Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of mice/rats?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I think there are mice and/or rats in our kitchen/living room. I feel really sick :( I have put down traps and bait, is there any other way to get rid of them and how quickly does the poison work? ( I also have a rodent repeller thing)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Borrow a neighbors cat
    What bait are you using? forget cheese, slightly burn a piece of rasher with a match and use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Pocket Pillager

What are the signs that you have rodents in your house? I ask because you deal with rats differently to mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't put down poison. They can crawl into spaces and die, leaving a nasty smell around the house. Plus, it's a horrible way to go.

I'm going to move this to Animal & Pets Issues as I can't think of anywhere else suitable.

Mods, please move if not appropriate.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

My boyfriend said he saw something go past him earlier today, I heard sounds in the walls a few days ago :eek: and I feel sick to my stomach today. I don't know if it is a rat or a mouse, I think it is coming up through the drains into the cupboard under the sink. I have cleared that out and put traps down and poison. I really feel sick :(:(

What can I get to seal off under the sink area? I was even thinking today of buying a cat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

angel01 wrote: »
    ? I was even thinking today of buying a cat :(

Could you borrow a cat? If you don't have a friend with a cat to borrow from try an animal shelter maybe but not all cats are good for mice. A lot of them are spoilt house cats who might only play with the mouse not kill it, especially if the cat isn't hungry which most pet cat's obviously wouldn't be.

My mothers cat is like that, he has brought mice to the house but doesn't always kill them.

• Advertisement

sunnyside wrote: »
    Could you borrow a cat? If you don't have a friend with a cat to borrow from try an animal shelter maybe but not all cats are good for mice. A lot of them are spoilt house cats who might only play with the mouse not kill it, especially if the cat isn't hungry which most pet cat's obviously wouldn't be.

My mothers cat is like that, he has brought mice to the house but doesn't always kill them.

I don't have anyone with a cat :( I am trying to foster a cat temporarily to see if that can help. I just feel so sick inside with this problem :(

In the meantime, I guess I have to persevere with the traps and the bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

traps would work best i think, use something sticky like chocolate spread or peanut butter

Thing is if its a mouse, its ok but if its a rat, the traps will be too small. I am renting the place, I live in an apartment block, should I get on to the management company and get them to send someone in to fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

angel01 wrote: »
    Thing is if its a mouse, its ok but if its a rat, the traps will be too small. I am renting the place, I live in an apartment block, should I get on to the management company and get them to send someone in to fix this?

Definitely ask them for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

mix flour, baking soda and icing sugar in equal protions, and lay it down, the baking soda produces gas which they cant release so they die, or substitute the baking soda for plaster paris, will go solid inside them and then die, cruel, but they will be gone, or get a bottle of beer, empty 2/3rds of the bottle, then place on its side on the ground, prop it under the neck, mice will drawn to the smell and drink it, wont be able to release the gas and die.

• Advertisement

aristo wrote: »
    mix flour, baking soda and icing sugar in equal protions, and lay it down, the baking soda produces gas which they cant release so they die, or substitute the baking soda for plaster paris, will go solid inside them and then die, cruel, but they will be gone, or get a bottle of beer, empty 2/3rds of the bottle, then place on its side on the ground, prop it under the neck, mice will drawn to the smell and drink it, wont be able to release the gas and die.

Thanks, I will go get the flour, baking soda and icing sugar now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Do also get onto the management - if you live in an apartment I doubt you're the only one with rats/mice. Plus it would fall under their job to help out an issue affecting their property.
    Most of the suggestions by other people are on the ball - they like chocolate or nuts etc, some like oats, poison may *not* be the best idea as they can go and die in awkward places and rot/smell. You can buy rat traps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

get a piece of cooked sausage or rasher. Put it in a glass bottle or large glass vase or ceramic vase. Tilt the vase ( about 60 - 70 degrees ) and support it, and have a long piece of wood or thick cardboard leading to the mouth of the vase.
    The mice can run up the wood or cardboard and into the vase to get the sausage or rasher but cant walk out as they cant climb up glass or ceramics. Its worked for me.
    Its a good method if you dont wanna kill them, cause then you can just take em and dump em outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Do you know anyone with a Jack Russell? Nothing better for hunting and killing rats

I am going to pick up some steel wool today, is there anything else I should get from Woodies?

No Sign of them overnight, no droppings or noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

we got mice in the house, even with two dogs in there, came in through where the boiler is i think, anyway they ended up in the attic and in the walls, even saw the tail of one in the front bedroom pocking under the skirting board

how to get rid of them, traps, traps, traps and more traps! we had about tenor more at the end, in all the places they went, loaded with choclate spread/peanut butter - get a couple of rat traps too just in case, they will still kill the mouse, saying that one mouse trap only caught the back leg of one, he was trying to get down the hole as i came in, but the trap stopped him, i had to take him outside and finish the job, not nice.

finally make sure any holes bigger than a pencil are blocked, if they are vent holes cover with mesh!

Advertisement