Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere new and unique? Where to go?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey all,

I want to take my husband somewhere unusual for dinner next monday night for his 32nd birthday...he likes his beer and wine, trying new and good food, and something quirky about the place would be good! We live in Dublin! Many ideas appreciated!
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hmm, unique as in venue or unique as in food?

La Peniche is an interesting venue.
    Food - what about a Koren BBQ? There used to be one near Marlborough St on Parnell St, but not sure if it's still there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭catlovesmike

Thanks...what style food is the first one you mentioned and where? Have heard very good things about the korean bbq actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks...what style food is the first one you mentioned and where? Have heard very good things about the korean bbq actually!

La Peniche is French style, same people as Le Mere Zou afaik?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Just for the records: le mere zou is one of the worst restaurant I've ever tried in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

What about Ananda?

It's new enough and serves very good Indian/Pan Asian food from what I hear (I haven't been yet)

I have been to Jaipur though (several times) which has built its success around Sunil Ghai - the current executive chef @ Ananda.

For a unique experience you could try a Teppanyaki spot.
    It's a bit of fun and depending on the menu you choose you can get a nice meal.

I have been to Chai Yo on Baggot Street and thought it was nice - a bit pricey though.
    Lastly, you could try some of the many Tapas eateries that are popping up around dublin. I 've been to the port house a few months back and had no major complaints. Some dishes are better than others but there are plently to choose from and plenty of wine by the glass too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Modern Indian - Ananda in Dundrum
    Korean BBQ/Chinese - Hilan on Capel Street

Thanks everyone, funnily enough we seem to have been to almost all those places! Am now looking for a nice authentic french place...not to big, rustic is appealing...just back from trip to Paris so desperate for more parisien food!! Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Thanks Twenty10, I cooked french onion soup and moules mariniere tonight for our dinner, but think a "professional" french meal is in order! Defo interested in those places, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Or Chez Max;

http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/city_centre/city_centre_south/chez_max.aspx

I've eaten in the first two and enjoyed both - the third place is on my list to visit.

I've eaten here twice, and found it very disappointing on both occasions. A good onion soup was followed by a cassoulet that was heavy on the beans, light on the duck.

Hugo's on Baggot Street is a nice place. French food for the most part. Good wine list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Chez Max or the French Paradox. Either of those should satisfy your craving.

Moules Frites in Chez Max... drool.

Advertisement