Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving part of application blank

Options
  • 20-10-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

my father has been shooting for donkey years,, doesnt shoot any more but doesnt want to get rid of his guns, just wondering has anyone applied for a licence without filling in the landowners section and got a response, or do you have any suggestions as to what he could do without having to join a club or go knocking on doors,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I may be wrong but there is no reference on FCA1 to permission to shoot other than in relation to a limited certificate application. I submitted my applications without any reference to permission. I got a call from the local station next day requesting them. The guard told me a copy of what was submitted previously would be fine. There might be something in the guidelines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ronn wrote: »
    ...........or do you have any suggestions as to what he could do without having to join a club or go knocking on doors,

Would it not be easier to just knock on the few doors, ask permission and then shoot the land if he so decides or not if he doesn't want to. It would be less trouble than trying to overcome the obstacles of not filling in a section would cause not to mention the extra delays. Anything for an easy life.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

ronn wrote: »
    my father has been shooting for donkey years,, doesnt shoot any more but doesnt want to get rid of his guns,

I'd say that fails the "good reason" test. He ought to be refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If you take a look at page 30 of the Commissioner's Guidelines, you'll see that there is provision in the system for "COLLECTORS/DEACTIVATED FIREARMS":
    "Some people will occasionally wish to buy an old or antique firearm, or one which is valuable because of its historical significance, for no reason other than as an investment. This may sometimes be regarded as ‘Good Reason’ having regard to all the circumstances, and if capable of being fired, these firearms will require a firearms certificate."

Your father MAY be able to apply to retain his firearms under this category, on the basis that they hold sentimental/historical significance.
    I'm sure the storage requirements would be the same, whatever about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

he paid big money for the guns back in the day and cant see the point in just getting rid of them, there worth feck all on a trade or to just sell them for the sake of it, just wanted to know how other ppl who arent in gun clubs or who dont shoot any more but dont want to give up there guns,
    thanks lads,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To be honest ronn i know lads that only shoot 2 -3 times a year but they still enjoy those 2 or 3 times. For that they need permissions etc. If a person intends to shoot at a later date, i don't mean it has to be planned, but would like to keep their options open then permissions must be sought and all the boxes ticked. If however they never intend to take up a firearm again then why invest in the time, money and security issues that go hand in hand with firearm ownership. I really don't think "just wanting" them will suffice under the new regulations (hope i'm wrong for his sake) but why not consider selling them or transfering ownership to you or another family member that may get some use from them.

Just a bit of advice feel free to ignore. Hope it works out well for him.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Rovi wrote: »
    If you take a look at page 30 of the Commissioner's Guidelines, you'll see that there is provision in the system for "COLLECTORS/DEACTIVATED FIREARMS":
    "Some people will occasionally wish to buy an old or antique firearm, or one which is valuable because of its historical significance, for no reason other than as an investment. This may sometimes be regarded as ‘Good Reason’ having regard to all the circumstances, and if capable of being fired, these firearms will require a firearms certificate."

Thanks for posting that, it's a pity that a lot of the commissioners opinion is arse gravy of the highest order. :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

Submitted mine without anything other than N/A in that section and left in no written permissions. Received the go-ahead for my 2 licenses this evening. Maybe this is an exception?? Anyway at least I have them now

Advertisement