Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer surpassing contract working hours

Options
  • 20-10-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I recently started a part time job and the contract I signed is one of 4-12 hours. However already there have been putting me down for hours of 20 and above. I do need the extra money however I am in college and need all the time I have to dedicate to finishing my Ph.D and I really want to keep my working hours down. The job is just a way of paying for college. Anyway what I'm wondering is can they make me work these extra hours or am I only supposed to work a max of 12? I've read my contract fully and it states that they are free to reduce my hours but it says nothing of increasing them. I have searched citizens information and I can not find any information on the subject so I'm just wondering if anybody knows what is supposed to happen? Are they supposed to ask me if I wil work over the 12 hours and if not what's the point of a 4-12 hour contract at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The point of them displaying a roster of your hours in advance is so you can check them and notify your manager if you cannot work any of the hours in good time so that they can make alternative arrangements.

there is usually a Claus in the contract that says you may be asked to work extra hours to meet the needs of the business in which case as much notice as possible will be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Hi.
    I would talk to your manager and see if you can come to some kind of arrangement. You want some extra hours but can only work certin times etc. Most managers understand and there should be a 'work/life balance policy within the company. I put up a roster every week and if any of the staff have issues then they come directly to me and I can change it where possible (always is). Arrange a meeting with your boss and explain the problem. Arrange extra hours for when you can. He/She will appriciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Count yourself lucky that you are paid hourly! But explain things to your manager and I am sure they will sort you out.

I work in an IT operation and we are contractually obliged to do "some" unpaid overtime as required. We used to be allowed claim it back as extra time off but now we have to go over 48 hours for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

shoegirl wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky that you are paid hourly! But explain things to your manager and I am sure they will sort you out.

I work in an IT operation and we are contractually obliged to do "some" unpaid overtime as required. We used to be allowed claim it back as extra time off but now we have to go over 48 hours for that.

I would expect that is the norm when you in full time employment and paid a salary. However, it is not the norm for part time work which is usually paid hourly.

OP I can't really answer your question. Have a chat with management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Since your contract has an upper limit of 12 hours, they should abide by that. Have a chat with HR or a manager. You're lucky it has the upper limit- mines is a part-time contract of 15 hours but there's no upper limit and I work 28 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd say that it's a little more complicated than a case of 'can they make you work the hours'. If they didn't like the fact that you only want to work a maximum of 12 hours they could easily turn around and let you go. It's no real trouble for them as all they'd have to do is make you work out your notice on minimal hours. Regardless if it's right or wrong it would be quite hard for you to do anything about it.

As RuthieRose has pointed out above, the best (and only) solution is to reach a compromise with your direct manager. A simple non-confrontational chat with the manager involved will sort out these situations amicably in the majority of cases.

Advertisement