Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Pubs (City Centre)

Options
  • 20-10-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Cork I hear these days is a happening spot. That is why after many a years absence I have decided to return to the scene of my youth. However I am now much older and dont like chart music, alcopops, ugg boots or fraternising with the narcotics crowd. In short I would like recomendations for the top 10 pubs for grumpy middle aged people like myself. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

kmick wrote: »
    Cork I hear these days is a happening spot. That is why after many a years absence I have decided to return to the scene of my youth. However I am now much older and dont like chart music, alcopops, ugg boots or fraternising with the narcotics crowd. In short I would like recomendations for the top 10 pubs for grumpy middle aged people like myself. Thanks in advance.

The Old Oak or Scotts maybe,
    although the old oak is just famous for having really pervy old fellas drooling over any female! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

10 good pubs in Cork??? Are you joking?

I enjoy Preachers (Pre-Yuppie style, I don't like it much now), An Brog from time to time, The Old Oak every now and then, An Bodhrán very good bar!, and a few more.

Go to An Bodhrán it's a good place and there is a whorehouse just around the corner on Grafton street according to an article I read in the Evening Echo!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭glanman

Try:

Soho, Reardans, Havanas, Bailey, Long Island, The Classic,

You will love them all more than the last:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Never liked the Old Oak and the Bodhran is full of drunks. Never been in Scotts so Ill give that a try. I used to frequent Preachers and the music was always good but its a bit cramped. Any other tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

for grumpy old men you can't beat the Hi-B in fairness!

Also try The Long Valley just around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Oval, The Mutton Lane, Crane Lane, Franciscan.

I have been in the High-B on a number of occasions but the old fella is gone so its not as much fun wondering if he was going to serve you or kick you out. Where would I go to see all the Cork celebrities like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Celebrities in Cork? It'd be Charlies you'll want, with the Welcome Inn on the side. The Bodhrán is a cracking spot though, every good pub should have a solid group of hardcore drunks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

How the hell is it that a thread about grumpy ould fellas and pubs for them has gotten this far without anyone mentioning The Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

The Bróg has quite a young crowd, and long island isn't really ideal for grumpy old men, ooh the Gallows? The Old Reliable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

1. Old Oak
    2. Bodhrain
    3. Counihans
    4. Costigans
    5. Rob Roy
    6. Mutton Lane
    7. Pavillion Bar
    8. The Roundy
    9. An Spailpin
    10. Long Valley

Murphym7 I can see you have a good eye and a steady drinking hand - I used to like the roundy back in the day. One further thing I dont like nightclubs because I am married. How many late bars has Cork got these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Try the Bodega, Really nice bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Kerikosan wrote: »
    Try the Bodega, Really nice bar!

did you read the OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

murphym7 is almost right! Oak number 1?? Tom Barrys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 josieo

henchys in st lukes

Yeah the Bodega is fine for afternoon drinking but at night the crowd is a bit arty. The old oak just never appealed to me I suppose I will have to give it another go for research purposes but it always seemed to be packed to the rafters with people who love Aslan. This is a deal breaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bridgitt

Kold wrote: »
    +1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

kmick wrote: »
    I have been in the High-B on a number of occasions but the old fella is gone so its not as much fun wondering if he was going to serve you or kick you out. Where would I go to see all the Cork celebrities like.

Since when is the old guy gone? Did he die? I can't imagine him not being there if he's still alive.

Last time I was there the daughter was running it as her father had had a serious medical problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

glanman wrote: »
    Try:

Soho, Reardans, Havanas, Bailey, Long Island, The Classic,

You will love them all more than the last:D
    except he doesn't like chart music or drugs which might be a sticking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

GEM_13 wrote: »
    except he doesn't like chart music or drugs which might be a sticking point.

what have those places got any association with drugs>>??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Am I right in saying no one has mentioned Sin e yet, over on Coburg St. Surley the best bar in the city.

Am I right in saying no one has mentioned Sin e yet, over on Coburg St. Surley the best bar in the city.

Yes and you have been spotted sneaking across the road to that strip club after Sin E closes as well Reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Kold wrote: »
    bridgitt wrote: »
    +1

+2

The thirsty (or whatever the eff it's calling itself these days) might be worth a look as well, and the bierhaus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Bierhaus is the number one for me. The best beer with the best lookin women.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

two words my friends...

The Quad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

two words my friends...

The Quad!

+ 1

Cheap and cheerful pints and sometimes very good bands playing.

The Brog is a poor man's Quad IMO, and is full of pretentious idiots.

I didn't even know that Hi B existed until very recently, tiniest bar i've ever been in! reminds me of a grandparents sitting room tbh.

Twins O brien on Maryborough St. (I think thats the name) is a nice quiet pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Faith wrote: »
    Since when is the old guy gone? Did he die? I can't imagine him not being there if he's still alive.

I can confirm that Brian from the HiB is not dead, saw him about 20 mins ago buying the Echo on Oliver Plunkett Street - then he nearly got knocked down by a skate kid - the look he gave him was priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I reckon the only pubs worth visiting (in no particular order) are:

Tom Barry's on Barrack's Street (lovely atmosphere and big beer garden)

Fionbarra's on Douglas Street (nice vibe, cool artwork on the walls, lovely grub during the day)

The Quad on Tuckey St (bit more hardcore music at times and always interesting faces)

The Bodhran on Oliver Plunkett St (always decent music playing whether live or just out of the pc)

Mutton Lane (only negative point is that time flies and the candlelit comfort of the place makes me drink like a fish)

Crane Lane (can be crowded on the weekend nights but really nice decor and wall art, huge space with big smoking area, eclectic music and bands playing sometimes).

The Brog (can be a bit empty and cold on a bad day but cheap pints before 9 and always good music playing)

The Oval (nice on a weekday evening when its not too crowded. Same atmosphere as Mutton Lane)

I love to find a city pub with a dart board and a pool table. Any ideas??

Advertisement