Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

26 Extreme Winter Series (N.Ireland)

• 20-10-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

2009 / 2010 Winter Race Series

26 Extreme invites you to banish your winter blues and take part in the 2009 / 2010 Winter Race Series. This is a series of ten trail races in Rostrevor, Castlewellan and Tollymore Forests ranging in length from 6.5km to almost 13km. The exciting thing about these races is that four of them will be staged in the hours of darkness. On these race nights competitors will don their head torches and with their fellow runners will light up the trails through the forests as they take part in these unique events. All competitors in these events will have chipped race times as we will be using the Champion Chip Timing System.

More details on the event website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Race 1 (Night Race) 6.56km

Rostrevor forest played host to the first race of the 26 Extreme Winter Series. This race was in Darkness starting at 7:30pm.

I arrived early and got changed and started a light warm up. Head torch on and a torch on my belt I had more than enough light. As more competitors arrived the car park soon filled up. Everyone got registered and lined up for a race briefing by Rowan. A bit of race banter on the line and everybody was raring to go. On a count of three we took off into darkness up a grassy slope and passed the cafe. We got onto the gravel path that passed the caravan site leading into rostrevor forest. As we passed the gate I remembered this being the start of a big climb many a day I had rode it on the mtb. This was a whole different story running in darkness not remembering were the end of the climb was. Head down and sucking up much needed air. The odd glance forward and it looked like no end to the climb. Just as I was about to ease off I see head torches on my right through the trees. This meant the top wasn’t far away. As I rounded the corner at the top I tried to get my breathing back to normal ready for the next climb on the tarmac road. Again in the darkness it was hard to judge the distance so I didn’t push to hard. Turning right across the bridge we started to descend a short distance. This was a good time to get breathing and a rhythm going. From here we turned left of the tarmac and followed the gravel forest track. At this point a slight mist had descended upon us. Coupled with the cover of the trees it made for very warm running. Turning right this is were the fun started. Down the badgers claw. This is single track through the trees very narrow steep sections with roots under foot making for very slippy running. I needed a lot of concentration through this section as it was treacherous under foot. At the end of the trail we turned right back onto gravel forest roads. This was mainly down hill and is were I thought I would get moving. I passed a few runners and could hear they were trying to stay with me so I pushed on catching a few more. I had remembered a hill near the end but at this point there was no way I was going to slow any. Turning right at the forestry cottages back onto the tarmac for a slight climb before turning left back onto the green and a sprint downhill across the finish line. Finishing strongly and passing people instead of being passed was a great feeling. Still a lot of work to do as I finished 29th out of 52

Official time 00:36:02

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nailer76

Hi also completed in last nights race and found it enjoyable running at in the dark has its advantages (not beiing able see the climbs).

The only drawback was the distance would have enjoyed a second lap.

Mregan where did you get your offical time and placing as it does not seem to be on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Slight update to my placing and time. I was initially told I was 29th Really I was 26th and there was a mix up in numbers somewhere along the way. All sorted and my time amended.

Official time 00:35:39 That placed me 26th in a field of 52 entry’s. I am happy with how the first race went. I have now got a marker that I can improve on.

Nailer76 results here

I got the results when we went for soup. I should have said unofficial results as it was just a printout. Also I got a text sent from 26extreme came in about 1 hour after I finished.
    The only drawback was the distance would have enjoyed a second lap.
    I was just getting stronger as the race went on. Another lap would have been good. I thought I had warmed up enough for the climb but was a bit caught out by it. Will know for the next time.

Advertisement