Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bang rule

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Just wanted someone to clarify something on this rule for me before I decide to use it in a skirmish.Now no good with real technical terms ect. but i'll try to make myself as clear as possible to limit confussion.
    I know Bang rule was set up to stop people being shot from point blank range.From what I gather if you sneak up behind some one say bang great a hit without pain or you using ammo.What I'm currious about is does it apply say if you were to look out around a corner MGS style and say bang.In that situation would the person be obligated to take a hit or shoot you.
    Just to clarify the above relates to if you suprise the target who never new you were there and isn't pointinghis/her gun at you.Hope this makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

I don't think I've actually encountered a Bang RULE - just a suggestion or guideline. In my experience it's something you offer, and the opponent can either take it as a hit or decide to take their chances. Therefore, you should have them covered, because if they get uppity you'll still be able to plug them. Running around yelling "Bang" in the hopes that somebody takes it isn't on, you should have the drop on your target such that their only choice is to take the hit from your voice or from a close-range BB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Yup Shane pretty much covered it there, Bang is actually a courtesy and not a rule. you should never offer it unless you can guarantee a hit on the person simply because they might not take it and could try to shoot you in return.

They are well within their rights to chance their arm too and ive seen people giving out because someone didn't take a bang kill but if they managed to shoot you without you getting them then you really shouldnt have offered a bang kill to begin with.

I personally never use or take bang kills unless i have no other option but to shoot someone somewhere were it might do them a bit of harm (ie the face/teeth). I fully expect to be shot at close range too. its not gonna kill me. :)

The reason behind this is, some people like to use the bang kill as a type of weapon in itself and they try it on without actually being in a position to shoot you. they don't want to break cover and risk themselves being shot or in some cases, run into a room full of people and just keep shouting bag at everyone. in this case theres no way a player will have killed everyone if he had shot instead of bang killing players.

If im given the choice after sneaking up on someone, I would choose to shoot him in the foot/leg/vest/well padded area etc instead of offering a bang kill, its less hassle and its not going to hurt the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭RampantWolf

As evelrobotshane said, it's more of a guideline, usually if you're close enough to use a bang-bang then the person is happy enough to take it without the pain of a close up shot... if they don't, shoot them.

On the other hand if you poke your head around the corner and say bang without having a weapon pointed directly at me I'm going to shoot you in the head or dive for cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kurbinator

thanks for the replies everyone glad I got that sorted out nothing would be worse than making a fool out of myself by trying to implimant a rule thats only valid in certin circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Just to follow on what the lads said it is more a courtesey which I will use occasionaly. Although don't go into a room full of the opposing team shouting bang, they'll light you up big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The whole BANG thing comes from paintball (as far as I remember) and since paintball markers are a hell of a lot more powerful than legal irish airsoft devices, it's courtesy to offer BANG to avoid anyone getting hurt, as point blank shots with high powered devices could cause some damage.

In other countries, airsoft devices have higher power limits, so again, it's just for safety. Here in Ireland the limit is one joule, and even point blank will only pack so much of a punch...so it isn't as applicable. As everyone pointed out, it's more of a courtesy over here than for safety. Rather than dole out some pain, you can say BANG so that they know that if they don't take it...they're getting hit. The main thing is to only use BANG on a guaranteed hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Some sites play it as a rule and they set a distance. The only issue I have ever seen with it is when somebody has their back turned or are side on to the other person and shout bang. You have to have a clear shot as you are shouting bang instead of shooting them. I use it all the time because after loosing a tooth to when somebody should have used a bang kill (especially after banged them first) I wouldnt want anybody else to go through that!

So no matter were I am I always use it as it is a game of honour and I am doing that person a favour if they dont want to take it well then they are going to get shot simple as! and by shot i dont mean i empty my clip into them i mean a single round to the chest rig type of job! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

Bang rule is mainly a courtisy. I was a medic in the a kill house reviving our Team Leader when a lad rushes in and shouted BANG at me. i could have shot him but in life i wouldnt have gotten the chance so i let him have the kill. It also ment i wasnt Riddled :). If in doubt 1 shot to the chest area and if you shout bang at some one keep the gun on him if you turn around or dismiss him as dead he is allowed to put one in your back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

As all have said its courtesy more than anything. Personally i've only ever used it in the warehouse where they have the "knife kill" rather than bang kill so you have to be able to physically touch the person to put them out. That being said being shot from that distance doesnt hurt that much, but sometimes its nice to do without the pain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

Craigsy wrote: »
    As all have said its courtesy more than anything. Personally i've only ever used it in the warehouse where they have the "knife kill" rather than bang kill so you have to be able to physically touch the person to put them out. That being said being shot from that distance doesnt hurt that much, but sometimes its nice to do without the pain :)

You havnt been shot with a Saw in HRTA poit blank in the back lane way. The guy was camping in a ditch untill i ran by

• Advertisement

You havnt been shot with a Saw in HRTA poit blank in the back lane way. The guy was camping in a ditch untill i ran by

Sorry but you got pwnd. lol
    The bang kill is a courtesy I don't like using it, there's no point getting annoyed over it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

+1 its a courtesy, but i use it a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

No but i have been shot several time point blank in the warehouse(spilt blood even), the type of gun is irrelevant, 1 joule is 1 joule. In the grand scheme of things it ain't that painful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

even though i play as a sniper most of the time these days i still offer the bang courtesy even with one j i would rather not shoot someone at point blank range with a sniper rifle. i dont mind getting shot up close but then its still nice to give them the choice. if i know someone has one up on me i will take it but if someone has there side facing me saying bang and im aiming at them i wont take it. yesterday i was in a hide in hrta and had 2 paths covered i offered the bang kill and the guy was says ya havent shot me untill the marshal said he should take it ok fair enough he still couldnt see me but the marshal knew the hide and was able to say i had a shot on the guy if i wanted to take it but at 1ft from me i wouldnt take the shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

In tests by Dept of Justice, USA, a man with a knife can gut a cop like a fish before the cop can draw, aim and fire from up to 7 yards (21 feet). So if the guy getting killed had no weapon in hand, and the distance is up to 21 feet, the kill is realistic!

We use a game to simulate this. One guy has a loaded spring pistol, one shot, in holdster. The other has a 'loaded' paintbrush. Its rather amusing - the paintbrush guy often gets surprisingly many kills, as the first shot is often a wild panic shot. Even with a GBB, the gunman had little chances within the 6 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Phractal wrote: »
    In tests by Dept of Justice, USA, a man with a knife can gut a cop like a fish before the cop can draw, aim and fire from up to 7 yards (21 feet). So if the guy getting killed had no weapon in hand, and the distance is up to 21 feet, the kill is realistic!

We use a game to simulate this. One guy has a loaded spring pistol, one shot, in holdster. The other has a 'loaded' paintbrush. Its rather amusing - the paintbrush guy often gets surprisingly many kills, as the first shot is often a wild panic shot. Even with a GBB, the gunman had little chances within the 6 meters.

Random post of the year goes to....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Well yeah, it appeared off topic, but it was a little bit of data on how to REALLY MIlSIm up the Bang Rule, and info on a very fun game to play :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Phractal is spot on with his ‘random post’, and it’s a very useful bit of information. :p

It’s actually used as a training aid for Police Officers and others to demonstrate the need for situational awareness. :)

Airsoft =/= Real life.

Advertisement