Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can pregnant horses still come into season?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

This might sound like a ridiculous question but our horse is 8 months pregnant and is displaying signs of being in season. Vet can't speak to us until later this evening and I am sick with worry. Any knowledgeable person here able to put my mind at rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No sorry, she wouldnt come into season if she was still in foal. Is there a chance she could have aborted?

I would get the vet to check her and put a hand in her to check if shes still in foal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

That's what I am afraid of.:( Thanks for the prompt reply though

When was she last scanned?

Is she out on grass or in a stable? Many mares abort out in the paddock and the owners dont know until they see signs of her coming back into season or that she is getting any heavier or starting to bag up nearer the time.

The only person who can say for def is the vet when he checks her later.

Hope its not bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

I can't remember exactly but she was scanned recently enough. Proabably less than two weeks ago.
    She is out in the paddock during the day. Vet is coming tonight so will know for sure then.
    Thanks for your help though

• Advertisement

What are the signs that she has at the moment?

If shes in a stable at night, the chances are if she aborted you would have found the foetus, but she could have done it during the day too.

Advertisement