Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for project to build a simple Web Site ?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    Could anyone please suggest any good ideas or themes that I could use for a 1st year Web Development project to build a pretty basic web site ? I'm totally out of ideas.
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What are your hobbies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gibson_lp

Hey Daymobrew,
    Yea I though that should really be a starting point, but I'm just not sure how to incorporate my hobbies into a site..
    - sport, football, soccer
    - music, gigs, play guitar
    - traveling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

gibson_lp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could anyone please suggest any good ideas or themes that I could use for a 1st year Web Development project to build a pretty basic web site ? I'm totally out of ideas.
    Thanks..

Could you approach a local club or small business and do one for them.

That's probably what I would do. You'd get good information and feedback from them, as well as from your lecturers. It would give a bit more meaning to the project than if you just threw up some small site and left it disappear when the project was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

gibson_lp wrote: »
    I'm just not sure how to incorporate my hobbies into a site..
    Do it as a wordpress-based blog and just give your personal viewpoint. Personal viewpoints, especially on more esoteric topics, are usually unique data, and unique data is a key component of a good site.

I put most of my training stuff up in a website for some of the folks in the rifle club I was in at the time, but it turned out to be a reasonably okay site (because the sport was esoteric and not many people were writing about it; rather than because I'm any great writer): http://sparks.journals.ie/

To be more abstract about it, focus on content, not presentation. Presentation should be relatively simple and clean and minimalist. Assuming you have good content. If the content's bad, well, that's what animated gif's, flash intros, flash menus and the blink tag are for :D

Advertisement