Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get rebuilt desktop to start up

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hopefully someone can shed some light on a desktop problem I have here.

My sister bought Medion desktop from Aldi about 5 or 6 years ago. I know people are divided 50/50 on whether these are good systems or not but this was definitely the most robust computer our household has ever had. It lasted 4 years without giving a single problem.
    Eventually the fan melted off the Nvidia card and the computer would over-heat and sometimes shut down. Eventually it got to the stage where it wouldn't turn on, for whatever reason I could never figure out.
    Anyways she since bought a new one and passed this one onto me. I always enjoyed using this system and so started to reubuild it part by part presuming I would eventually single out the proablem and have a working desktop that was upgradable.

The model is a Medion 8383XL. I bought the following parts:

MICRO STAR MS-7091 VER 2 SOCKET 775 ATX MOTHERBOARD (the next in series from the original)

Samsung DDR2 2GB Desktop Ram 5300 667MHz

PNY GEFORCE 8600 GT 512MB Graphic Card

Coloursit 350w PSU

So pretty much, the only original hardware is the case and Hard drive (which definitely works)

When I got to start it up I just get 2 long beeps followed by what sounds like the desktop trying to start up again 2 or 3 times before eventually dying. I've looked up what 2 long beeps means on the POST and there doesn't seem to be any listing for it. Whatever is wrong, it's not even getting as far as the BIOS. Could the processor itself be damaged?

There is only one stick of 2GB ram installed, does it have to work with 2 sticks or is it ok with one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

It's the RAM, I don't think your MoBo supports 2GB in the one slot

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Thank you sir :)

If I install a second identical stick will it work? (I know it will only see 3.5Gb seeing as it's a 32bit operating system)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

No I think it the board can't support a 2GB chip in any one slot. If you can try 512+512 or 1+1GB you might have some luck

Advertisement