Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sainsbury's pay parking

• 20-10-2009 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

You now have to take a parking ticket when parking at Sainsbury's Newry, (free parking for 2 hrs if you spend more then £10) there was just One guy checking cars in and out. 1 lane in and one lane out. So if last Last Christmas is anything to go by, the Q then was all the way from sainsbury back up to the motorway and back to the border. So this Christmas its going to be hell with the Q starting in Dundalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Have a thought for the poor people who live in Newry (me included). Bound to stay home at the weekends, as the traffic around town is too horrific.

Funnily enough I don't know anyone in Newry who does their shopping in Newry anymore. Everybody seems to go to Banbridge or Lisburn or Craigavon these days just to avoid the chaos. Seems the southerners have the Quays and Buttercrane all to themself this XMAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Great, should speed things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Thanks for the info, I do feel sorry for those in Newry tho, as previous poster mentioned must be v difficult at the weekends & especially up to xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

From The Quays:
    The Quays has introduced parking charges as part of the long term travel plan for the centre.

The centre is gearing up for the Christmas season which traditionally sees heavier volumes of traffic in the city. This year the centre is preparing in advance by implementing a charge to stop people who don’t use the site facilities parking all day and to make finding a space at the centre easier.

The parking charges have been in operation 24 hours from Monday 19th October 2009. If you spend £10 or more in Sainsbury’s, the first 2 hours parking will be free and the first 3 hours are free if you are an Omniplex Customer. Tickets need to be validated in store by showing your receipt or cinema ticket.

The cost will be £1 per hour for the first 4 hours, £2 for every hour after that up to a maximum daily charge of £20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday, even for a "normal" weekday things were pretty slow getting in and out of the carpark.
    I didn't see any pay points in the centre and you have to hand your ticket to the guy in the booth, who then puts it in the machine to ascertain the charge, very Heath Robinson.
    It looked to me as if the system had been put in in a hurry, to cash in on the Christmas rush. I don't think I'll be going to Newry again anytime soon.

• Advertisement

bmaxi wrote: »
    It looked to me as if the system had been put in in a hurry, to cash in on the Christmas rush.
    That's all it was done for, they've got the trade and now they think they can make an extra few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

tweety76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I do feel sorry for those in Newry tho, as previous poster mentioned must be v difficult at the weekends & especially up to xmas

Feel sorry for them?

Retailers in small towns down here would kill for that sort of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

bmaxi wrote: »
    I was in Sainsbury's yesterday, even for a "normal" weekday things were pretty slow getting in and out of the carpark.
    I didn't see any pay points in the centre and you have to hand your ticket to the guy in the booth, who then puts it in the machine to ascertain the charge, very Heath Robinson.
    It looked to me as if the system had been put in in a hurry, to cash in on the Christmas rush. I don't think I'll be going to Newry again anytime soon.

I went to Newry for a browse yesterday and got frustrated with the traffic in, around and out of the place! Rather spend the extra few bob at home and save the headache!

golfbgud wrote: »
    I went to Newry for a browse yesterday and got frustrated with the traffic in, around and out of the place!
    The pay parking may not last long as other shops in the centre are complaining about a loss of customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

c4cat wrote: »
    You now have to take a parking ticket when parking at Sainsbury's Newry, (free parking for 2 hrs if you spend more then £10) there was just One guy checking cars in and out. 1 lane in and one lane out. So if last Last Christmas is anything to go by, the Q then was all the way from sainsbury back up to the motorway and back to the border. So this Christmas its going to be hell with the Q starting in Dundalk

If you want to avoid the queuing on the motorway take the Jonesborough turn off and go in by the old road. Also the queue on the hill can also be avoided but that's a secret.:D PM for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Seriously, at this stage after being in Sainsburys Newry last night i am convinced everyone is mad going there!! Shelves were practically empty, every special offer sold out and they were so busy trying to refill those they couldn't fill up on ordinary stock.
    20-25mins up the road, Sprucefield near Lisburn is a bigger better store, always well-stocked (i was even there 23rd Dec last year and no probs) less crowded, miles of free car parking, all beside a big B&Q, Toys R Us, M&S and Argos. Huge 24-hour tesco just a few mins away too. IMO If its worth your while driving as far as Newry you may as well go a few miles further up the road and not have the madness!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

+1 for Sprucefield. I was there for the first time the other day, you also have M&S across the road. Unfortunately you still have to endure the traffic chaos around Newry and beyond where they are upgrading the A1.

Advertisement