Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Saturday

Options
  • 20-10-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Saturday is starting to look quite wet and wild going by the last few runs.
    Lots gathering in Cork for the Jazz weekend, could be a wild one in more ways than one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

forecasted sat morning precip at the moment.

6hrprecip.png

looking fairly windy too especially in south toward evening.

ukwind.png

jet stream not helping the situation with it roaring at 100 miles an hour

hgt300.png

LOOK OUT WESTERN EUROPE.. HERE COMES MELOR ( THE REMNANTS)

is this what saturday brings.

joe b post he made on sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

redsunset wrote: »
    LOOK OUT WESTERN EUROPE.. HERE COMES MELOR ( THE REMNANTS)

is this what saturday brings.

joe b post he made on sunday

He was very right to watch this one, good call from joe b.

October 13, 2009 last tuesday

The remains of Super Typhoon Melor, which hit Japan last week, have arrived in Northern California.

The remnants of Typhoon Melor will dump 5-12″ of rain on central California & then gell with a developing storm system in the Rockies.
    That typhoon-combined, spring-like storm system will then pull lots of deep tropical Pacific moisture into the Midwest.

it has since travelled across the us and will gain strenght as it crosses the atlantic.

it must of had alot of energy in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

How bad you think this is gonna be on Saturday lads really? Or is it just too early to tell at this satge.

• Advertisement

prob be just a wet and windy day for a time.thats all at the moment

signals are doing a merry dance at the moment with a big downgrade for this system at sat.

It will still be very windy around coasts but rain seems to be more of frequent prolonged heavy bursts early in day.

This kind of set up is usually messy with heavy rain showers all over country from early morning.

ukprec.png

wind not as potent as previously suggested but still strong,

ukwind.png

could all change again but for now thats what im seeing.

latest run now shows savage precipitation over central ireland during sat morning.

It really can't make its mind up so my confidence will only be decided on friday.

ukprec.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Fantastic!!! my son's birthday is on saturday and I have 20 x 6 years olds coming over :)

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Fantastic!!! my son's birthday is on saturday and I have 20 x 6 years olds coming over :)

Ah it'll be grand just get them in the outdoor swimming pool.

To be honest i can't see the rain being too bad.

should be cleared by afternoon

next run continues nearly identical to last one for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This looks less and less like the end of the world and more and more like a standard frontal system. Downgrade to damp squib highly likely

mike65 wrote: »
    This looks less and less like the end of the world and more and more like a standard frontal system. Downgrade to damp squib highly likely

i agree,but who said anything bout an end of the world scenario mr i love global warming.:D

im laughing at the ridiculous heavy rainfall charts

met eireann saturday outlook-

On Saturday morning, rain will spread to all areas, turning heavy in places and accompanied by brisk, southeast to east winds. Rain will become confined to northern areas on Saturday night but will still be heavy at times there; elsewhere will have clear spells and occasional showers, with strong southwest winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well, as is often the case with models, Saturday has now been very much upgraded by the gfs. Infact this system is now back on the side of being very potent and isn't far off a nasty storm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Weathercheck hasnt posted yet, the end of the world as we know it is on hold.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Hmmm, the N-NW could get a bit of a pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Bugger, plan to drive from dublin to gurteen (near roundstone) take part in a fishing comp between 1pm and 6pm then drive back again...

I'll probably need a long bath whenever I make it back!!

Right getting closer to confidence time and from what the runs have been basically showing is the consistent trend for heavy rain passing through the early hours of saturday and sat morning,clearing from the south fairly briskly and just lingering further north for a time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Estofex have issued a Level 1 warning for Ireland. http://www.estofex.org/

A strong depression approaches Ireland during the night hours from the WSW. A strongly sheared warm sector covers Ireland and some MUCAPE is forecast. Even without electrified convection, severe wind gusts are possible within showers.

meteoalarm

maximum-wind-speed "strong to gale force southwesterly winds with gusty of over 100km/hr in exposed places"

• Advertisement

oops that alot of uisce.

EUMETSAT_MSG_MPE-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

jd wrote: »
    Bugger, plan to drive from dublin to gurteen (near roundstone) take part in a fishing comp between 1pm and 6pm then drive back again...

I'll probably need a long bath whenever I make it back!!

Cancelled, not by me though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not all that stormy down in North Tipperary yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wind has really picked up here in the last hour I am recording gusts of 60 mph with very heavy rain.

Just a bit gusty. Sunny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah, it has gotten pretty blustery here in the last few minutes and the rain is bucketing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Fair old storm here today, lost a satellite dish and a bin. Now over, was quite severe between 12-2

Unless the worst is to come its been a bit of a non-event here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

20 - 40mph winds here at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pretty gusty, still trending upwards though I expect that to subside soon.
    My rain guage seems to have decided to stop working this afternoon again, rained a lot but registered nothing.
    My rainfall measurements are hugely under-reading as a result for the last few months which is a shame.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement