Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations Jenson Button and Brawn

• 20-10-2009 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Worthy champions all round.

Brawn proved why he's the best man in the paddock - not just because he turned the worst team in the world around in one year, but because he's a decent, fair and honest boss, something the F1 world needs to see. This is a guy who put his money and reputation into a team that nobody else in their right mind would have touched with a bargepole, a team dismissed as another manufacturer's glory run by the technically incompetent, and created a championship worthy squad on all fronts. He took time to dedicate the win to the people he had to let go after the winter, which shows he understands more of what the business is like than anyone.

Button drove like a demon in the first 7 races, to the point that people wrote off the season. He was dominant and controlled racing from the front, and incisive when the overtaking needed to be done. When the immense expectation and pressure of his home race came along, he started to falter. No matter how bad things got, however, he always fought back in the races, made perhaps one mistake all year long, and fought his way back into the points every time. When things weren't going easy for him, he made every race count in a way no other driver did. When even his supporters doubted him after qualifying in Brazil, he produced a stunning drive in a car that wasn't as fast as the two behind him, made the sort of gutsy, ballsy overtaking moves that people said he couldn't make, and when he was in the position he needed to be, he dialled it back, and took it home like a champion instead of a glory seeking maniac. He's the only driver who took chances and did the overtaking all year. He didn't just rely on a fast car, he didn't just take advantage of other people's misfortune, he saw the title and took it, he wasn't handed it on a plate like Hamilton had been in 2007. More important, he's not a liar, a cheat, a fraud, an egotist, or a maniac.

To the team that built the car, read Andrew Benson's blog. Yes they had a whole year of Honda money. What they then had to do to get the car on the road was miraculous. And they did it - they essentially rebuilt and redesigned 3 cars to last all season in the space of a few months. Don't take that away from them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well said.. Before last Sunday I was thinking that jenson was not worthy of winning it and hoped Vettel would win there and Jenson get no points to take it to the final Round, But after seeing Jensons superb drive to glory I am glad he got there.

Just as a matter of interest.
    How much in terms of financial gain is it worth to Brawn coming first in both titles over say coming 2nd or 3rd?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

vectra wrote: »
    Well said.. Before last Sunday I was thinking that jenson was not worthy of winning it and hoped Vettel would win there and Jenson get no points to take it to the final Round, But after seeing Jensons superb drive to glory I am glad he got there.

Just as a matter of interest.
    How much in terms of financial gain is it worth to Brawn coming first in both titles over say coming 2nd or 3rd?:confused:

As far as I know most prize money goes per-point depending on the constructors' championship, so wins are always welcome. :P In terms of sponsorship it'll be 10 or more million each for Brawn and Button I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Yes. Congrats to Jensen and Brawn. Two of formula 1's nice guys I think, but I am going to start a thread now regarding weather Jensen is deserving to be a Formula 1 world champion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Congratulations to Brawn and Button on winning this years championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I don't understand this kind of journalism.

If Brawn had the Honda engine they would have been nowhere, and the season would have had a few wins but not much else. Undoubtedly this would have been viewed as a success but this article is clearly by someone who doesn't watch or understand the sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Interesting point, but what they gained by the merc engine, was offset by some performance by having to change the weight distro to accomdate the merc engine. I'm sure the merc engine overall was a plus though.

Wonder would they have won with the orgional car plan i.e with Honda engine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 congrats

esp with a car that was getting less competitive (guessing their upgrade packages were done on the cheap as well)

great result for a team struggling with funding all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Reading Benson's article, I get the distinct impression that the chassis was so compromised they couldn't effectively upgrade it at all after they shoehorned the Merc into it. Remember Red Bull and McLaren basically had to scrap their design and create a "B spec" car to compete - Brawn simply couldn't do that. All the more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

frostie500 wrote: »
    I don't understand this kind of journalism.

If Brawn had the Honda engine they would have been nowhere, and the season would have had a few wins but not much else. Undoubtedly this would have been viewed as a success but this article is clearly by someone who doesn't watch or understand the sport

Ed Gorman is a classic Murdoch Journalist - scatter-gun approach to putting out pieces that may or may not make any sense. Some are spot on, others are head scratching.

Advertisement