Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RSI from overuse of mouse

• 20-10-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Any help on this last week or two I am getting tingling pains and numbness from the time I start work and pick up mouse in right hand , ( using computer 7 hrs per day 5 days per week ) now switched to try and use left hand and this has relieved the right arm , but finding it quite slow and awkward , is there still such an item as left mice or is there any products/mouse on the market which limit the range of movement ?? some one told me there is a ball ?? or trackpad ?? whcih will help me use right hand without causing further strain

Thanks for any help:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=416124

You just roll that ball around to control your cursor, its actually quite comfortable.

Honestly though, you should probably see a physio or take a week off the mouse completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most RSI issues with mouse use are to do with the way the user holds and uses the mouse, not overuse. Your hand should lie naturally over the mouse without the wrist being bent or rested on the desk and you should move the mouse from your elbow not the wrist. I'd suggest doing a Google search for 'computer ergonomics' or 'mouse ergonomics' and reading reading some of the tips you'll find on the sites. Some of tips will conflict but they're mostly good common sense.

I know a few people who developed RSI issues due to mouse use and they generally found that moving to a vertical grip mouse (they look a lot like a joystick) was the best fix for them.

Finally, if you have developed RSI issues due to mouse issues and they aren't going away it might be worth seeking some medical advice in case you need to take some additional steps to reverse the problem.

EDIT: This is a good example of of the kind of mouse I mean. It forces the user not to do anything that hurts them. Even if you don't particularly like it, having something like this would be worthwhile for recovery purposes while the injury heals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

I had RSI/CTS issues a couple of years ago from doing a lot of spreadsheets in work - same thing over and over. H&S got involved and assessed my sitting posture, height of my chair, position of the chair's armrests, how my hand worked the mouse. With a few recommended tweaks and replacing my regular mouse with one of these http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~134833~WW~/KENSINGTON%20ORBIT%20OPTICAL%20TRACKBALL.htm, I haven't had a problem since.

Highly recommend it.

Assess your hand position too, though. Try using your opposite hand for a break - you'd be surprised how quickly you can adapt.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

:D Thanks for the suggestions will let you know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Went for the trackerball in the end , takes bit getting used to but because it is so different changed to left hand anyway , give my right a break and leaves it free fro wrtiting etc thanks again for all the tips

• Advertisement
Advertisement