Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 from hardwareversand

Options
  • 20-10-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there would be any problem buying Windows 7 from hardwareversand. I presume German would be the default language and you could just change that to English?

Also I can't find any reference anywhere to an 'SB Version' of Windows 7 that seems to be for sale here, whats that about?

The only thing I can think of is that it mean Single Bit and the version that has 32 and 64 bit dont have the 'SB Version in the title'?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

SB = System Builder. The new name for the more restrictive, contemporary equivalent of the old "OEM versions" of XP.

Basically they're a lot cheaper than retail, but come with no support package and are BIOS-locked to the first mobo they're installed onto. And if the copy of W7 you're looking at isn't hundreds and hundreds of Euro then its an SB license, it just doesn't say so on the page :P

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Windows 7 Pro, Full Edition is only £148 from amazon.
    Does full edition not imply that it is the, erm, "full edition"?
    Maybe I'm missing something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

€160 (€240 normal price) sounds damn cheap, but if it says full version then it's the full version :)

Not charging €400 for one of the fancier versions of their next OS?! Maybe MS have finally recovered from their Vistaitis? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Had an issue with these two years ago, I accidently bought the german version of xp instead of the english, and had to get onto them about it, took a while trying to get someone who could understand what I was saying but eventually got it sorted. But try not to get in the same situation yourself.

Does windows 7 come with all languages so? or is it locked to the one it was bought from?

Will probably be picking this up in the near future as well and from the same place so am interested in what the story is.

edit: also think ive got the SB version of xp and havent had any issues with it and gone through a good few installs. But never changed the motherboard, so id say youll be grand unless you like changing motherboards alot, even then you could get in touch with microsoft

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

IgsTer wrote: »
    Had an issue with these two years ago, I accidently bought the german version of xp instead of the english, and had to get onto them about it, took a while trying to get someone who could understand what I was saying but eventually got it sorted. But try not to get in the same situation yourself.

Does windows 7 come with all languages so? or is it locked to the one it was bought from?

Will probably be picking this up in the near future as well and from the same place so am interested in what the story is.

edit: also think ive got the SB version of xp and havent had any issues with it and gone through a good few installs. But never changed the motherboard, so id say youll be grand unless you like changing motherboards alot, even then you could get in touch with microsoft
    In 7 ultimate you can change the language. All the others are tied to the version you bought them as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In 7 ultimate you can change the language. All the others are tied to the version you bought them as.

I'd say HWVS will probably sell an English language version seeing as a lot of their customers aren't necessarily in Germany. I might email them and see what the story is.

cheers for that, will have to wait so and see what the story is with the english versions, not sure if ill be going ultimate or not.

Yeah emailed hwvs and they said Ultimate was the version you can change the language. They also said they don't have any plans to release an English version of home/pro for the foreseeable future.

edit: Decided I'll probably just get the Ultimate version from hwvs and when I upgrade 2 years from now just ring ms and say my last motherboard died :)

Yeah emailed hwvs and they said Ultimate was the version you can change the language. They also said they don't have any plans to release an English version of home/pro for the foreseeable future.

edit: Decided I'll probably just get the Ultimate version from hwvs and when I upgrade 2 years from now just ring ms and say my last motherboard died :)

Thanks for the info, right so I may have to go ultimate afterall. Also noticed they have both the 32-64bit versions seperate, dont know whats happening there.

IgsTer wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, right so I may have to go ultimate afterall. Also noticed they have both the 32-64bit versions seperate, dont know whats happening there.

Was wondering that too, I thought Windows 7 came with 32&64bit included by default. I was planning on going for the 64bit version anyway.

• Advertisement

Was wondering that too, I thought Windows 7 came with 32&64bit included by default. I was planning on going for the 64bit version anyway.

Yeah its not a problem I will probably only ever be using the 64bit version, but yeah just tought both are included :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Anyone know if there would be any problem buying Windows 7 from hardwareversand. I presume German would be the default language and you could just change that to English?

Also I can't find any reference anywhere to an 'SB Version' of Windows 7 that seems to be for sale here, whats that about?

The only thing I can think of is that it mean Single Bit and the version that has 32 and 64 bit dont have the 'SB Version in the title'?
    Adverts for €130 - http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=155846&cat=500

Advertisement