Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco Burials - Green Coffins on Ray Darcy

Options
  • 20-10-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Just listening to Ray darcy and someone from Donegal was on about eco burials. Missed the start but sounded interesting. Link below to website.

http://www.greencoffinsireland.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Excellent idea and site. I often wonder why people spend so much money for the traditional coffin. I mean imagine spending money on a nice car and sealing it in a garage never to be seen again after 2 days.

I think the main reason is 'tradition'. Fair play to Green Coffins for offering an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Auld Babs Cartland was buried in a cardboard coffin. Wicker coffins are popular now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

Heard this on today fm as well. Sounds like a good idea alright. Just make sure they take everything out first - I watched a program one time about people being buried alive - donate everything except my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Slightly off topic but relevant with regards to costs involved with a death/funeral - I know a guy who buried his wife in a corner of a field behind his house.

muffler wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but relevant with regards to costs involved with a death/funeral - I know a guy who buried his wife in a corner of a field behind his house.

Does anyone else know this???..... like say the Gardai?

• Advertisement

130201.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish1967 wrote: »
    Does anyone else know this???..... like say the Gardai?
    Indeed they do - all legit and above board. Planning permission was also granted for it.

and you should know who and where it is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I know a woman who buried her husband down the back of the garden, also legit and above board (in an eco coffin). I think it has to be of a certain distance from buildings before planning permission is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

This is all great.... Where were these coffins made? in Ireland? I think not. and even if they were made in Ireland... why are they offering Banana leaf coffins... last time I looked, there were no bananas growing in Donegal.

Also, having first hand knowledge of the price of these coffins they are not cheap. I don't belive the coffin was purchased from these guys, but it was a wicker coffin... and the price for it was shocking. Undertakers have a ready market, and they milk it for every last €.

The thing is... people die... so it's a great business to be in.. especially in times of recession and now that we are all supposed to be eco aware.... so.. yeah good on them for doing some market research and starting their own business..... but....Eco.... Eco my a*se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

This is all great.... Where were these coffins made? in Ireland? I think not. and even if they were made in Ireland... why are they offering Banana leaf coffins... last time I looked, there were no bananas growing in Donegal.

Also, having first hand knowledge of the price of these coffins they are not cheap. I don't belive the coffin was purchased from these guys, but it was a wicker coffin... and the price for it was shocking. Undertakers have a ready market, and they milk it for every last €.

The thing is... people die... so it's a great business to be in.. especially in times of recession and now that we are all supposed to be eco aware.... so.. yeah good on them for doing some market research and starting their own business..... but....Eco.... Eco my a*se.

Environmentally friendly products don't have to be made in Ireland - 'eco' is a global issue:confused: Hopefully, these coffins can eventually be made here, but I imagine to get a start in a very new business you have to source your product where you can get it. This is a great idea and I hope it takes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Environmentally friendly products don't have to be made in Ireland - 'eco' is a global issue:confused: Hopefully, these coffins can eventually be made here, but I imagine to get a start in a very new business you have to source your product where you can get it. This is a great idea and I hope it takes off.

What I was getting at, was that there are plenty of materials native to Ireland that could be used to make coffins. There is an ecological cost in transporting materials like banana leaves to ireland. Products that are made in Ireland, from Irish materials and sold in Ireland are more environmentally friendly than those made in ireland from materials that have been imported.

Also, in sourcing materials locally you are creating more jobs locally. Yes they are using willow, but there are lots of other materials out there that could be used too. I wish them well.

Advertisement