Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement lens for the Sony A350 bundled lens

• 20-10-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was recently given a Sony A350 DSLR as a (very generous) present. I love the camera but am finding the lens (Sony 18-75mm) that came as part of the package disappointing. It's not a whole lot better than my old point and shoot camera in terms of end picture quality. I also have a Tamron 55-200mm lens that I way prefer. This is my first foray into the world of SLR photography so I'm looking for some advice on a suitable replacement lens for the below par Sony one. I don't really want to spend any more than €150. All help much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You will find that a Kit Lens is much the same as a P&S as it's meant to be a "Jack of all Trades" general lens. They are really meant to get you started..

What you have to decide is what you want to shoot. This, along with budget, will determine the glass that you get.

If it's Landscapes you will probably want to get something Wide & Sharp, but not necessarily fast.

You may want to venture into the world of Macro in which case, surprise surprise, it's a Macro Lens you will be looking for.

Nature & Sports is where you will be looking if something long & fast (so expensive too)

The list continues.

It's up to you. The Body can become an accessory that you fit to the rear of your glass quite soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

It would be quite hard to find something better than the standard lens for €150. Sigma are worth checking out, as they also make lenses to fit sony. Sony do a 28mm 2.8 that isn't too expensive. It has no zoom but would be a bright, clear and pretty fast lens. You could always crop your photos afterwards if you wanted to. A very nice general purpose lens to have, and nice and neat too for carrying around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

For a real budget option, try picking up an old Minolta 50mm f/1.7 on ebay. They're easily the sharpest lens you can get for under €150 (I got mine for ~ €60). Your legs will have to do the zooming though they're a lot of fun

If you want a zoom, the best value lens is probably the Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8 -- I own it and I've never heard any owner complain about it. It'll break your budget new but you might get lucky with a second-hand one from someone upgrading to a full-frame camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I have the Minolta 50mm f1.7 in Conns for €130, came with a years guarantee. I wouldn't call it sharp though, portraits are quite soft IMO.

Dyxum.com have a for-sale forum and only deal in lens that fit Sony/Minolta cameras. Might be worth a shot. Scour fleabay and camera shops for Minolta/Sony lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

jaqian wrote: »
    I have the Minolta 50mm f1.7 in Conns for €130, came with a years guarantee. I wouldn't call it sharp though, portraits are quite soft IMO.

You must have a bad copy although I'll admit that wide open the DoF is challenging to work with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement