Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP Laptop 32 bit to 64 bit bios upgrade?

• 20-10-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭

I'm expecting a delivery in the coming days(as are millions of others:D) of Windows 7 for a desktop and a laptop.

The laptop is an HP6599EA, at the moment using Vista Home Premium 32bit. The processor has a 64 bit capability.

Some bright spark on the www has been jiggling around with HP's version of the bios and converted it to 64 bit. The existing bios has practically zero options to meddle with.

What are the downsides, if any, of turning this machine into a 64bit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm expecting a delivery in the coming days(as are millions of others:D) of Windows 7 for a desktop and a laptop.

The laptop is an HP6599EA, at the moment using Vista Home Premium 32bit. The processor has a 64 bit capability.

Some bright spark on the www has been jiggling around with HP's version of the bios and converted it to 64 bit. The existing bios has practically zero options to meddle with.

What are the downsides, if any, of turning this machine into a 64bit?

What do you want to meddle with in a laptop BIOS anyway ?

Also,aslong as your processor is 64Bit capable then you can use 64Bit OS's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Deano12345 wrote: »
    What do you want to meddle with in a laptop BIOS anyway ?

Also,aslong as your processor is 64Bit capable then you can use 64Bit OS's

It seems that in many recent machines, there is an option in the bios to "switch on" the 64 bit capability, should a 64 bit os be installed. I've got this option on my desktop, but because I'm using XP Pro 32 bit, it defaults to 32 bit bios setting. This option isn't available in my laptop's bios, nor are any others by the looks of it.

I'm trying to find out what the downsides would be of upgrading the laptop bios with a 64 bit "tailored" one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It seems that in many recent machines, there is an option in the bios to "switch on" the 64 bit capability, should a 64 bit os be installed. I've got this option on my desktop, but because I'm using XP Pro 32 bit, it defaults to 32 bit bios setting. This option isn't available in my laptop's bios, nor are any others by the looks of it.

I'm trying to find out what the downsides would be of upgrading the laptop bios with a 64 bit "tailored" one.

It depends on the processor wether it can do 64bit (Nearly every single recent processor can)

I cant see them shipping a laptop with 4GB of ram (That seems to be around the standard last time I checked) with a processor that can only support 32bit computing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Deano12345 wrote: »
    It depends on the processor wether it can do 64bit (Nearly every single recent processor can)

I cant see them shipping a laptop with 4GB of ram (That seems to be around the standard last time I checked) with a processor that can only support 32bit computing.

Now that Windows 7's here, it looks like they're all going to start on 4GB for the 64 bit version, HP for one.

Advertisement