Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No reply from Bus Eireann regarding complaint

Options
  • 20-10-2009 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have sent two letters to Bus Eireann regarding the conduct of a driver down in Galway returning to Dublin. The first was sent by ordinary post, 3 weeks later the second by registered post and a week later nothing. What sholud I do ? Contact the Dept of Transport ?
    By not even acknowledging me it's got on my temper even more. I intend to pursue this all the way. I checked at the Post Office and the registered letter has been accepted. Anyone can tell me what step I can take next ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did you address it to the inspector or just customer services?

OK so they should have acknowledged your letter, but what was your complaint?

Were you able to provide enough balanced information to warrant an investigation into the drivers conduct?

If your letter was a rant aimed at customer service I wouldn't expect anything further.

When you say all the way what do you mean. Do you want the driver to be disciplined or fired?
    Did you tell them what you wanted them to do as in reply within 2 weeks etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i also made 2 complaints to Bus eireann on behalf of someone with a free travel pass being told they should have a new "smartCard"(not the photopass for dublin cork galway waterford etc) to travel on all bus and rail services,

the driver told him that he could travel on that occasion but if he did not get the new photo id card he would not be allowed on the bus the next time.

i recieved no reply from Bus Eireann(not even an acknowlgement) but i did recieve a reply from the free travel section of the department of social & family affairs which stated that no photo id "smart card" is in operation or even exists issued by them and the only thing he needs to travel is the travel pass as he lives outside of the specified urban areas that require the photopass.

why would some bus driver decide to frighten someone with a disability in this way? were they simply on a power trip or do they threaten people like this every day?

as for your case op o not let this go as Bus Eireann have a terrible record for disciplining drivers who behave badly towards customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

foggy_lad wrote: »

why would some bus driver decide to frighten someone with a disability in this way? were they simply on a power trip or do they threaten people like this every day?

By any chance did it cross your mind that maybe the bus driver was given mistaken information by someone? At the end of the day he did let the gentleman travel on the bus. I know bus drivers that would tell him to **** off and get the right one.

OP what exactly happened? Your very vague with your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

I'd write to Bus Eireann customer service department and complain again - and enclose copies of previous complaints. Have a look online to see if they have a customer service charter - and specific aspects relating to how they manage complaints. Give them 21 days notice of reply and then if you wish you can make a complaint about services and how they did or didnt handle your complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman. Tell them you fully intend to do this as well.

I wouldnt bother with the Department of Transport - your just wasting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Providing an efficient response

* We will fully investigate all complaints received.
    * If we cannot give you an immediate response we will acknowledge your letter within 5 working days of receiving it and will forward a full reply within 15 working days.
    * If for any reason it is not possible to fully respond within 15 days you will receive within that time details of the cause of the delay in replying and an anticipated time within which your complaint will be finalised.

it also says: If you are not satisfied with the reply you receive from our Regional Manager you may request Manager, Marketing, Sales & External Communications to review your complaint by writing to him at:
    Bus Éireann
    Broadstone
    Dublin 7
    Ireland

Contact details for Managers are also listed on the page......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tarzan007

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i also made 2 complaints to Bus eireann on behalf of someone with a free travel pass being told they should have a new "smartCard"(not the photopass for dublin cork galway waterford etc) to travel on all bus and rail services,

the driver told him that he could travel on that occasion but if he did not get the new photo id card he would not be allowed on the bus the next time.

i recieved no reply from Bus Eireann(not even an acknowlgement) but i did recieve a reply from the free travel section of the department of social & family affairs which stated that no photo id "smart card" is in operation or even exists issued by them and the only thing he needs to travel is the travel pass as he lives outside of the specified urban areas that require the photopass.

as for your case op o not let this go as Bus Eireann have a terrible record for disciplining drivers who behave badly towards customers.
    First, Thanks everyone for showing interest and replying.

Just the same is happening to me. I still haven't received an acknowledgement either and it will be 2 weeks on Tuesday since I sent the registered letter ( which I been told by email when I enquired from An Post was received and signed for ).

I would imagine as you say Bus Eireann have a terrible record for disciplining drivers for ( A ) Typical of anything state run, like the public service the couldn't give a sh!te - supervisiors and all ( B ) It might cause them a bit of hassle with the union, so they cann't be bothered ( C) Cronyism

I told them in the letter if I did not get a response I would contact my TD about it as they are a state run company. Seems they couldn't care less, but then as I said it's state run. I had an issue several years ago with the incompetence and lazyness of the office staff in St James Hosp, wouldn't go into the details. Fed up of them I went to my local TD as I knew a letter of complaint would only a standard " Dear Sir, We are sorry for your recent experience blah, blah, blah " written with a signature that's only a scrawl ( I used to work in Customer Services and sometimes a pile of them would be left on your desk for you to 'sign' which usually meant just scrawling across them). Instead after contacting my TD, I got a proper letter from someone high in administrtaion and not customer service, with the details accurately relating to my issue, properly signed etc. I even got a telephone call later asking me was all ok !! :)

Just lets you see what the difference a TD's letter can make with our state run ' services ' :rolleyes:

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    By any chance did it cross your mind that maybe the bus driver was given mistaken information by someone? At the end of the day he did let the gentleman travel on the bus. I know bus drivers that would tell him to **** off and get the right one.

OP what exactly happened? Your very vague with your post.
    I'm not going to get into the details of my complaint. Not trying to be snappy with you, but the post is about the arrogant attitude of Bus Eireann and how I can get this matter brought to their notice and get a resoulotion.
    GER12 wrote: »
    I'd write to Bus Eireann customer service department and complain again - and enclose copies of previous complaints. Have a look online to see if they have a customer service charter - and specific aspects relating to how they manage complaints. Give them 21 days notice of reply and then if you wish you can make a complaint about services and how they did or didnt handle your complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman. Tell them you fully intend to do this as well.

I wouldnt bother with the Department of Transport - your just wasting time.
    Appearently " Certain bodies e.g. financial institutions, An Gardaí Síochána, Defence Forces, third level colleges and universities are outside the Ombudsman's remit. " http://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/ But thanks anyway. Like I said in my previous post " I told them in the letter if I did not get a response I would contact my TD about it as they are a state run company. " I'll contact my TD first and take it from there. As I said, I intend to push this all the way. I have had issues with the revenue, and HSE before, I know what it is to be ignored - until a TD's letter gets invovled, then they can jump ;)

Who knows I may conatct the Joe Duffy show - or the LiveWhine as some call it :). But anyway, I'm not letting these bastarrds away, I reckon their only making things worse for themselves and the driver when a thrid party is drawn into the equation.
    Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Providing an efficient response

* We will fully investigate all complaints received.
    * If we cannot give you an immediate response we will acknowledge your letter within 5 working days of receiving it and will forward a full reply within 15 working days.
    * If for any reason it is not possible to fully respond within 15 days you will receive within that time details of the cause of the delay in replying and an anticipated time within which your complaint will be finalised.

it also says: If you are not satisfied with the reply you receive from our Regional Manager you may request Manager, Marketing, Sales & External Communications to review your complaint by writing to him at:
    Bus Éireann
    Broadstone
    Dublin 7
    Ireland

Contact details for Managers are also listed on the page......
    Good one, I'm printing it out.

Does anyone know of a consumer show besides Joe Duffy ? Is there one on Newstalk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Tarzan007 wrote: »
    I would imagine as you say Bus Eireann have a terrible record for disciplining drivers for ( A ) Typical of anything state run, like the public service the couldn't give a sh!te - supervisiors and all ( B ) It might cause them a bit of hassle with the union, so they cann't be bothered ( C) Cronyism

Or ( D ) It would be next to impossible to prove. If Driver denys what ever happened what can they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Tarzan007 wrote: »

Having had a relative working in Iarnrod Eireann for a few years at a management level, & assuming the same attitude permeates Bus Eireann, I can say with absolute certainty that the unions are 100% to blame for the utter lack of dicipline amongst some drivers.

Most employees are excellent, but you have core number of sc*m drivers in all 3 transport modes - dublin bus, iarnrod eireann & bus eireann.

Any whiff of a complaint must be backed up 100% by proof otherwise you'll have disruption on the route the following day. this action will be supported by the union - not necessarily on an official level, but at local depot level.

If othher drivers don't support the action they will be bullied in a very nasty and secretive way.

So unless your complaint was written directly to the depot manager and had concret proof of the claim, then it can't be actioned upon without risk of disruption to service.

• Advertisement

Or ( D ) It would be next to impossible to prove. If Driver denys what ever happened what can they do?
    Agreed, it's my word against his. My point is, as I have seen in the past, pester power actually works when accompanied by a TD's letter. The dirtbag wouldn't be fired, ( nor probably do I even want him to be ), nevertheless, I want to see this pr!ck put in his place. I have seen a program about London bus drivers. Now no more than here, the unions have these kind of people protected. Nevertheless, eventually the offender is brought into the office, and warnings issued about their behaviour etc AND IT DOES HAVE IT'S EFFECT. All I want to see is this smart Alec's wings clipped. To quote one of the people from the progam who deals with internal discipline in London transport " These kind of people are of the same mindset of a school yard bully, tough mouth until their put on the spot by a higher authority "
    darc wrote: »
    Having had a relative working in Iarnrod Eireann for a few years at a management level, & assuming the same attitude permeates Bus Eireann, I can say with absolute certainty that the unions are 100% to blame for the utter lack of dicipline amongst some drivers.

Most employees are excellent, but you have core number of sc*m drivers in all 3 transport modes - dublin bus, iarnrod eireann & bus eireann.

Any whiff of a complaint must be backed up 100% by proof otherwise you'll have disruption on the route the following day. this action will be supported by the union - not necessarily on an official level, but at local depot level.

If othher drivers don't support the action they will be bullied in a very nasty and secretive way.

So unless your complaint was written directly to the depot manager and had concret proof of the claim, then it can't be actioned upon without risk of disruption to service.
    Yeah, like our great public service which along with the banks whom the govt. willingly gave them both a blank cheque to almost bankrupt the country, the above situation is very true. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for unions which have to act in a responcible way. It's the lower paid workers in Dunnes Stores, factories etc that need the protection of a union, but when you have a ****ing govt. that gives the public 'service' unions everything they want to gain they vote at election time........:mad:

But as I said above, I want to see this smart Alec's wing's been clipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

To the op i suggest that you appear to have an aggresive attitude that people in a service industry are not willing to put up with .
    No i do not know you ,it's just from reading your post's ,you are very angry and it comes across that way ,so i can only imagine how you would speak to someone when you come across a problem .
    I have worked in a shop and an aggresive attitude from joe public tends to stop you wanting to help them !

Advertisement