Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISO 9000:2008

• 20-10-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All

I'm working for a joinery company and researching the ISO standards, I'm doing it in spare time at work, which I currently have plenty of.

Can anyone point me in the direction to start the ball rolling. I've been on the NSAI website, but it only tells me why and what ISO does, it doesn't give any details on how to set it up.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You basically need to talk to one of the ISO 9000 certification and consulting places. NSAI do this. But there are other crowds that do it too.

It is rather complicated stuff. It is worth reading http://www.quality.co.uk/ - maybe it would give you some idea of what 9000 is generally about.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Hi All

I'm working for a joinery company and researching the ISO standards, I'm doing it in spare time at work, which I currently have plenty of.

Can anyone point me in the direction to start the ball rolling. I've been on the NSAI website, but it only tells me why and what ISO does, it doesn't give any details on how to set it up.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

It's not at all that complicated. You need to setup a quality systems that includes procedures that address all the areas of the standard that are required, like inspection, training etc.
    You then need to make sure they are been followed, records keep where required, do management reviews and make changes where necessary.

To be certified you then need to get a Certification Company to come and audit your quality manual/procedures to ensue that you have every thing covered and they will then audit your process to see that you are doing what you said you are doing!

Having said that, if you do not have ALL of your company management 100% behind you it will not work! This is the key. Without their support it will be very difficult!!

The first step would be to get a copy of the standard and have a read.
    If you have a supplier that is ISO registered you could ask them if you could look at there quality system or even if there is another company near you that has ISO 9000 you could ask to look at their system.
    More quality mangers are nice helpful people who like to talk and share their experience ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭davemac83

OP,

ISO 9000 is basically a documented procedure to ensure the relevant quality standards are maintained within your production process. It can be as complicated or as simple as the procedures that are in place. Essentially, any management system consists of:
    • Planning - What you set out to achieve, what does the standard require, how do you plan to do it, what resources do you have i.e. persons, money, time?
    • Organization and planning - identifying key personnel throughout the company who will have key responsibilities regarding the quality management system, setting outt kpi's;
    • Policy - Drafting a quality management policy, agreed by management;
    • Implementation - training of all staff, commitment from management and supervisors;
    • Monitor - the system, how it works, the results being achieved etc.
    • Audit - the system, does it work, where is it falling down, where it is a sucess;
    • Review - the system, amend policies, procedures, kpi's training, etc.
    Heavy emphasis on corrective action and continuos development. Normally you would get the system in place, and then get a certifying body to come in and carry out a preaudit. This will be useful in ascertaining the gaps in the system and gives you a focus to amend the system in order to gain certification.

Although there is a lot of paperwork involved, itis worth it. Companies with ISO 9001 are at a competitive advantage from a marketting, reliability and sustainibility point of view which your potential customers will pick up on.

If you need anymore information pm me.

Regards,

Dave McCarthy
    www.targetsafety.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

If you visit http://www.certificationeurope.com/ you can download this one pager that explains all about ISO 9001 Qulaity Management System and its benefits

http://www.certificationeurope.com/upload/ISO-9001-explained.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

As one poster above said, this is top down kind of stuff, if the folks running your business at the top tier are not fully behind this, you'll end up just wasting your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement