Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES GRANTED !!!!!!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Will one postal order do for two or more licences ie. send them all back in the same envelope or do they have to go back as individual payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Probably wisest to get 2 postal orders and send them in separate envelopes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Must be individual payments. It states on the grant letter that each letter must be accompanied by the payment for that firearm and they will not accept one lump payment for all licenses. Pain inthe a**e. Had to get 7 postal orders at €3 each. Not a huge amount i know but still would rather have just gotten one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

ezridax wrote: »
    Must be individual payments. It states on the grant letter that each letter must be accompanied by the payment for that firearm and they will not accept one lump payment for all licenses. Pain inthe a**e. Had to get 7 postal orders at €3 each. Not a huge amount i know but still would rather have just gotten one.

I sent all 3 together along with 1 payment, all three Licences arrived this week, happy days appart from only 100 round ammo limit.

Ok - the way I read that was that you could only use one cheque or order and not a multiple of them to pay the €80 in full for one licence

It doesn't say that you can't put 3 full payments on the one cheque/order and send off together.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had done what I'm going to do - tx ranger 4 - save me €6 on two orders that I don't have to get now.

LB :D

• Advertisement

I don't claim to be an authority on the matter, like most of the lads here i'm going on best guess. The form stated that "only one euro cheque or bank draft for the full amount per payment is acceptable". I aired on the side of caution and sent each letter with its own €80 payment. I may be wrong and if lads are getting them by paying in one lump sum and all the letters together then more power to you and well done. I just wanted to be ultra careful so as not to get them back in the post as refused or resend as seperate payments.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

While my fingers are warm i thought i'd throw this out there. Take it as a cautionary note, warning, or advice.

Alot of us have our extensions that expire on 31st October (Saturday, midnight). While our extensions covered us until this date and even though we are receiving receipt letters and grant letters they do not legally cover us as they are not a licence. My advice, as it is, would be to advise lads to not take the chance of bringing out your firearms if you have not received your new licence. Your FOs (as some lads have posted) may have told you "sure you'll be alright" but its you that run the risk of loosing your firearms if you meet a Garda and he asks for your licence and you are unable to produce one. A grant letter or expired extension will not cut it. Should your gun(s) be taken, you will mosy likely get them back but to avoid the stress and hassle of it all sacrifice the 1st day or days and wait for your licence.

I am putting this in here as it seems the most relevant place. Its only advice lads and take or leave it i just thought it would be no harm to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Valhalla18

Have recieved licence for .22 & shotgun - have been told i will be informed tomorrow if my restricted firearm ( rifle ) has been passed

Welcome aboard Valhalla18. Curiosity has the better of me. What is the rifle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

ranger4 wrote: »
    I sent all 3 together along with 1 payment, all three Licences arrived this week, happy days appart from only 100 round ammo limit.

i would not except the ammo limited to a 100 rounds ,for what firearm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Anyone posting off anything in the current climate would be wise to photo copy all documents including postal orders IMO and extension letters, send one letter and payment per envelope and register everything.

Might be the way to go alright John. Worth the €12 extra just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

DO remember, not only is the new system a problem for a lot of people but the unions are kicking up a stink over pay and who knows if someone there will have a beardy bright idea to **** with the admin side. No strike I know, but blue flu mark two who knows.

johngalway wrote: »
    Anyone posting off anything in the current climate would be wise to photo copy all documents including postal orders IMO and extension letters, send one letter and payment per envelope and register everything.

Done and done. Hence my previous post about being ultra careful. Photocopies of FCA1s, receipts from Gardai, receipt letters, grant letters, postal orders, receipts for postal orders and everything sent by registered post. Now if that not anal what is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Valhalla18

Yippee , just recieved word from chief super office , have been approved for restricted .38/357 lever action - letters and phone calls do work ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Valhalla18 wrote: »
    Yippee , just recieved word from chief super office , have been approved for restricted .38/357 lever action - letters and phone calls do work ,
    Well done and congratulations! :D

Unfortunately, I'm hearing disappointing news from other directions. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

clivej wrote: »
    Yes I got the Sako 308 granted and the payment letter today.

Whats that I see Light at the end of the tunnel

I was told from someone at the FPU that the license will have an "S" on it if you are granted the moderator for the gun.

I'm still waiting on a reciept for my 22lr, but have got one for the 223.

The only 'S' on my licences is on te holograph and they all have that even the 12G

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hmmm. This may be a new record.

I've moved from Greystones in the last year after getting engaged, so this year was going to be the renewal and move in one go. And with work suddenly going insane along with other things, I screwed the pooch on submitting the paperwork and it didn't go into the Gardai until Thursday, Oct.29. The local FO saw it on Friday, Oct.30 and called me about it that night, I met him on Monday, Nov.2 at lunch so he could see me and my passport to verify identity (because I'd never been to the local station before and nobody knew me), and from the phone call I just made, all three licences (one smallbore rifle, one air rifle, one air pistol) were granted on Wednesday afternoon (Nov.4) despite confusion over the pistol not being in the Guidelines Schedule, and now we're just waiting on the postman.

I mean, under the old system it took almost eight days to get the air pistol licence and nearly a fortnight to get the rifle licences.

Maybe it's not all hardship and pain?

(Well, maybe I'll hold off on that one since I've not heard from the postman yet :D )

There was one oddity - the local FO tells me that he can't issue more than 1000 rounds on the licence, that PULSE won't allow it for some reason... which might be a bit of a worry since that's just two tins of air pellets...)

Sparks wrote: »
    (Well, maybe I'll hold off on that one since I've not heard from the postman yet :D )
    Speak of the postman and you'll usually find he's been to your house three hours earlier. First letter in the postbox was the notice that the application had been received; second letter was the notice that the application had been granted :D
    Now to go find an open post office as soon as possible and pay the fee...

There was one oddity - the local FO tells me that he can't issue more than 1000 rounds on the licence, that PULSE won't allow it for some reason... which might be a bit of a worry since that's just two tins of air pellets...)

Is it for rifles only? My mate shoots Clays.....alot.......Shoots county and trying for Irish team. Applied for 4000 rounds and got it. No idea about any extra paperwork (if any was required.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You omitted to mention that it was a whole order of magnitude more than 1000 that you were looking for :D

Others have got 5,000 so it was that extra digit when you wanted 10,000 that caused PULSE to boil over and blow a valve. :p

As I advised in email, 9,999 would have been fine :)

But then I'd have to have the dealer take one pellet out of one tin from the batch! :D

But then I'd have to have the dealer take one pellet out of one tin from the batch! :D
    No, you'd have to count them all. How do you know there's exactly 500 in each tin? :D

rrpc wrote: »
    No, you'd have to count them all. How do you know there's exactly 500 in each tin? :D
    grw_series_scale_12-l.jpg

:D

grw_series_scale_12-l.jpg

:D
    Ha Ha!

Except a small variation in weight (even in the tin itself) and you could be out by one or more.

What are they? about half a gram in weight each? :D

About .9 grams each for pistol and 1.something for rifle. But their weight is as carefully controlled as it is for .22 bullets (if not more so) because it's a major factor in their group size. It's remarkably accurate for counting (though yes, one in a thousand might be inside the noise margin, but it says 500 on the tin so taking one out is the limit of due diligence :D )

About .9 grams each for pistol and 1.something for rifle. But their weight is as carefully controlled as it is for .22 bullets (if not more so) because it's a major factor in their group size. It's remarkably accurate for counting (though yes, one in a thousand might be inside the noise margin, but it says 500 on the tin so taking one out is the limit of due diligence :D )
    I don't think that weight is right. A .22 bullet is (40 grain) about 2.5 grams and a .177 pellet is significantly smaller and hollow where the .22 is solid.

I was of the impression they were about 9 or 10 grain? Actually just looked up RWS pellets and they vary from 7.1 to 8.6 grain.

Which is about half a gram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

And what does this have to do with the title of the thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

And what does this have to do with the title of the thread :p
    i phoned cop shop yesterday and they said all was approved so waiting on post man now:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

rrpc wrote: »
    I don't think that weight is right. A .22 bullet is (40 grain) about 2.5 grams and a .177 pellet is significantly smaller and hollow where the .22 is solid.

I was of the impression they were about 9 or 10 grain? Actually just looked up RWS pellets and they vary from 7.1 to 8.6 grain.

Which is about half a gram.

Please, please, please, please, stop - don't do it!

Advertisement