Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving somoeone your bank details over the phone for a transaction...

Options
  • 20-10-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I sold something recently (something small) and the buyer wants to lodge the money in my account before I send it over. Is it safe to give them my account number and sort number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

No!! Once they have your details they could potentially pass themselves off as you - ask them to send you a draft / Western Union payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Jeremy Clarkeson from Top Gear famously posted his details in the paper to prove no one could do anything with your details - next thing there's DDs getting taken out of his account.

Personally I give bank acc info to friends + family only. I have an online AIB savings account which I give out for lodgements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Random wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkeson from Top Gear famously posted his details in the paper to prove no one could do anything with your details - next thing there's DDs getting taken out of his account.

It was one direct debit to a cancer charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

amacachi wrote: »
    It was one direct debit to a cancer charity.
    I was paraphrasing the thing. My point was it was done without his consent.That's all.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well OP, it's your call, but I will point out that if you gave someone a cheque to pay for something, then they have your account number and sort code, so if you're in the habit of using your chequebook, loads of people could have your account details. If you're asking them to send you a draft, make sure it has cleared before you release any goods against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I agree with Toots - with a cheque they have your account details and your signature and we don't seem to worry about that :confused:. What can they do with your account number that they couldn't do with the details off a cheque? People give account details all the time. Don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, I am a bit wary alright. The person wanted me to give them my bank details, and then they were going to lodge the money. I don't feel comfortable giving my account no and sort code to someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As said - people give them out all the time (on cheques etc) and it's of no consequence.

The chance of some issue arising because you gave your sort code and account number is pretty negligible, to put it mildly.

Advertisement