Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menlo - What's it like?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

What's menlo like?

Is there any decent pubs/restaurants?
    Are there any amenitites, parks, woods etc over that side of the city.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Menlo is mostly a residential area, closest pub I think is Menlo hotel.
    Restaurants, Menlo hotel again and there's a Chinese takeaway just as you turn in to Castlelawn Heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

There's a pub/rest right beside the Galway Shopping Centre. Can't remember the name of it now though, sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Blake's Tavern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Yeah, I've never been in it. I just notice it everytime I'm going to the shopping centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Hey lion_bar, I live on Monument Rd......mostly rural quiet place to live except during rush hours (Headford Rd. - Blackbox car park rat run). No pub ;[ , no shop (closest shop is Geraghty's at Crestwood, 2km into town) ... other than that not much shaking out here, still it's nice to live rurally while still so close to the town

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

The pubs etc. folk are discribing are mostly in Tirellan and Terryland, Menlo itself is Rural. Menlo village has a school, a grave yard and a post box. The church is half way between Menlo village and Tirellan. It's by the River, there's a peir and the ruins of a castle. The layout and roads of Menlo are really old fashioned and haven't been developed in years so it's a great example of how Rural Ireland used to look. Don't mind your Bunratty theme park, it's the real thing.

Unfortunatly Galway county coucil want to plough a four lane motor way through it, and if you ever drove (or cylced) out there you'd understand what a crime that is:(. Though I know we could do with another bridge across the corrib, Menlo is so beautiful that maybe two smaller ones would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Magnus wrote: »
    Menlo is mostly a residential area, closest pub I think is Menlo hotel.
    Restaurants, Menlo hotel again and there's a Chinese takeaway just as you turn in to Castlelawn Heights.

which is not even menlo or even coolough. menlo has no facilities and the natives like it like taht.the chinese in castelawn is gas. they just laughed at me when i asked for chopsticks. its safe to say that the chow there is watered down.

Twilighter wrote: »
    There's a pub/rest right beside the Galway Shopping Centre. Can't remember the name of it now though, sorry..

the pub used to be call kates, no its the lucky leprachaun or something like that. not known for its atmosphere

Unfortunatly Galway county coucil want to plough a four lane motor way through it, and if you ever drove (or cylced) out there you'd understand what a crime that is:(. Though I know we could do with another bridge across the corrib, Menlo is so beautiful that maybe two smaller ones would be better[/quote]
    that'll never go ahead. too many politicans live in menlo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

lion_bar wrote: »
    Hi,

What's menlo like?

Nothing to write home about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Nothing to write home about...

Disagree completely. Menlo is rural within a stones throw of the city. The amout of people who have move out of the city in recent years and built in the Menlo area in recent years has been phenominal. But it is still not built up. Monument Road has a lot of traffic because it is a rat run but not as bad as in celtic tiger times. Walking distance from Terryland Park. No pubs in immediate vicinity. Taxi into town is best option if going out.

Advertisement