there was significant difference. There has been a fair amount of work done in this area, the general finding is that adoptive siblings are no more correlated in IQ than complete strangers are yet biological siblings are strongly correlated with each other. I hate linking to wikipedia but it has some study results that correspond well with what I've read elsewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ#Family_environment

This has been repeated in multiple samples so it's a pretty damn strong conclusion. Now the biggest issue with this is the studies tend to deal with middle income, well nourished kids. It gets more complicated if you start looking at low income groups where negative environmental factors start depressing IQ. But this is a side issue and more of interest in terms of the effects of poor nutrition/whatever has on general intelligence (which IQ can be viewed as a proxy for). This is what I was getting at with the mix of nurture and nature going on. It's almost never a simple x=y relationship with this stuff.

Intelligence is strongly heritable. Learning strategies etc help with exam performance and recollection and other such, they don't make you more intelligent. They might make you use your time better etc but this isn't an intelligence issue! Exam performance isn't intelligence.

Overall, I think you're making well fashioned arguments and am enjoying discussing this with you btw. :)

Yup, education at school wouldn't really effect it strongly though.
    Genuinely, I defy anyone to play deathmatch descent II for a week, and not tell me their spatial skills improved afterwards...

Indeed! There should definitely be an hour a week in primary school of FPS. ;)

So, even though it might not be convincing (you may think I'd deluded, or lying, or otherwise wrong!) as an argument to 2nd parties, if someone makes the argument to me that most intelligence in humans is innate - a strong nature position - I feel I, from my own life experience, have access to a counter example. So; I think this is more than an opinion, in that sense. You might say that I only know how my own development went, and perhaps I'm different, or not representative. This is possibly true - but seems improbable to me.

I've a quite simple argument for you and a neat economic example to follow it that I'll think you'll enjoy.

We all accept height is strongly heritable. People tend to be around the same height as their parents, assuming both are well nourished etc. We also all accept that poor nourishment and other negative environmental conditions can effect things like height. So despite height being strongly heritable environmental factors can play a strong determining role if they are negative. Our genes map out a potential height, our environment decides whether we can grow to achieve it. Pretty uncontroversial stuff yes?

Now, our minds are our brains (if you disagree on this one, you and I must have a chat about mental illness!). Our brains are as much a physical thing as our height is. Now there are a lot more environmental factors going on with our brains than our height but intelligence can be viewed in a simple manner as being analogous to height. Intelligence is about aptitude not achievement. When we say someone is smarter than another person we mean they've got a better aptitude for mental stuff, not that they simply know more than the other person. What we inherit is merely a potential aptitude. Our environments determine how much of this potential we achieve similar to height, just far far more complicated. Nature and nurture can coexist very happily with something like intelligence, and intelligence can be something strongly heritable while still requiring much environmental factors to properly blossom.

Now, I promised you a neat economic example and it is this:

First let's set the ground rules. If some group enjoys an innate advantage over another group then the State should tax the better off group to compensate those who through no fault of their own are worse off. This is the basis for the concept of utilitarian taxes (it's more complicated but this is enough to do us). The basic idea is redistributive justice now you may personally strongly disagree with this as the core rule in taxation policy like I do but let's accept it as our core rule for now. We implement this in a very rough sketchy way in our own economy with our concept of a higher and lower tax band.

We should introduce a height tax. At first this seems absurd but sure enough if you look at the data from across multiple developed countries, income correlates very strongly with height. To the tune of 5,250 Dollars (in 2003) in yearly income more for someone 6 foot versus someone 5' 5" tall after you control for gender, weight and age. Now there are loads of suggested reasons for this like higher confidence for taller people etc but basically if you're taller you'll tend to earn more and it's something you have absolutely no control over. No amount of work will make you taller, no amount of study will either. So given that it's impossible for the vertically challenged to correct this deficit it is only correct that we adjust tax to account for this distribution in income if one follows the rule of redistibutive justice.

So, should we abandon redistributive justice or tax height? Fantastic question I think. :D

The full paper behind this can be found here: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mankiw/files/Optimal_Taxation_of_Height.pdf (if you're not into maths, skip the model section)

People tend to be around the same height as their parents, assuming both are well nourished etc.

They tend to be in the same percentile of the population, so even if the population grows we end up the same if normalized. my dad is 2 inches shorter than me, but we are both in the same relative position, probably ( and he may also have shrunk).

That said, as you no doubt know. there is a regression to the mean for outliers and their offspring..

IQ is normalized to account for the Flynn effect. Both my parents have an IQ of about 135 ( I have tested them online). I can get 140 but I have some prior use of the same software which is some help. If that gives me 5-10 extra points then I am 130-140. I think that is a regression to mean, if the Flynn effect is true. In short my better nurture ( playing video games?) did not lead to a huge gap, or to put it another way if we didnt normalise their score for now, but normalised it for 30 years ago they would be 150+

So I am stupider, in relative terms, than my folks. Which is what you would expect at higher percentiles.

They tend to be in the same percentile of the population, so even if the population grows we end up the same if normalized. my dad is 2 inches shorter than me, but we are both in the same relative position, probably ( and he may also have shrunk).

Sure, the thing is that this height dispartity in income is based on height difference, not absolute height.
    IQ is normalized to account for the Flynn effect. Both my parents have an IQ of about 135 ( I have tested them online). I can get 140 but I have some prior use of the same software which is some help. If that gives me 5-10 extra points then I am 130-140. I think that is a regression to mean, if the Flynn effect is true. In short my better nurture ( playing video games?) did not lead to a huge gap, or to put it another way if we didnt normalise their score for now, but normalised it for 30 years ago they would be 150+

So I am stupider, in relative terms, than my folks. Which is what you would expect at higher percentiles.

Online tests are generally bogus to be honest. You'd have to do a standardised one to have anything realistic number wise. And honestly, in a single sample like your's it's meaningless. You could be two or even three standard deviations out and it could still be normal.

Yeah, but my testing over the years gets the same ~140 . I hve gotten 150+ online but I know that is bogus. In their case , not being used to computers etc, it might well be that the result was an underestimate.

Trust me, I dont want to feel that I am a regression to the mean :-)

Right, I'm tired (no sleep) so I'll try to focus on a smaller part of your argument so I can give you a better answer. :)

The issue is that if IQ (since we can measure it and it does tend towards being fairly stable over time, learning generally won't affect your performance as an adult you'll tend to stay around the same mark or so I believe) was highly nuture based a simple test for this would be to look at the correlation between siblings and adoptive siblings and see if there was significant difference. There has been a fair amount of work done in this area, the general finding is that adoptive siblings are no more correlated in IQ than complete strangers are yet biological siblings are strongly correlated with each other. I hate linking to wikipedia but it has some study results that correspond well with what I've read elsewhere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ#Family_environment

That'd certainly be persuasive evidence, if it was thoroughly, properly and repeatedly done.

I'd imagine there's a lot of things to check for - ideally, to be really persuasive, the adoptees would be assigned close to randomly (eg: in case any adoption agency were doing something like putting kids they felt had a already had a particularly hard time with really 'good' parents. Also, you'd need to watch out for things like parents only adopting another kid if their first kid was getting on well in school, or being more willing to adopt a kid with a tough past if their own kids were doing well etc, thus artificially affecting the correlations, or maybe something like keeping adopting kids until they ran into difficulties etc).
    You'd only look at kids that were adopted at a young age, into families that only had other natural kids, or kids adopted at a really young age, to minimise this. The latter should be sufficient.

I can think of a huge amount of confounding factors though, even as I type. (What if parents spent more resources on their adopted child because they believed intelligence was genetic and had to be made up for, thus neglecting their own offspring? Or parents that adopt typically do so because they are older and having fertility issues, but also have more income to spend on the adopted child than on its siblings?)

Could get tough to do an analysis right - not saying the researchers wouldn't have thought of these things, but it can be surprising what slips through sometimes.

I'm obviously unfamiliar with the literature; it might be worth having a read of some of the reviews linked from wikipedia when I get back to somewhere with journal access.

If it was that clearcut though, why is the nature nurture debate still raging on? People just don't want to believe the role nature has in predicting intelligence? Or maybe people are biasing their results somehow. It might be one of those areas where its so controversial you have to read the studies and make up your own mind.

This has been repeated in multiple samples so it's a pretty damn strong conclusion. Now the biggest issue with this is the studies tend to deal with middle income, well nourished kids. It gets more complicated if you start looking at low income groups where negative environmental factors start depressing IQ. But this is a side issue and more of interest in terms of the effects of poor nutrition/whatever has on general intelligence (which IQ can be viewed as a proxy for). This is what I was getting at with the mix of nurture and nature going on. It's almost never a simple x=y relationship with this stuff.
    Sure, I understand what you are saying about the depressive effects, and the lack of a simple relationship.
    Intelligence is strongly heritable. Learning strategies etc help with exam performance and recollection and other such, they don't make you more intelligent. They might make you use your time better etc but this isn't an intelligence issue! Exam performance isn't intelligence.

No, exam performance is certainly not intelligence.
    (Although if we start to talk about IQ (measured by exam) and use it as a proxy for intelligence, as we have been doing, the learnable side of exam performance becomes relevant.)

We're getting to the stage where we have to define intelligence.

I just looked at wikipedia there. It says the standard IQ test is the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale which defines intelligence as ""The global capacity of a person to act purposefully, to think rationally, and to deal effectively with his/her environment.""
    This seems a little broad to me, actually. I think the word 'global' in there is very important though. I don't think rote learning of a task is very intelligent (eg a computer which repeatedly solves the same complex problem is often very stupid).
    I'd almost like to capture the idea of variations on the environment, rather than the existing environment too. I think the definition of 'intelligence' has to factor in ability to adapt to previously unseen, and unforeseen, situations.

Either way, lets work off that definition, or something pretty close to it in spirit.

I'm pretty happy to say that you can learn to get better at 'acting purposefully', 'thinking rationally' and 'dealing effectively' with your environment.

Its definitely something that can be improved by learning. I know this from myself, I'm still improving at dealing with these things, and getting better than I was a few years ago. Sure, the returns are much smaller than when I was younger. But there's still returns to be had, and I work hard to improve at these things all the time.

I think maybe a lot of people just stop trying to learn this sort of thing when they get to a certain level, and that might be why you see diminishing changes on an IQ test after adulthood in real populations.

Again, simply look at the spatial dimension of things. I've seen people who are spatially very weak in some ways, that take up orienteering, in adulthood, and later improve a lot spatially - not just at reading maps, but generally. I don't have studies to back this up, but I consider it almost self evident.

Like, I know I could improve my general arithmetic abilities (one of those measured by the tests) if I drilled doing arithmetic for a while. (bit like the whole Nintendo Brain Age stuff - if you practice, you get a lot better, and would score higher on an arithmetic component of an IQ test)

If you study logic, you get better at what you studied, but your overall ability to analyze situations and arguments also improves.

Surely that means you've gotten more intelligent when you do that? Is there a different definition of intelligence that should be used?

We need an experiment.
    Get X random people, give them an IQ test. Split them into two classes randomly. Train both classes over a month for a subsequent IQ test.
    One class receives 'placebo' training which is not expected to help them.
    The other class receives training expected to help.
    Both classes are forbidden from taking other training or discussing tests outside class (ideally they stay in controlled environments, but probably not practical).
    Retest both classes, check for differences.

I wonder has anyone done this?
    Overall, I think you're making well fashioned arguments and am enjoying discussing this with you btw. :)

Thanks!
    Hopefully the discussion is making us smarter :P

Or parents that adopt typically do so because they are older and having fertility issues, but also have more income to spend on the adopted child than on its siblings?

What you are not getting is that adopted twin got the same results in IQ ( or personality tests) as their biological twin adopted elsewhere regardless of who adopted them, but not (necessarily) the same as the biological children of the couple who adopted them ( at r = 0.7).

That is their IQ was on average better than their step siblings when adopted into less cerebral environments, and worse if adopted into families with smarter step-sibilings. The twins correlate as much on personality, and intelligence as if raised together. Not surprising, as DZ twins are clones.

This is not a reason to give up on aspiration and education for the poorer clases because

1) There are people who have intelligence but who have not been discovered.
    2) Regression to mean, which I mentioned elsewhere.

Even if society were toally meritocratic, then the bottom 10% should see their kids move up the ladder over time, and the top 10% should move down, because while intelligence is inheritable it is less inheritable at extremes.

I can think of a huge amount of confounding factors though, even as I type. (What if parents spent more resources on their adopted child because they believed intelligence was genetic and had to be made up for, thus neglecting their own offspring? Or parents that adopt typically do so because they are older and having fertility issues, but also have more income to spend on the adopted child than on its siblings?)

You misunderstand what the findings were. Kid A is adopted. Kids B and C are biological siblings in A's family. Kid D is A's identical twin.

There will be almost no correlation between A's intelligence and B's and C's. That means that if A is higher or lower than average this doesn't influence whether B and C are higher or lower than average. It says nothing about whether adoptive siblings are more or less smarter than biological siblings. What it means is that A's IQ is as likely to be similar to B's or C's as it would be to any random stranger plucked off the street!

D on the other hand will very likely have higher than average intelligence if A is higher and vice versa, to the point of their IQs as being very similar regardless of who adopts D. B and C on the other hand will also have correlated IQs but not as strongly correlated as A and D since B and C only share some of their genes. That's why this is so striking! There is clear and present correlation between A and D, and B and C, but none between A and B or A and C on average.

We're looking at the averages from samples of 4,000-5,000 pairs. The noise from individual family differences cancels itself out at this sample size to be honest. You line up 4,000 pairs of twins and siblings etc and check if their IQs match up well. This has also been done for randomly selected people and the correlation in that instance approaches 0 the more people you look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Davao8000

I think there is something slightly racist in the whole idea (myth?) of the knowledge economy.

It seems to be pitched along the lines of - we can't compete with other countries in terms of manufacturing but we can in terms knowledge-based industries. Are these other countries less intelligent than us? No, but the way the knowledge economy is pitched the answer seems to be yes. If they are not less intelligent then are we saying we have people here who are better educated? I think this is slightly racist again - China and India produce people who take up many of the research student places in this country (and they do so on merit) even when it is less costly to hire EU citizens.

• Advertisement

I think this is slightly racist again - China and India produce people who take up many of the research student places in this country (and they do so on merit) even when it is less costly to hire EU citizens.

In general you are right. I dont even agree that the manufacturing industry is "low-skilled" - maybe the work on the line but nothing else - the line manager, the people making the quotas, the guys fixing the line, the technicians, the managers working on supply from factories - just in time etc.

As for the rest of the knowledge economy, yep we are not any more intelligent. I think there are barriers to entry for people competing with Silicon Valley - an established entrepeurial culture, a VC culture, world class schools etc. The smartest go there,

Ireland? Can we compete with China? If I were to be a heretic and discuss race and IQ I would suggest that the Chinese are on average smarter. But of course, I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Davao8000

Ireland? Can we compete with China? If I were to be a heretic and discuss race and IQ I would suggest that the Chinese are on average smarter. But of course, I won't.

can of worms = race & IQ!

I don't think we are less intelligent than other nations. But I do think that sometimes we don't have as good a work ethic (which is another can of worms!). So even where we do have knowledge-based industries we will take in people from outside of Ireland by necessity.

I've a quite simple argument for you and a neat economic example to follow it that I'll think you'll enjoy.

We all accept height is strongly heritable. People tend to be around the same height as their parents, assuming both are well nourished etc. We also all accept that poor nourishment and other negative environmental conditions can effect things like height. So despite height being strongly heritable environmental factors can play a strong determining role if they are negative. Our genes map out a potential height, our environment decides whether we can grow to achieve it. Pretty uncontroversial stuff yes?

Yup, with you so far.
    Now, our minds are our brains (if you disagree on this one, you and I must have a chat about mental illness!).

Hmm... might have to have that chat, not sure how literal that statement is.
    Our minds 'execute' on our brains. The physical hardware of the brain is where the mind resides, absolutely; ask anyone knocked out by a punch. But they aren't quite the same thing. The mind is the name we give to the structure of the entity that exists on the brain. In much the same way as the program running on your computers CPU isn't the same as your computers CPU - the software is not the hardware.

Our brains are as much a physical thing as our height is.
    Yes, they are, and also as much a physical thing as my laptop is, or my chair is, or the tree outside is. Made of atoms and stuff.
    You'd need to argue more than that to show they follow similar rules though (roughly normal distribution etc)
    Now there are a lot more environmental factors going on with our brains than our height but intelligence can be viewed in a simple manner as being analogous to height.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Brains are enormously complex, and their relationship to minds is totally not understood. Its not enough to say that both brains and height are biological things, and then reason analogically from there.
    Intelligence is about aptitude not achievement. When we say someone is smarter than another person we mean they've got a better aptitude for mental stuff, not that they simply know more than the other person. What we inherit is merely a potential aptitude.
    Our environments determine how much of this potential we achieve similar to height, just far far more complicated. Nature and nurture can coexist very happily with something like intelligence, and intelligence can be something strongly heritable while still requiring much environmental factors to properly blossom.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here. If you mean by intelligence. our maximum potential future aptitude, at birth, then I don't think thats a useful definition.

So, I agree that we have a limited potential aptitude at birth.
    For one, our brain size is only so big in atoms, and we can put some hard thermodynamic upper bounds on the computational complexity that can be undertaken by a human brain of N atoms (assuming the mind stays bound to its birth brain, and cant be externally augmented by chips, biotech, blah-blah sci-fi stuff). So there's definitely a potential maximum aptitude there. I'd also totally believe that it varies from person to person, according to things like genetically determined brain structure, brain size etc.
    So there are upper limits on this birth potential aptitude.

But there's also the definition of intelligence as a measure of how smart someone is at performing tasks now (like the definition I got from wikipedia before). I think this is a more interesting thing to talk about.

Basically, I think that most people probably don't come close to achieving our birth potential aptitude.
    I think that while we can't really modify our height, our mind is special. We can modify our mind in ways we can't modify our bodies.

We can figure out better ways of approaching problems that substantially alter how efficiently we make use of the computational abilities that our brains grant us.

If you don't believe this, take one basic example:
    If I always try and solve multiplication problems like 12*4 by writing out 4 twelve times, and adding it up, and you come along and teach me multiplication instead, I've gotten more intelligent. That'll show up on an aptitude test, sure. But more fundamentally, it will change the tractability of certain classes of problems for me. It'll change how I intuitively reason about certain problems. It brings me closer to the birth aptitude potential I have.

Its possible to do this for whole classes of problem and approach, other than just simple arithmetic. Logical argument and thought can all be improved too - and are.
    After time, with such training, performance will improve on those standard tests of aptitude. In a very real sense, in a measurable way, peoples performance will improve. If that isn't an increase in intelligence, I don't know what is.

Now, maybe you are talking about potential birth aptitude.
    If you are talking about our birth potential aptitude, then I could see why you think thats fixed. But its not interesting to think about - I don't think any of us come close to achieving what we could if we knew the best way to approach problems generally. We're figuring out stuff all the time.
    My mechanical reasoning is better than people in pre-newtonian times, because of my second level education in physics, and because of the better information available to us. This improvement actually does effect my ability to do things on a day to day basis, to problem solve etc.
    As another example, I understand what a lever is, and what it does, (sure, many people still don't - but even fewer would in the far past). This enables me to solve real problems more effectively, in a very general setting. Without the education on that topic, I would be less intelligent.

Care to advance a definition of intelligence which would not be covered by these things?
    Now, I promised you a neat economic example and it is this:

First let's set the ground rules. If some group enjoys an innate advantage over another group then the State should tax the better off group to compensate those who through no fault of their own are worse off. This is the basis for the concept of utilitarian taxes (it's more complicated but this is enough to do us). The basic idea is redistributive justice now you may personally strongly disagree with this as the core rule in taxation policy like I do but let's accept it as our core rule for now. We implement this in a very rough sketchy way in our own economy with our concept of a higher and lower tax band.
    Not previously familiar with the term - doesn't sound like I agree with it off the bat. I do think wealthier people should pay more tax, but it might take me some time to forumlate why I think that. But anyway.

We should introduce a height tax.
    At first this seems absurd but sure enough if you look at the data from across multiple developed countries, income correlates very strongly with height. To the tune of 5,250 Dollars (in 2003) in yearly income more for someone 6 foot versus someone 5' 5" tall after you control for gender, weight and age. Now there are loads of suggested reasons for this like higher confidence for taller people etc but basically if you're taller you'll tend to earn more and it's something you have absolutely no control over. No amount of work will make you taller, no amount of study will either. So given that it's impossible for the vertically challenged to correct this deficit it is only correct that we adjust tax to account for this distribution in income if one follows the rule of redistibutive justice.

So, should we abandon redistributive justice or tax height? Fantastic question I think. :D

The full paper behind this can be found here: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mankiw/files/Optimal_Taxation_of_Height.pdf (if you're not into maths, skip the model section)
    It sounds like we should abandon redistributive justice :)

(At this point, being 6'6", I should state a potential bias.)

The thing is though, I'm only on a stipend at the moment; I'd be really upset at being taxed because I was taller. It mightn't be a good idea to upset all the tall people- we're bigger than you!

Its an interesting question though. Should heavier people have to pay more for transport? (I'm heavier than the median too, because I'm taller)
    If not, then because I'm taller, and have to eat more food, should I get a special food subsidy? Isn't it inconsistent?

I'd have to think about redistributive justice a bit.
    Are you mentioning this because smarter people should be taxed more too? Perhaps you should be taxed according to your IQ test results, regardless of what career you go into?

I dunno, I think it makes more sense to tax income, and more from the rich.
    Can you not just say that the poorer people need more of the little income they have to live on, assuming somewhat fixed living costs, while the rich can afford to pay more, so they do? And that the only reason not to tax the richer completely is to provide incentive to be more economically efficient and profitable? What does this fall into?

What you are not getting is that adopted twin got the same results in IQ ( or personality tests) as their biological twin adopted elsewhere regardless of who adopted them, but not (necessarily) the same as the biological children of the couple who adopted them ( at r = 0.7).

That is their IQ was on average better than their step siblings when adopted into less cerebral environments, and worse if adopted into families with smarter step-sibilings. The twins correlate as much on personality, and intelligence as if raised together.

Ah, hadn't realised that. Thats the problem with discussing stuff you aren't familiar with on the internet. That's fairly convincing then, better read this stuff.

Not surprising, as DZ twins are clones.
    *Gasp* Clones!
    You mean the MZ twins here, right?
    Otherwise, I am going to be confused.
    This is not a reason to give up on aspiration and education for the poorer clases because

1) There are people who have intelligence but who have not been discovered.
    2) Regression to mean, which I mentioned elsewhere.

Even if society were toally meritocratic, then the bottom 10% should see their kids move up the ladder over time, and the top 10% should move down, because while intelligence is inheritable it is less inheritable at extremes.

Interesting about the regression to mean for height. Doesn't seem to have worked in my family for some reason, through the years, but thats not statistically valid.

It assumes intelligence is bellcurved though - not sure thats the case? IQ is projected onto a bellcurve, but thats not the same thing?

You mean the MZ twins here, right?

Yes, sorry. i am a DZ myself. Not the clone of my sister, I swear :-)
    That's fairly convincing then, better read this stuff.

Pinker's The Blank Slate as mentioned elsewhere.

You misunderstand what the findings were. Kid A is adopted. Kids B and C are biological siblings in A's family. Kid D is A's identical twin.

There will be almost no correlation between A's intelligence and B's and C's. That means that if A is higher or lower than average this doesn't influence whether B and C are higher or lower than average. It says nothing about whether adoptive siblings are more or less smarter than biological siblings. What it means is that A's IQ is as likely to be similar to B's or C's as it would be to any random stranger plucked off the street!

D on the other hand will very likely have higher than average intelligence if A is higher and vice versa, to the point of their IQs as being very similar regardless of who adopts D. B and C on the other hand will also have correlated IQs but not as strongly correlated as A and D since B and C only share some of their genes. That's why this is so striking! There is clear and present correlation between A and D, and B and C, but none between A and B or A and C on average.

We're looking at the averages from samples of 4,000-5,000 pairs. The noise from individual family differences cancels itself out at this sample size to be honest. You line up 4,000 pairs of twins and siblings etc and check if their IQs match up well. This has also been done for randomly selected people and the correlation in that instance approaches 0 the more people you look at!

Ok - that sounds very convincing.

Thanks for telling me about it.
    Going to read up on this stuff in more detail at some stage.

Ok - that sounds very convincing.

Thanks for telling me about it.
    Going to read up on this stuff in more detail at some stage.

Cool, glad you find it interesting. Now look at this graph again, it compares said studies for identical and fraternal twins, MZ and DZ

Basically they picked the traits that showed strong correlation in MZ twins (0.4 and above) and compared them to DZ twins. The sample sizes are the numbers in the columns, all are large enough to be interesting but anything over 1,000 should be taken very seriously.

Look at the difference! I mean, Extraversion, with 9,800 samples for MZ twins and 14,200 for DZ twins! The difference is huge! It's substantial in most other areas too, but in some it reduces the correlation to relatively negligible levels (0.2 or below)*.

In order of similarity of factors before birth:

MZ twins: Identical genes + Identical pre-natal womb conditions
    DZ twins: Similar genes + Identical pre-natal womb conditions
    Biological Siblings: Similar genes + Different pre-natal womb conditions
    Adoptive Siblings: Different genes + Different pre-natal womb conditions

By comparing samples of these four groups we can isolate and analyse the effect of all four different combinations. That's the logic that lies behind these kinds of studies.

*0.2 is still important if it's statistically significant, but it indicates only a weak relationship between the two.

Nice one - Davao, a return to topic.
    Davao8000 wrote: »
    I think there is something slightly racist in the whole idea (myth?) of the knowledge economy.

It seems to be pitched along the lines of - we can't compete with other countries in terms of manufacturing but we can in terms knowledge-based industries. Are these other countries less intelligent than us? No, but the way the knowledge economy is pitched the answer seems to be yes. If they are not less intelligent then are we saying we have people here who are better educated? I think this is slightly racist again - China and India produce people who take up many of the research student places in this country (and they do so on merit) even when it is less costly to hire EU citizens.

Whether you believe in mostly a nature or nurture reasons for intelligence, it takes a lot more than intelligence to produce the goods of a knowledge economy.
    I'm pretty sure I've learned a lot since I finished college. I reckon I've gotten more intelligent overall (question of definition, as debated).
    But I know for a fact I've gotten a lot better at writing software, the process of software engineering etc.

I learned a lot by spending some time working in California, and a good bit of time working with smart people from smart US companies.
    Competing in knowledge industries requires more than just smart people. You need good support environments, good processes, a suitable culture.
    You couldn't take a bunch of smart people from the 40s, and transplant them into modern Ireland, and say 'here, make an iphone clone'. They'd fail - there's just so much you have to learn before you can make really good things like that.
    So that's the first thing. Its not just about intelligence, theres a whole load more to it than that. That's partly why California keeps on doing so well. They aren't that much smarter than, for example, France. They've a great culture and ability to innovate, and they couple this with know how and a bunch of other things. I'm naturally sceptical of buzzwords like this, but thats what I notice. The knowledge economy stuff is hard to do, and it takes a while to figure out how to do it.
    Are these other countries less intelligent than us? No, but the way the knowledge economy is pitched the answer seems to be yes. If they are not less intelligent then are we saying we have people here who are better educated?

Regarding the pitching of the knowledge economy, well, according to wiki, there's 20m people in higher education in china.
    That's a much lower % of population than in Ireland.
    So there is a difference there in level of education, even if our absolute numbers are smaller.

We've also had a few good successes in the past with our home grown software, despite not that much govt. support. (FDI gets a lot). Also, theres a lot of Irish people in tech internationally, you keep running into them, so we seem to be ok at it.
    And really, look, what else are we going to do? Build houses? Sell beef?

I think this is slightly racist again - China and India produce people who take up many of the research student places in this country (and they do so on merit) even when it is less costly to hire EU citizens.

They do indeed. From what I've seen, many of them kick ass.

And obviously we want really good people coming here, cross fertilization etc is great, but its cause for concern if Irish grads aren't able to compete internationally.

I think anyone that thinks "ah yeah, we'll be grand with this knowledge economy thing as we're smarter than everyone else" has got it very gravely wrong.

But thats not an argument against building a knowledge economy in itself.

It's should be more like:

"Well, we do educate a large % of the population, so something that requires a large number of educated people is probably good. We've had success in knowledge economy before. We're some part of the way there.
    And we've been out-competed on manufacturing and extraction, so theres very little else we can do. Better work like mad to get a good culture of innovation and a good knowledge economy going before the rest of the world starts doing that better than us too."

That's how I'd say to think about it anyway. Certainly, anyone who relies on the belief that other people somehow genetically wont be able to do it better than us is mistaken.

We do currently have a (fast-ebbing) advantage in some areas though.

But not in others. In hong kong at the moment, and in some ways the level of infrastructural development is so far ahead of Ireland its staggering.

I really think if Ireland is to survive as a first world country, some serious pulling up of socks needs to be done.

Btw, some Irish people are doing some really cool tech stuff at the moment - its great to see some of the fresh ideas and startups coming down the line. We could do this stuff really well; we've had success before, and we can have more - but we do seriously need to work at it.

Hmm... might have to have that chat, not sure how literal that statement is.
    Our minds 'execute' on our brains. The physical hardware of the brain is where the mind resides, absolutely; ask anyone knocked out by a punch. But they aren't quite the same thing. The mind is the name we give to the structure of the entity that exists on the brain. In much the same way as the program running on your computers CPU isn't the same as your computers CPU - the software is not the hardware.

Ok, first the philosophical point:

Why have two things when one explains everything? Seriously, think about that and forget any ideas of free will or anything else (you don't want to get me started on free will :D).

Philosophically you're talking about dualism. The mind being separate to the body. So where is the mind etc? How does it interact with the brain? Why can't we see any of this interaction going on in brain scans?

If your answer is that the mind is the soul, then well, we can stop arguing about it because we'll never agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

In general you are right. I dont even agree that the manufacturing industry is "low-skilled" - maybe the work on the line but nothing else - the line manager, the people making the quotas, the guys fixing the line, the technicians, the managers working on supply from factories - just in time etc.

As for the rest of the knowledge economy, yep we are not any more intelligent. I think there are barriers to entry for people competing with Silicon Valley - an established entrepeurial culture, a VC culture, world class schools etc. The smartest go there,

A friend I have was recently sent a large portion of work to test precisely because the Chinese facility had mucked up testing the product.

Ignoring that we have cultural knowledge of the US market and British markets which are some of the largest markets for software. We speak English as our first language so have no problem reading the online documentation and less problems reading the code (as most keywords are English or maths in programming languages).

So I think we are in a good position to attract that kind of investment. Then you have operations like the new data centre Microsoft built here as it is energy efficient because of extremely regular weather patterns that stay within a predictable range most of the time. With IT moving to cloud computing, there will be many more of these data centres built by companies which we could attract.

These facilities require internal networks that require maintenance which is more jobs and then the broadband networks they will need (which is where we fall down on our arse). Our biggest barriers in these areas IMO are electricity costs and broadband costs/speed/availability and we fail on all 3 of the broadband requirements :(

Advertisement