Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get the mattresses replaced?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into new accomadation there last week and signed a lease for a year with my girlfriend...it has 2 bedrooms but the beds aren't great..The mattresses are quite soft in the middle...Can i get the landlord to replace them?is this within my rights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Not really. Nothing to stop you asking though. They might be nice about it and say yeah. Or you could go splits with the landlord on them.

Things like that, really need to be checked prior to signing the lease (within reason of course, I know you can't sleep on the bed to try it out).

If my tenants asked me to replace the mattress in their place, I'd say no, as it was new when they moved in. If it hadn't have been new, then I'd probably put a new one in. A comfortable tenant is a happy tenant!

Do they feel ancient, or just too soft for your liking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

thebourke wrote: »
    I recently moved into new accomadation there last week and signed a lease for a year with my girlfriend...it has 2 bedrooms but the beds aren't great..The mattresses are quite soft in the middle...Can i get the landlord to replace them?is this within my rights

If they are damaged or substandard, yes, absolutely. If a property is rented as furnished you are paying a portion for furniture and appliances and as such the landlord is obliged to repair or replace anything broken or substandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

shoegirl wrote: »
    If they are damaged or substandard, yes, absolutely. If a property is rented as furnished you are paying a portion for furniture and appliances and as such the landlord is obliged to repair or replace anything broken or substandard.

and who determins whats substandard ? Is a mattress being "soft in the middle" substandard ? I wouldnt think so.

If it had springs digging into you when sleeping then thats a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 marmalade3

why not just ask - chances are the landlord has already dropped the rent in order to sign you up as a tenant so I wouldnt be very hopeful but no harm in asking is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

I always buy my own mattress. I clear it with the landlord that i can dump the existing one, buy my own and leave it after me when i leave. Nobody has ever had a problem with this.
    Imagine all the sweat, dirt, cum, shlt pips and god knows what that was in the mattress before you rent it. Yuk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement