Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calculators allowed on Leaving cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

u are allowed these calculators

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

That's the one I have, I used it for the juniour and it was fine and i'm going to use it again this year. I'm almost certain you can use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

Thats good

Whats the best calculator to use? would you reccomend that one.I think its really good but are there better ones????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Not sure about other calculators i've had that one for years and never really had a problem and pretty much everyone i know has this one. It should work well for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

whatever the newest Sharp ones are called...They are the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That one is fine, you're allowed pretty much any scientific calculator of that type. What you're not allowed is a calculator that you can program, or that can draw graphs like the one below

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti83p.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Theres a certain little hardware mod you can do to these to modify them into a MUCH more powerful calculator capable of integration, matrices etc. Obviously not graphing though.

Not gonna be spreading it around a public forum though, Not sure if those type of advanced features are allowed in the LC.

There is a software way to do this aswell but its too timeconsuming to be of any use so I'll post it here just for example
    On a casio fx 82,83 etc
    Push the Pol button(I.e. shift and push +)
    Enter (1,0)
    Push =
    Keep pushing the fraction button till it reaches the maximum level
    Keep pushing right until you reach the bottom type 1 and the power(Without an index) button
    Push =
    Push AC (Ignore any errors...)
    Push Up
    Push AC again
    Push Left
    Go delete the 1 but DO NOT touch anything else including the empty space for a power
    When you delete 1 it will show R=1, (Greek letter) (Theta, I.e. degrees sign) = 0
    Open a fraction beside r on the left and put in 1 over 1, now this fraction spouts garbage but different numbers do different functions so experiment.
    Push =
    Push Abs 5 times
    Push the square root button 7 times, Try pushing it 8 times and you will see it glitching up like crazy and it will restart(Try it out, it looks cool but does nothing)
    If you pushed 7 times, now push = and you get a math error, push left and see what you get. Depending on what fraction you put earlier before r=1 you will see besides alot of garbage symbols mostly greek letters and you can get some useful things out of it aswell.

For example some fractions or numbers I tried gave me the mass of a proton(useless for maths I know but these functions are found on the high end casio calculators) a certain number combo gets a different result, but its all surrounded by garbage symbols and numbers as its a glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Sharp-EL531W.jpg

^ Complete gem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

so this calculator is allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Theres a certain little hardware mod you can do to these to modify them into a MUCH more powerful calculator capable of integration, matrices etc. Obviously not graphing though.

Not gonna be spreading it around a public forum though, Not sure if those type of advanced features are allowed in the LC.

There is a software way to do this aswell but its too timeconsuming to be of any use so I'll post it here just for example
    On a casio fx 82,83 etc
    Push the Pol button(I.e. shift and push +)
    Enter (1,0)
    Push =
    Keep pushing the fraction button till it reaches the maximum level
    Keep pushing right until you reach the bottom type 1 and the power(Without an index) button
    Push =
    Push AC (Ignore any errors...)
    Push Up
    Push AC again
    Push Left
    Go delete the 1 but DO NOT touch anything else including the empty space for a power
    When you delete 1 it will show R=1, (Greek letter) (Theta, I.e. degrees sign) = 0
    Open a fraction beside r on the left and put in 1 over 1, now this fraction spouts garbage but different numbers do different functions so experiment.
    Push =
    Push Abs 5 times
    Push the square root button 7 times, Try pushing it 8 times and you will see it glitching up like crazy and it will restart(Try it out, it looks cool but does nothing)
    If you pushed 7 times, now push = and you get a math error, push left and see what you get. Depending on what fraction you put earlier before r=1 you will see besides alot of garbage symbols mostly greek letters and you can get some useful things out of it aswell.

For example some fractions or numbers I tried gave me the mass of a proton(useless for maths I know but these functions are found on the high end casio calculators) a certain number combo gets a different result, but its all surrounded by garbage symbols and numbers as its a glitch.
    Where did you get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

blubloblu wrote: »
    Where did you get this?
    Someone told me how to cause it to glitch, I noticed that if you don't go all the way you can access some of the calculators disabled features. Its probably some kind of memory leak. Its not really useful in an exam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yes, that calculator is allowed. One of the newest Sharps isn't. Look for a key with Solve above it. If its there, forget it. Same applies for Casio's.

And I've used that graphing calculator in college, there is good reason its banned in the LC :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Is there a list of allowed and/or banned calculators by the SEC?

I don't see how someone just can't write down a legitimate calculator if they're using a banned one. In the JC, I'd say the Superintendent we had definetly wouldn't have been able to tell what calculator we had, nor did he check. Maybe they're stricter is LC....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

jumpguy wrote: »
    Is there a list of allowed and/or banned calculators by the SEC?

I don't see how someone just can't write down a legitimate calculator if they're using a banned one. In the JC, I'd say the Superintendent we had definetly wouldn't have been able to tell what calculator we had, nor did he check. Maybe they're stricter is LC....

Well, you do run the risk of them going around, checking whats written on your paper against the calculator you have in your hand. In addition, if an examiner sees a large section, say a huge quadratic done in two lines, then they will ask questions. Plus, in the LC, our Super took a list of calculators on tables.

Its a huge gamble, don't risk it as your technically cheating. In addition you won't get the marks and no examiner will assume you did it in your head.

And to my knowledge there is no list.

Advertisement