Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash trader Drogheda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I took in my old printer (when I say 'old', I mean it was almost three years old) to those chancers late last year. It was still working grand but I wanted to clear space for the new printer/scanner/copier I bought.

Feckers only offered me €25 for it. :mad:

Thats not that far off for a printer in fairness... You get printers for free with computers. You can buy brand new Canon Inkjets for €35 in Argos.... Your printer is 3 years old... what did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Have you heard of Moore's law. It's a theory regarding hardware. Basically states that every year hardware should double in performance, half in size or half in price.

A printer worth €150 last year can be bought this year brand new for €60 - €80.

My laptop that I paid €600 for 2 years ago could be bought brand new now for under €400. (4gb ram, 250gb hdd, 256mb Nvidia Graphics and Core2Duo Centrino CPU)

That is pretty decent spec for people that don't understand. IT equipment devalues the second you leave the shop, Its worse then a car. But it also changes so frequently that we need to keep up with it.

Pawn shops will offer you €30 for your desktop, theyre hoping to scrape €60 on resell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drogheda_Lad

Look 9/10 you rate this stuff as junk, (*because basically you are getting rid of it) You get a price, your not happy you walk away, its quite simple. Nobody is paying top dollar for anything these days so its there a resource if you need cash in your hand, I for one am happy its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Since they have moved to new location, its much more professional looking and less intimidating. I think its good if your looking for a deal. They last place was very dodgy looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I took in my old printer (when I say 'old', I mean it was almost three years old) to those chancers late last year. It was still working grand but I wanted to clear space for the new printer/scanner/copier I bought.

Feckers only offered me €25 for it. :mad:

You should've snapped their hand off. I offload about 10/20 working PSC's to the recycling centre every 2 months as they're pretty much worthless.

Might drop down to the lads in future..

• Advertisement

bigneacy wrote: »
    Thats not that far off for a printer in fairness... You get printers for free with computers. You can buy brand new Canon Inkjets for €35 in Argos.... Your printer is 3 years old... what did you expect?

A little off topic, but..

If anybody reading this is tempted to buy one of these, DON'T. Full size replacement carts will cost you €50+ for a pair. Also trickier to use non-oem supplies in these due to software and ****ty electrics on the colour cartridge in particular. :cool:

Also they void yer warranty.

If there is dodgy ink in the printer and there is a fault within 12 months then you don't have a leg to stand on even if its unrelated to the ink.

Best printers are HP 6500 / 8500 if yer doing a lot of printing. Theyre print, scan, copy and fax. Cost about €200 BUT ink in like €15 for the black and will give you between 12 and 1500 pages. Similar to a toner.

If you want cheap then the Epson SX215 id highly recomend, ink is reasonable (around €35 to replace the 4) but the print quality is so much better then your same range HP or Canon and they dont drink too much.

Cheaper printer, Dearer ink!!

But yeah if you got money for a second hand printer then defo snap the persons hand off regardless of how much u payed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

The way those guys operate is they will pay you a third of what its worth. I brought a camera into them that I paided e180 for in Hongkong. But it was retailing in Harvery Normans for e580. They found it online for e300 and offered me e100. I just wanted to sell it to put money towards a new camera, but I ended up giving it away to my auld fella for free and paid for the new one in full.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Also they void yer warranty.

If there is dodgy ink in the printer and there is a fault within 12 months then you don't have a leg to stand on even if its unrelated to the ink.

Best printers are HP 6500 / 8500 if yer doing a lot of printing. Theyre print, scan, copy and fax. Cost about €200 BUT ink in like €15 for the black and will give you between 12 and 1500 pages. Similar to a toner.

If you want cheap then the Epson SX215 id highly recomend, ink is reasonable (around €35 to replace the 4) but the print quality is so much better then your same range HP or Canon and they dont drink too much.

Cheaper printer, Dearer ink!!

But yeah if you got money for a second hand printer then defo snap the persons hand off regardless of how much u payed
    #

Sorry to hi-jack the thread!! :P

Impossible for Canon to prove that you've been using non-oem supplies unless you actually tell them! It actually only voids your warranty if the third party ink has damaged your printer, which is unlikely.

Good advice on the HP. Excellent printers. OEM supplies are fairly priced.

Those Epson printers are worse than the Canon you mentioned.. :p Most costly printers on the market to operate. Slow/Not very user friendly.

Higher end Canon printers are best quality "budget" printers.. Start about €150+.

Brother tend to be fairly decent for every day use - their cartridges are also the easiest to copy due to lack of chip technology. They're pretty economical to run and quite speedy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gaellem

went myself once to get rid of 17" flat monitor and they offered me €15 only for it. before even offering money they tried to give me credit for their place and it was very hard to make them understand i din't want credit. they are a joke and thieves. they take advantage of people big time! bought a playstation2 from them as mine was faulty and when i got home it wasn't even working and when i went back to them with it they made me feel stupid by keeping on saying that i was trying to sell them back mine as their guy had wrote wrong number references. They treat you i think very badly and look at you from their high horses. there is a place in dundalk which is called cash converters and they are very nice. worth the trip. would never deal with the ones in drogheda again. hope they won't last!!

• Advertisement

Are Smyths thieves because they sell a PS3 at 399 before christmas when theres a demand. Are banks thieves because they put interest on loans. Are you a thief if you buy a car for €500 and sell it for €1000. No its called business. How do you expect these guys to make money. You are a supplier, He is a customer of you. If your product is too expensive he wont buy. He makes an offer you turn it down, fine, try selling it to somebody privately and see how much better you do.

If a product costs a shop €50, theyre not going to sell it for €50, it doesn't make sense. Eddie Hobbs altough copped people on to maybe haggling but he has destroyed our retail economy with people scared to buy even the smallest of things with fears of them being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

i personally find them very sneaky and sly, make sure you come across strong when haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I asked here as i was about to go down to them With a desktop, flat screen monitor, web cam, and speakers. The computer which is about 2 years old and runs vista, 2 gig of ram, 320 gb HDD. Not a single flaw about it.

Who can guess what I was offered?

Not read any further - so honest guess but no more than €50.00 at a guess. 2 year old comps and their bits n bods are not worth a lot I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

You should've snapped their hand off. I offload about 10/20 working PSC's to the recycling centre every 2 months as they're pretty much worthless.

Might drop down to the lads in future..

:D At anywhere close to €25 total or even each it'd be a lot better than paying €2 to enter the recycling centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

No, the idiots dont know a good computer from thier gom head faces.

All they wanted it for was the housing! :rolleyes:

Ya can pick it up for €180! :D

they dont know much about windows either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

People here need to cop on!

You are bringing your goods to them for one of two reasons... A. You couldn't sell it anywhere else. Or B. you need the money fast.

They know this and are going to offer you as low a price as they can. They are not your buddy and don't care what your circumstances are. They are there to turn a profit. It's a business like any other!

They do not 'prey' on people. No one is forced to walk in their doors. You are OFFERED a price and you can choose to accept it of reject it. Just because you are not happy with it does not make them 'sneaky and sly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

well i havent read through this thread tbh but sure arent they grand for getting rid of junk?

my lil bro traded in all my old dvds that i just wanted rid of, im sure they were prob worth a bit more but sure im only delighted theyre gone th emoney was a bonus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I would rather bring all my stuff down to them than waste a day sitting at a car boot sale where people want you to give them your stuff for half nothing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

hi is cash trader in the boyne centre still open? i passed by the other day and was going to go in and see what bargains they had, but the lights were off, and it appeared closed,,

is it still operating?

Its out the back of the abby now, beside the old cinema.
    AFAIK, its still open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lunalight1988

hey all i'am selling a samsung i3 laptop a 32 inch flat screen a 500gb exster hard drive offer me a good price ..... best price gets it all has to collect to

64-bit
    windows 7 op system

hey all i'am selling a samsung i3 laptop a 32 inch flat screen a 500gb exster hard drive offer me a good price ..... best price gets it all has to collect to

64-bit
    windows 7 op system

Savage first post.

adverts is that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

i have tried selling it for that, and its worth about that.

But as ya know, its all laptops now.

I wouldnt buy anything thats technicall off them, like computers as ive seen first hand, they have no idea what they are looking for in a PC.

If they see a laptop running windows ME or something, they will offer you top buck for it because - its a laptop, then sell it to someone who knows nothing about laptops and ask's them for a"laptop", as we all know, there are certain things a PC must have, to them, a PC with a lid will sell for 100's even if its only worth a pack of smokes.

When i went in, they had a second hand blu ray player in the case, with they were selling for about 300, when i worked in currys over 2 months ago, that model was being sold at RRP €180.

Fúck them, they wont get my money or my usless crap rotting in my house, I hope to see them burn out and fade away to the dole Q's with all thier uselss shít that they have aquired over the past 6 months.

if anyone wants a desktop - gimme a shout!;)

I am looking for a desktop asap if you still have it, let me know thanks

Lad that post is years old.

Advertisement