Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domenech knows what to expect from "England B" side.

• 20-10-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1020/1224257057245.html
    GIVEN THAT his diplomatic efforts in the past have prompted some the country’s leading players to hang up their boots early – and there appears always to be at least one feud with a major star in progress – it should not come as any great surprise that France manager Raymond Domenech yesterday described Ireland as the “England B team” after hearing who he and his side must overcome if they are to make it to another World Cup finals tournament.
    Speaking on RTL radio, in no small part because his relationship with large sections of the rest of the French media is so difficult these days, the 52-year-old went on to welcome the outcome of the draw, insisting the knowledge he and his players possess of next month’s opponents would more than compensate for having to face the second-highest-ranked of the non-seeded sides. “We know what we have to do and that is the important thing,” said the former Lyon, PSG and Bordeaux player, who was also in charge when France came to Dublin four years ago and won thanks to second-half strike by Thierry Henry.
    “Whatever the opposition I would be saying the same thing: that our only objective is to qualify. As it is, it is the Republic of Ireland and so now we must do it by beating them.
    “But the best thing is that we know all their players because they play in the Premier League. Some of my players know them very well. There won’t be any surprises. We know precisely what to expect.”
    Domenech acknowledged that Ireland have emerged unbeaten from a group that included the world champions, but he did not sound overawed by the achievement.
    “They are very solid, very physical, but we also have these qualities. They are the England Bs.”
    The remark might come back to haunt him.
    But it is hard to imagine he would have any future in the job anyway should his side lose to Ireland over two legs and fail to qualify for next summer’s tournament finals in South Africa.
    His grip on the manager’s job looked just as precarious when he brought the French to Lansdowne Road in September 2005, however, with the qualification group still extremely tight ahead of the game against Ireland.
    The three points secured by the French that night provided the impetus for qualification, and while a great many of the country’s football media then presumed that a poor showing in Germany would force his departure, the team, driven on by a resurgent Zinedine Zidane, went all the way to the final in Berlin where they came within a whisker of regaining the title by beating Italy.
    Since then there has been the rather dismal failure of the European Championships. The team qualified despite losing at home to both Ukraine and, more ominously, Scotland, but it was in Switzerland that things really came off the rails.
    A goalless draw with Romania was followed by tame defeats by Italy and the Netherlands.
    For many, Domenech had played a key part in the team’s failure with questionable selections and his poor relationship with key members of the squad seen as having undermined the chances of a group that was already in decline.
    For a while his future hung in the balance. In the end, however, the federation opted to stick with him for another campaign.
    His employers are unlikely to worry too much about who they might turn to in the event that Ireland come out on top next month, but Domenech, they know, has surprised his critics before and few in France would bet heavily against him doing it again.

If this was a hollywood film, the plot would be nicely set up. We have our Villain, and we have our heros....However....it's not hollywood :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

England F team more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

podge018 wrote: »
    England F team more like.

Well D team maybe ;)

Might it not be more apt for France to be called the England B Team with all their premier regulars :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

he said "Angleterre bis", it seems to be open to interpretation as to how dismissive it is
    any native speakers here to explain it's use in a football context

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

parasite wrote: »
    he said "Angleterre bis", it seems to be open to interpretation as to how dismissive it is
    any native speakers here to explain it's use in a football context

Well I think it's reasonably obvious that it's sort of a compliment and a dig all rolled into one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Remember what happened when the South African egg chasing coach said there's only two Irish rugby players good enough for his team, before a game with Ireland? They came here and got beaten.

Comments like that only give the players more reason and will, its fuel for winning!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If we beat them I am going to make a poster of Domenech and Platini's faces after the final whistle and frame it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Lads take this as a fair and only warning that any abuse or racial predijuice and undertones in this thread will be met with extended bans for any and all posters guilty of the offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I hope that comment comes back to haunt him. I've nothing against England or English people at all, but I so wanted to type something alot more stronger than this.

France, bring it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Comments like that only give the players more reason and will, its fuel for winning!

A place in the world cup finals should be all the motivation any player needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Iago wrote: »
    Lads take this as a fair and only warning that any abuse or racial predijuice and undertones in this thread will be met with extended bans for any and all posters guilty of the offence

Maybe you have already edited stuff that I can't see but otherwise, I really wonder what in this thread actually prompted that warning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Me obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

let him say what he wants!! imo this draw aint so bad, the french are very arrogant and hopefully that will be there downfall.

the fai need to do something with croker ticketwise to make an atmosphere, games like these ye wish were in the old lansdowne road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness there was absolutely nothing worng with the atmosphere in Croker for the Italy match, in fact it was absolutely hopping. As loud as I've ever heard the crowd there and I include over a dozen All Ireland finals that I've attended in that. You could only presume it would be ever better again for the france game, give whats at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

England B team? Oh no you di'in't! Wasn't that a gag in Mike Bassett:England manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's kidding himself.

Most of our granny rule players would never have got into an England B side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Trilla wrote: »

interesting his granny once flew over ireland in an aer lingus plane so he's eligible to play for ireland:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Trilla wrote: »

Cahill's been tipped as a future England captain, that article made me lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Nice job of getting up our noses.
    I'm sure he know's Ireland will go hell for leather at France after that comment which will suit them down to the ground. Let us go and run ourselves into the ground trying to prove we can compete with them leaving them nice and fresh for the final few minutes when they'll perhaps get a jammy goal ending our "dreams" for another campaign, and thats IF we're lucky.
    I seem to remember Ireland being a match for France in 2004 in every way except for class.
    Henry's goal was class, and class is something we have never had in abundance.
    It's not impossible for Ireland to beat France but we need to take our chances and keep them out right to the final whistle, because with the likes of Henry, Benzema and Ribery, Domenech has evey right to look down his nose at us as a footballing nation and the smart money says he'll be proven right come the end of the two legs.
    With Irelands penchant for gifting goals to the opposition it's hard to see even a mis firing French side doing anything but cruise past us in the play offs by a 3 or 4 goal margin.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

gucci wrote: »
    A place in the world cup finals should be all the motivation any player needs.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

We should field a team of only Scorpios to mess with his head :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

If I interpret that statement correctly, he appears to be mocking our talent and also an inability to produce born and bread Irish national teams.

I cannot begin to comprehend where he gets De Gaulle (excuse the pun).

The Irony is also considerably perplexing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am not sure the translation literally means 'B Team', I read 'alternate England team' somewhere else.

I see it as more of quip on our players al playing in Englnad and thats about it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

We are Italy B's shorley :mad:
    nullzero wrote: »
    With Irelands penchant for gifting goals to the opposition it's hard to see even a mis firing French side doing anything but cruise past us in the play offs by a 3 or 4 goal margin.
    With Ireland not getting beaten and France, despite the obvious class in their squad, struggling massively to beat the lesser teams (Austria, Romania, Lithuania, Faroe Islands) in their group - I can't see many goals in this. I can easily see one scoreless and one score draw happening. And hopefully in that order too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Can't wait for Domenechs face to be photoshopped onto a snail in tomorrows tabloids, woop casual xenophobia will return :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

major bill wrote: »
    let him say what he wants!! imo this draw aint so bad, the french are very arrogant and hopefully that will be there downfall.

Lame

Vokes wrote: »
    We are Italy B's shorley :mad:

With Ireland not getting beaten and France, despite the obvious class in their squad, struggling massively to beat the lesser teams (Austria, Romania, Lithuania, Faroe Islands) in their group - I can't see many goals in this. I can easily see one scoreless and one score draw happening. And hopefully in that order too!

Absolutely, when you look at their results in the WC qualifiers, and look at how appallingly badly they performed at the 2008 euro finals, it seems that France are just not up to this, despite their undoubted superiority on a player by player basis. Ireland should have been the seeded team

As to the comment, I don't think it's derogatory at all, unless you don't like being compared to England.

I think he was saying that playing Ireland is just like playing England. Hope his back-room staff have done a little more research than him :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This is the same France with the west African and north African starting players? the Striker from Argentina? Yeah? Ah well, pot, kettle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Demenach is a troll, we should ban him from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mayordenis wrote: »
    Demenach is a troll, we should ban him from the forum.

Like certain good trolls at least he makes life interesting though.:pac:

Seaneh wrote: »
    This is the same France with the west African and north African starting players? the Striker from Argentina? Yeah? Ah well, pot, kettle.

The main difference being that these players are in 99% of cases nurtured and developed in France. Wheras the majority of Irish players learn their trade/serve their apprenticeship in England

Who's the Argentinian forward btw?

Be interesting to do a comparison on how many of the respective teams were born in their respective countries...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Foster

-Brown-Lescott-Upson-Bridge

Beckham-Carrick-Parker-A.Young

Crouch-Defoe

Thats an England B Team. Im glad Domenech rates us so highly.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He can go and fcuk himself. Sure wasn't half of the French team that won the world cup Senegalese?!

greendom wrote: »
    The main difference being that these players are in 99% of cases nurtured and developed in France. Wheras the majority of Irish players learn their trade/serve their apprenticeship in England

Who's the Argentinian forward btw?

Be interesting to do a comparison on how many of the respective teams were born in their respective countries...

Ahh Trezeguet, I did not know that

• Advertisement

There's some debate as to whether it was an outright dig or not but to be perfectly honest I would love it if it were. Wouldn't a few weeks of verbal sparring in the press between the two managers be a fantastic way to lead up to the tie? Only thing more exciting than a match like this would be a grudge match.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Oh if we beat the French it'll be the sweetest thing ever purely to see Domenech's face...

...and we'll qualify of course!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I don't know what to make of that B team comment.

But one thing's for sure, I never liked Domenech, and I think he is very unprofessional and unsporting.

I hope we directly cost him his job.

KungPao wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of that B team comment.

But one thing's for sure, I never liked Domenech, and I think he is very unprofessional and unsporting.

I hope we directly cost him his job.

Most of France would agree with you. Rather France lose to Ireland and Domenech finally gets sacked than being embarrassed in S Africa next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Running scared already! :)

Benzema: Republic a rock-hard draw

Karim Benzema has admitted France have got the "worst possible draw" after being paired with Republic of Ireland in the World Cup play-offs.

Les Bleus will take on the Irish in November with the two teams battling it out over two legs for a place in South Africa, after the sides were drawn out of the hat to face each other on Monday.

With France seeded for the draw, they could have been pitted against either Ukraine, Slovenia or Bosnia-Herzegovina, but they were handed a tie against the highest-ranked second seeds.

Real Madrid forward Benzema, who has 27 caps for France, is relishing the test that the Republic will bring, and is desperate for his team to reach the tournament next year.

"It is a very difficult draw, two big games await us for a place in the World Cup 2010 in South Africa," he said.

"In Croke Park, Ireland will count on their fantastic fans to try and have the advantage but we will be ready - we all want to be part of the biggest football event of the world."

They're worried. On paper perhaps they shouldn't be but they are...

Contrary to popular opinion, I think having the first leg here is an advantage.

I've not missed a home game in 15 years, and we play at home on a Saturday, the crowd - in this case 80,000 or so people going to Croker - will have a few beers in them before kick-off. They'll be wild. No question. A Saturday crowd starting at 0-0 with everything to play for will be 10 times louder than a Wednesday crowd maybe a goal or two behind from the 1st leg.

The French have a history of choking under pressure. So the longer we stay in the tie, the more chance we have. It's better to take something into the 2nd game rather than maybe be chasing a game.

Scotland beat them home AND away recently, so maybe Domenech struggles to set his team up against sides like us...

We should have Finnan and O'Shea at full back for this so we're not too badly off. And if Steven Reid can get some match fitness in the next month, we won't be looking too bad going into this at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

briany wrote: »
    There's some debate as to whether it was an outright dig or not but to be perfectly honest I would love it if it were. Wouldn't a few weeks of verbal sparring in the press between the two managers be a fantastic way to lead up to the tie? Only thing more exciting than a match like this would be a grudge match.:D

Yes, I can really see Trap verbally sparring...

TBH the comment is like calling a a New Zealander an Aussie. Its like, no disrespect to England - but WE'RE NOT FUPPING ENGLISH!!!!!
    (well, at least not totally...)

BTW MikeyT086 - that's nto an England 'B' side, thats the first side subs / non-regular starters. Big difference.

TBH the comment is like calling a a New Zealander an Aussie. Its like, no disrespect to England - but WE'RE NOT FUPPING ENGLISH!!!!!
    (well, at least not totally...)

Yes if all the New Zealanders in question had spent virtually all their working lives in Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Ahh Trezeguet, I did not know that
    He is Argentinian but not in the France squad any more (has told Domenech where to shove it).

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    He is Argentinian but not in the France squad any more (has told Domenech where to shove it).

He's been a bit of a flop in a French shirt since he scored the winner in Euro 2000, no great loss tbh; its a shame the French fa didn't tell Domenech where to shove it though. Not too long now though I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm so glad that Domenech has given us something to talk about and added this extra bit of interest to the build up.

Some extra motivation for the squad? Yes please, you can never have too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

wynters wrote: »
    Running scared already! :)

Benzema: Republic a rock-hard draw

Karim Benzema has admitted France have got the "worst possible draw" after being paired with Republic of Ireland in the World Cup play-offs.

Les Bleus will take on the Irish in November with the two teams battling it out over two legs for a place in South Africa, after the sides were drawn out of the hat to face each other on Monday.

With France seeded for the draw, they could have been pitted against either Ukraine, Slovenia or Bosnia-Herzegovina, but they were handed a tie against the highest-ranked second seeds.

Real Madrid forward Benzema, who has 27 caps for France, is relishing the test that the Republic will bring, and is desperate for his team to reach the tournament next year.

"It is a very difficult draw, two big games await us for a place in the World Cup 2010 in South Africa," he said.

"In Croke Park, Ireland will count on their fantastic fans to try and have the advantage but we will be ready - we all want to be part of the biggest football event of the world."

They're worried. On paper perhaps they shouldn't be but they are...

Contrary to popular opinion, I think having the first leg here is an advantage.

I've not missed a home game in 15 years, and we play at home on a Saturday, the crowd - in this case 80,000 or so people going to Croker - will have a few beers in them before kick-off. They'll be wild. No question. A Saturday crowd starting at 0-0 with everything to play for will be 10 times louder than a Wednesday crowd maybe a goal or two behind from the 1st leg.

The French have a history of choking under pressure. So the longer we stay in the tie, the more chance we have. It's better to take something into the 2nd game rather than maybe be chasing a game.

Scotland beat them home AND away recently, so maybe Domenech struggles to set his team up against sides like us...

We should have Finnan and O'Shea at full back for this so we're not too badly off. And if Steven Reid can get some match fitness in the next month, we won't be looking too bad going into this at all...

Bit of class from Benzema in fairness.

Maybe Domenech could learn a thing or two from him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Absolutely, when you look at their results in the WC qualifiers, and look at how appallingly badly they performed at the 2008 euro finals, it seems that France are just not up to this, despite their undoubted superiority on a player by player basis. Ireland should have been the seeded team

I roared with delight watching the play off draw (bit of craic seeing as I was surrounded by Frenchies in my hostel watching it :) ). Was glad to have avoided Russia mainly. France are my lowest rated team from the pot 1. Look at the facts:

This world class team beat the Faroe Islands a whopping 1-0 away recently.

The younger players are devoid of drive and heart because of Domenech. Benzema was quoted as saying he didnt feel like playing in the Serbia game. The fact he chose France when Algeria (or another North Africa team?) were granny rule chasing him shows that he once did have the heart for it. Why is it gone? Domenech, clearly. The same type of boredom, going through the motions rot players suffered under Stan, McClaren, Maradona etc etc.

Thierry Henry felt the need to publicly say that there were essentially no tactics, no gameplan, just get out and do something was the height of the preparation. I seem to remember Carsley saying the same thing in Stans era (though he did claim he was misquoted)

France came second in a group Serbia won. Serbia IIRC arent even doing particularly well.

Essentially France have been poor under Domenechs entire reign. IIRC they started poorly in 2006 WC, Zidane inspired them to that final. I really cant imagine there is a great will among the players to slug their way to eventual defeat in another tournament. They want rid of Domenech.

Well after it has gone through the correct channels of translation I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Their nothing great.Bar there last two games (5-0 v Faroes & 3-1 v Austria) they have drawn 2 games 1-1 and 4 narrow 1-0's

Advertisement