Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom CEO jumps ship to Magnet

• 20-10-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

This may not be the right forum, please move if necessary mods.
    http://enn.ie/story/show/10125470

The same paper says that Smart Telecom chief executive Liam Duggan has defected to competitor Magnet Networks as the examiner to the troubled telecoms firm edges closer to signing up a buyer. Digiweb is understood to be closest to signing up to buy the firm; however a number of other telecoms operators are also still interested in Smart, including O2 Ireland, Magnet, Complete Telecom and Planet 21.

It looks a bit like Magnet are after smarts business customers. I don't think they do residential anymore? So after BT selling their customers to Vodafone where does anyone think the smart residential customers will end up now?

It all makes sense with regard to the introduction of the cap a couple of months back. Preparing the customer base to be more attractive to a buyer (or at least as a transfer).

I noticed that the examiner for Smart turned down an offer from Magnet at the end of September also.

Comments

Smart move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

machalla wrote: »
    It looks a bit like Magnet are after smarts business customers.

They wouldn't need the CEO for that. They need the NOC.
    I don't think they do residential anymore? So after BT selling their customers to Vodafone where does anyone think the smart residential customers will end up now?

Both Smart and Magnet do residential.
    It all makes sense with regard to the introduction of the cap a couple of months back. Preparing the customer base to be more attractive to a buyer (or at least as a transfer).

The cap was introduced when Smart started doing bitstream. It was a direct result of the top downloaders on bitstream pulling twice as much as the top downloaders on LLU. That's all that was about. And it's still a soft cap, not actively enforced unless you really go way way beyond it. It's always been there, but now it has been published.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

So after BT selling their customers to Vodafone where does anyone think the smart residential customers will end up now?

Imagine Wimax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

homer911 wrote: »
    Imagine Wimax?

Hardly. Imagine Wimax is mobile Wimax. Essentially = IBB Ripwave just on newer hardware.

IBB Ripwave has failed.
    Clearwire has failed.

Why would you think, that Imagine will do any better with mobile Wimax ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Magnet should buy Smart. Sounds like it's heading that way with the CEO moving from one to the other. I'm a WLR Smart Customer (no LLU where I live). I used to be with Magnet (LLU).

Just the thought of having any other provider (Imagine, Vodafone, O2, etc) gives me headaches...

• Advertisement
Advertisement