Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES GRANTED !!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

...another batch just arrived.

Among others, a couple of items of note:
    .220 Revolver by SMITH AND WESSON granted :D
    .220 Rifle by WALTHER granted :D:D:D

The Walther is particularly interesting, as it's a G-22 and therefore Restricted by virtue of its bullpup configuration.
    I applied for it as a Restricted Firearm, but I note the letter granting the application is from my local Superintendent. Perhaps it got 'converted' to Non-Restricted somewhere in the system, or perhaps it really IS granted as Restricted. :confused:
    Whatever, I'm happy. :)

Still waiting with bated breath for the 9mm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote: »
    I applied for it as a Restricted Firearm, but I note the letter granting the application is from my local Superintendent. Perhaps it got 'converted' to Non-Restricted somewhere in the system, or perhaps it really IS granted as Restricted. :confused:
    Whatever, I'm happy. :)
    I think the path back to you is through the Super even if the Chief granted it.

You don't actuially apply to the Chief, it's just passed up the line to him, so presumably it's the same path back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

rrpc wrote: »
    I think the path back to you is through the Super even if the Chief granted it.

You don't actuially apply to the Chief, it's just passed up the line to him, so presumably it's the same path back.
    So it may indeed be granted as a Restricted Firearm?

If so, it's the first I've heard of. Sweet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

...another batch just arrived.

.220 Revolver by SMITH AND WESSON granted :D

Such wonderful news, I, I, I love you Rovi, there, I said it. :D

If full bore target pistols start being issued, this might get awkward.......:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

got mine in the post today. woo hoo! now have to send it off today as soon as possible so there might be a chance i can get the gun in time for Nov 1st fingers crossed!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Got my 4th and last today, had applied for moderators on both 22lr and .223 so will be interesting to see if they appear on the licence!

So it may indeed be granted as a Restricted Firearm?

If so, it's the first I've heard of. Sweet! :D
    Might not be. The 22As and Hammerli X-Esses that were granted may have been granted as restricted firearms if they were applied for as 10 round pistols.

It's only five round mags that are unrestricted, remember.

But mainly it's down to what box was ticked on the application. Restricted should be granted as restricted, obviously :D

Might not be. The 22As and Hammerli X-Esses that were granted may have been granted as restricted firearms if they were applied for as 10 round pistols.

It's only five round mags that are unrestricted, remember.

But mainly it's down to what box was ticked on the application. Restricted should be granted as restricted, obviously :D

Sikamick also posted about a S&W 22A granted, not modified down to 5 magazine capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It's only five round mags that are unrestricted, remember

Exactly - so a S&W 22a or a Pardini are the same as they both have external magazines therefore there is no inherent limit to their capacity.

They are both listed on the Commissioners Guidelines for 'UnRestricted' Licensing.

Hence, they are non-restricted firearms.

I am sure that a license for a restricted fiorearm, when we see one, will be different from an unrestricted firearm - might be as simple as an 'R" on the end of the license number - but there will be a difference.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

Got my letter for my semi auto shotgun today, have to go fill in another slip of paper "applying" for the moderator on the .308, seems happy with the reasons, and fill in another form for the substitution of the .22 for a new .22. at least the ball is rolling.
    Bang

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

bang wrote: »
    Got my letter for my semi auto shotgun today, have to go fill in another slip of paper "applying" for the moderator on the .308, seems happy with the reasons, and fill in another form for the substitution of the .22 for a new .22. at least the ball is rolling.
    Bang

Thought ticking the box on the the "new" form covered this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

Thought ticking the box on the the "new" form covered this ?

Not so for my sergeant , wants a piece of paper with me applying for the mod , not filling in a form , just a piece of paper , to cover his ass I'd imagine . anyway will know more tomorrow when I go see him.

Bananaman wrote: »
    Exactly - so a S&W 22a or a Pardini are the same as they both have external magazines therefore there is no inherent limit to their capacity.

They are both listed on the Commissioners Guidelines for 'UnRestricted' Licensing.

Hence, they are non-restricted firearms.

I am sure that a license for a restricted fiorearm, when we see one, will be different from an unrestricted firearm - might be as simple as an 'R" on the end of the license number - but there will be a difference.

B'Man
    It is stated in the guidelines that they have a 5 round magazine limit. It's also stated in the SI which is the legal basis for the list in the guidelines. Regardless of how idiotic it is, the law as it stands requires you to declare a >5 shot 'listed' pistol as restricted and I've heard of a number of cases of people being told to either reduce the capacity or licence as restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

No post my way today the wait still goes on .

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Congratulations!! it is not as bad as we all thought was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lets wait and see before we start all breaking out the Champers just yet...
    There isnt much on the big cal stuff yet,the restricted shotguns or centrefire handguns..
    I sent in mine on Aug27th and still nothing....Apart from my local FO coming out and asking my mother and fiancee ageist and sexist questions from our Super about their shooting habits..:mad:.Then back to inspect the security and guns,and moan about my ammo increase.Put them all at the default of 500. Did get to see one of my confirmation of recipt letter and a decision would be made by Jan 2010 on one of my restricted firearms.[shotgun]..
    So lets just say lets hold fire here awhile :( [pun intended]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Great to see so many guys getting good news. However, I'd feel better if someone actually physically had a cert for a fullbore pistol.

Still waiting on my 3 certs to appear including 2 x restricted. Cops came yesterday to look at serial numbers and my security. No problems there and the cop was a nice guy and said everythgin looked very good but the decision won't be made by him.

As Grizzly says, lets hold off on the Champagne for a day or two yet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done everyone on getting their licences. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

4 licences approved including one for a new 308 today.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Good stuff foxshooter243, admit it you are grinning like a cat.

All the licenses granted are like first time licenses. Even though its really only your licenses back there has been so much talk and speculation about the entire ordeal that getting them is like being a young lad again and getting your fist licence and first gun.

I know the centrefire pistols are still being delayed, semi refused etc, but at least the rest of the procedures seem to be kicking in nicely.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i rang the firearms policy unit yesterday and asked if my .22 webley revolver is a restricted firearm because it is similar in specification to the s+w 617 .

the reply was to apply for it as an unrestricted pistol and to only ever load the cylinder with 5 rounds , if i was to load it with the full 6 it would then be classed as a restricted pistol and if i were challenged by a guard and had the full 6 in it the licence could be revoked .

is this a piss take or irish logic on display ?

The other good thing is there is no visiting of local post offices to pay. At least that fear is gone.

rowa wrote: »
    i rang the firearms policy unit yesterday and asked if my .22 webley revolver is a restricted firearm because it is similar in specification to the s+w 617 .

the reply was to apply for it as an unrestricted pistol and to only ever load the cylinder with 5 rounds , if i was to load it with the full 6 it would then be classed as a restricted pistol and if i were challenged by a guard and had the full 6 in it the licence could be revoked .

is this a piss take or irish logic on display ?
    Quite a fair amount of licensing regulation depends on the honesty of the licensee. You could tell all manner of porkies on your application and only time and very strict policing would winkle it out.

Do we want very strict policing?

Do we want very strict policing?

I'll just be delighted not to have to butcher my 617 and anyway as I shoot in a club, the club will have a list of firearms that the members have and what type of cert was issued for it, we'll be explaining VERY STRONGLY to all our members that they must abide by the law, anyone looking for loopholes will be kicked out of the club and the Gardaí immediately informed. No room for messers any more. A club or its authorised officer is now bound by law to make sure everything is above board. I for one will be administering a zero tolerance approach, if you're licensed for 5, 5 it is.

rowa wrote: »
    the reply was to apply for it as an unrestricted pistol and to only ever load the cylinder with 5 rounds

That makes for very good sense I reckon. A very easy solution, which I'd never thought of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

freddieot wrote: »
    Great to see so many guys getting good news. However, I'd feel better if someone actually physically had a cert for a fullbore pistol.

Still waiting on my 3 certs to appear including 2 x restricted. Cops came yesterday to look at serial numbers and my security. No problems there and the cop was a nice guy and said everythgin looked very good but the decision won't be made by him.

As Grizzly says, lets hold off on the Champagne for a day or two yet !

Freddie,

When you do celebrate you should get the Bollinger that comes in the bullet shaped container (limited 007 edition). I think it's about 3500 Euro:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

I was wonderign who would be the best person to call to see what is happening with the application? FO or Superintendant?

FO in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

have mine gone via swift post today so i do. really need to get the licenses asap so that i can get my hands on my new shotgun for dec 1st.

6 working days from when they receive it tomorow so i may be lucky to get it so i might!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭berettadt10

Got my other two today. Yipeeeeee... Best of luck with your applications.

Advertisement