If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision Awards 2009

Options
  • 20-10-2009 9:14am
    Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Guys as many of you know the What Hifi Awards 2009-2010 were held at the end of last month in London - along with the EISA awards these are really the most important awards in the AV Season in Europe and have a huge impact on our industry. The Awards issue of What Hi-fi is now out in the shops but here is a brief (not exhaustive) taste of the awards.

Televisions

Nominated:

Small Screen: Samsung LE26B450
    Best 32": Philips 32PFL7404h
    Best 37": Panasonic TX-L37S10
    Best 40-42": Philips 42PFL9664h
    Best large screen: Samsung UE46B8000

What Hi-Fi TV of the year - Philips 42PFL9664h

AV Receivers & AV Amplifiers

Up to £300: Sony STRDH800
    £300-£500: Denon AVR1910
    £500-£1000: Denon AVR2310
    £1500 +: Pioneer SC-LX82

What Hi-Fi AV receiver of the year - Denon AVR1910

AV Speaker Packages

Up to £1000: Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack
    £1000 - £1500: B & W 685 Theatre
    £1500 + : Monitor Audio RX6 AV12

What Hi-Fi AV Speaker Pack of the year - Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema pack

What Hi-Fi Style Speaker Pack

£500-£1000: B & W MT-25
    £1000 - £1500: Monitor Audio Radius 90 HD10
    Best £1500+: B&W MT30

What Hi-Fi Style Speaker Pack of the year - B & W MT-25

What Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier of the year

Up to £500: Marantz PM6003
    £500-£1000: Cyrus 6 XP
    £1000-£1500: Cyrus 8 XPd
    £1500+: Leema Tucana II

What Hi-Fi Stereo amplifier of the year - Cyrus 6 XP

What Hi-Fi Style music system of the year

Up to £400: Denon DM37dab
    £400-£800: Arcam Solo Mini
    £800-£1500: Teac Reference 600
    £1500+: Naim Uniti

What Hi-Fi System of the Year - Naim Uniti

What Hif-fi have now put up a Micro Site dedicated to the awards - have a look here: http://awards.whathifi.com/

That's just a brief taster of the awards - pop on out and grab the magazine if you want to see the full list or as ever please do drop us a line if we can assist in any way.

Thanks as ever guys,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

What Hi-Fi Style music system of the year

Up to £400: Denon DM37dab
    £400-£800: Arcam Solo Mini
    £800-£1500: Teac Reference 600

... which one won the award for this category?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

robnet77 wrote: »
    ... which one won the award for this category?

I think those are the categories and their winners :

ie.
    In the price range 0 - 400 the winner was the Denon DM37dab etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Doh ! I was hoping to go out and buy the mag this evening, but now I just have to go and check out the site......
    Guess I should have bought the PM6003 before it won an award then !

John on a serious note.. do the manufacturers increase the prices of the winners now that they have a prestigoius award against them? I read something to that affect on a different forum.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

chris_ie wrote: »
    I think those are the categories and their winners :

ie.
    In the price range 0 - 400 the winner was the Denon DM37dab etc..

it looks like there was a single winner for each category, according to the previous lines... the "Televisions" category at the beginning seems to clarify... different sizes, one product nominated for each category, and eventually one winner...

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

kao123 wrote: »
    Doh ! I was hoping to go out and buy the mag this evening, but now I just have to go and check out the site......
    Guess I should have bought the PM6003 before it won an award then !

John on a serious note.. do the manufacturers increase the prices of the winners now that they have a prestigoius award against them? I read something to that affect on a different forum.

cheers

Kao,

no generally not to be fair - however what can happen is the increased demands for a winning product will mean that it can be harder for the retailer to secure the product - meaning that discounts that previously were given by the retailer may no longer be available ( as he can probably sell as many as he can get of a particular product)

The main products that we have stock pressure on at the moment are:

Philips 42PFL9664 - low stocks but more promised for next week
    Philips 32PFL7404 - Low stocks but reasonable availability
    Samsung LE26B450 - No stock at present

Marantz CD6003 - In stock - but future stocks very limited

Onkyo NS-1D (Winner of accy & Digital Music Player) No Stock but due soom

Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack - Not had it yet - I understand it's due very soon
    Monitor Audio RX Series - Some finishes in stock, but really short on Piano lacquer finish
    Monitor Audio Radius Series - Most finishes in stock

Denon DM37 Dab - Really short - Very limited stock this week - more stock in end of October - I understand this willl be short the whole way to Christmas!
    Teac Reference 600 - What a nice system - Very limited stock available

Marantz PM6003 - Limited Stock available

Denon AVR1910 - Very limited stocks available - again I understand that this will be short for the rest of the year - we are working very hard to secure stock

Denon AVR2310 - Very limited stocks available - again I understand that this will be short for the rest of the year - we are working very hard to secure stock
    Sony STR-DH800 - No stock at present

Thats a list of whats in short supply at the moment - but usually within the 1st few weeks after the awards are announced Manufacturers try to secure additional stocks - so it can change - if you have any queries - please just drop us a line and we will do our best to keep you up to date.

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Thanks for that John, time to start a new slush find and start saving for that PM6003 after all, damn what-hifi and their good reviews and awards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frank11

John,
    I just got my sitting room wired for my very first home cinema system so . . . .
    My first thoughts was to go for a Yamaha receiver RX-V1065, RX-V765, RX-V1900 or DSP-AX863SE but seeing though Yamaha are not even mentioned in the awards I may be swayed towards the Denon AVR2310 or AVR1910. What are your thoughts?
    As for speakers I had no idea but the Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema pack I think would suit my needs. Compact and wall mountable. Would these be a good match for the above receivers?
    Can you give me some prices and availability for the above? I’m looking for all black gear to match the excellent Philips 966 I picked up of the boys in Dame Street.

Cheers John
    PS
    your timing is impeccable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

might as well throw this in aswell for some advice john,

going to declutter, get rid of the 5.1 and dvd player, and look out for a micro/mini hifi that has built in dvd and dab and has enough input to hook up ipod and ntl box and external hdd.living room of about 10m square. been looking at this teac system :

http://whathifi.com/News/TEAC-launches-all-in-one-DVD-receiver-complete-with-iPod-dock/

its just slightly out of my price range when i ad the speakers. I haven't heard any reviews on this but i'v heard that the model before this was riddled with problems including bad hdmi connection,and chopping the last couple of seconds off a cd song. have you tested this out yet, and how much would you stock it for?

hope you can help

cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.