Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting a stolen recovered insurance write off back on the road!

• 20-10-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Is it possible to but a stolen/recovered bike that has been written off by the insurance company back on the road , I bought it from a scrap yard so it dint have a book!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

hoppy wrote: »
    Is it possible to but a stolen/recovered bike that has been written off by the insurance company back on the road , I bought it from a scrap yard so it dint have a book!

Economic write off or proper write off. If the the first then yes, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hoppy

economic write off the insurers paid off on it and then it turned up a few months later as far as i am aware with slight cosmetic damage! the only problem is i dont have a reg number or any idea about how to go about putting it back on the road ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hoppy wrote: »
    economic write off the insurers paid off on it and then it turned up a few months later as far as i am aware with slight cosmetic damage! the only problem is i dont have a reg number or any idea about how to go about putting it back on the road ?

Contact the insurance company for the log book or if they don't have it you'll have to contact Shannon and find out what forms you need to fill in to get it back on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yup, get on to Shannon or DVLA (UK bike), lots of rebuilt stuff comes over the water and gets re reg.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

On a similar theme, My bike was a write off after an accident due to a bent frame. There is a place in cork that do laser frame straightening and I'm wondering has anyone straightened a frame before and what are the implications when putting a bike on the road after it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

On a similar theme, My bike was a write off after an accident due to a bent frame. There is a place in cork that do laser frame straightening and I'm wondering has anyone straightened a frame before and what are the implications when putting a bike on the road after it?

Wouldn't the frame be weakened after being bent and re-straightened? Especially if they use heat to straighten it.

Probably. I presume they can certify that the frame is straight and safe to use otherwise why would you even bother?

I'm not sure but there are legal implications to insuring your own economic write off after putting it back on the road.

I'm not sure but there are legal implications to insuring your own economic write off after putting it back on the road.

What exactly?

What exactly?

After receiving a payout on a economic write off I don't think you can be insured on that bike/car again.

• Advertisement

So making it roadworthy and selling it on would not be an issue?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

After receiving a payout on a economic write off I don't think you can be insured on that bike/car again.

If you buy back the salvage from the insurer who has paid out on it, you can do whatever you like with it, including putting it back on the road.

The old insurer in those circumstances would know you bought the wreck obviously.

Do bikes have NCT's?

If you buy back the salvage from the insurer who has paid out on it, you can do whatever you like with it, including putting it back on the road.

The old insurer in those circumstances would know you bought the wreck obviously.

Do bikes have NCT's?

Good to know, and no they don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Do bikes have NCT's?

Do bikes have national car tests?

:D

Advertisement