Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Only in Ireland could you get a pic like this...

• 20-10-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

copperhorse.jpg
    7330_171985556784_560441784_2864410_1270668_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

And only in America the horse would be on top of the man :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

the horses house was recently repossesed ... leave him alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

oh fishnets on a horse....it must be a whore horse...heard of studs but this :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i did see a pink funeral go past where i worked in britland last year. but mr collopy's was a bit obscene alright.
    as for the guard at the atm.. at least they waited in the queue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Typical gards, its illegal to have a horse on a footpath in Ireland in fact any place where the public should not encounter a horse as standard (+3 years of riding experience) . The horse could be spooked by anything, car backfire, car crash, kid runs up to pet it.... anything.
    The horse could kick , kill or seriously injure a child etc.....but sure hey.... ehhhhyyy its the guards right! they get away with anything they want. The horses hind quarter facing a bleeding doorway none the less where people will walk through.... not hard to imagine yer man there about to get a hoof to the guts.

As much as I hate scumbags I smile when I see them hassling a cop, at least one type of scumbag is hassling another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

hightower1 wrote: »
    Typical gards, its illegal to have a horse on a footpath in Ireland in fact any place where the public should not encounter a horse as standard (+3 years of riding experience) . The horse could be spooked by anything, car backfire, car crash, kid runs up to pet it.... anything.
    The horse could kick , kill or seriously injure a child etc.....but sure hey.... ehhhhyyy its the guards right! they get away with anything they want. The horses hind quarter facing a bleeding doorway none the less where people will walk through.... not hard to imagine yer man there about to get a hoof to the guts.

As much as I hate scumbags I smile when I see them hassling a cop, at least one type of scumbag is hassling another.

Christ. There is so much wrong factually and otherwise wrong with the above statement I can't be ar$ed pointing it out to you. Did a Garda horse happen to kick you in the head? It might explain a lot of the above drivel and hatred....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jesus, a pikey funeral with a tinker on a pieball horse in fishnet stockings and a coffin in the back of a white hiace...short of a lad being bottled in the corner, it sums it up pretty well I reckon.

This wasn't taken in Limerick by any chance, was it? :pac:

Christ. There is so much wrong factually and otherwise wrong with the above statement I can't be ar$ed pointing it out to you. Did a Garda horse happen to kick you in the head? It might explain a lot of the above drivel and hatred....

Oh please go ahead and list the factual errors please lol...:rolleyes:

Oh please go ahead and list the factual errors please lol...:rolleyes:

Yup, long on talk short on actuall answers. In future if your going to claim factual errors please dont make a fool of yourself by having nothing to back it up with, its cringe worthy. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Horses are trained only to react on command. You really think they'd allow them to ride them in public through Dublin City if they were easily spooked?

As for the rest..can't be bothered.

What does a Garda need with money on duty anyway? Or maybe he was doing some investigating..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What does a Garda need with money on duty anyway? Or maybe he was doing some investigating..

To buy horse biscuits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bernard manning once said that "the irish, always give great material"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I've been riding and working with horses for nearly fourteen or fifteen years (kind of lost track at this point). The majority of those years were working with young/green horses from the ground up.

1) Police horses are trained to be completely bombproof. Have you seen some of the training courses they're put through? Do you not realize that very, very often horses are used against large crowds and riots? These aren't your backyard schoolhorses. These horses have been trained against fire, bombs, gunshots, everything a police horse could encounter. Yes, they are animals, and they can be unpredictable, but the chances of that happening with the amount of experience those animals have is pretty much zero.

2) The horse isn't going to bloody kick a child, it wouldn't be a police horse if it was inclined to do so. Again, these aren't your typical backyard schoolhorses who get narky and toss out a bitter kick if you do up their girth too tight or if another horse comes up their arse.

3) While horses may not be allowed on public footpaths, these horses aren't considered actual horses-- they're technically members of the force and thus are exempt from typical rulings.

All that said, the gard is kind of taking advantage of the situation. Still, I can't envision any danger out of that scenario.

In the future if you're going to claim factual errors please don't make a fool of yourself by having nothing to back it up with, it's cringe worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

liah wrote: »
    In the future if you're going to claim factual errors please don't make a fool of yourself by having nothing to back it up with, it's cringe worthy.
    Good on ya. Cant stand people bitching about cops, hoping to get a thanks for it to satisfy their e-ego

I've been riding and working with horses for nearly fourteen or fifteen years (kind of lost track at this point). The majority of those years were working with young/green horses from the ground up.

1) Police horses are trained to be completely bombproof. Have you seen some of the training courses they're put through? Do you not realize that very, very often horses are used against large crowds and riots? These aren't your backyard schoolhorses. These horses have been trained against fire, bombs, gunshots, everything a police horse could encounter. Yes, they are animals, and they can be unpredictable, but the chances of that happening with the amount of experience those animals have is pretty much zero.

2) The horse isn't going to bloody kick a child, it wouldn't be a police horse if it was inclined to do so. Again, these aren't your typical backyard schoolhorses who get narky and toss out a bitter kick if you do up their girth too tight or if another horse comes up their arse.

3) While horses may not be allowed on public footpaths, these horses aren't considered actual horses-- they're technically members of the force and thus are exempt from typical rulings.

All that said, the gard is kind of taking advantage of the situation. Still, I can't envision any danger out of that scenario.

What a load... one of the main responsibilities of a garda is to ensure that the public is not endangered unduly by another person clearly taking a large powerful animal on to a public footpath at whats obviously a busy time of day is dangerous.
    The horse isn't going to bloody kick a child, it wouldn't be a police horse if it was inclined to do so

So a horse trained or not is not capable of doing something unexpected no???? By that logic planes are designed never to crash .. oh wait... **** happens. Again see above point about not putting the public in harms way no matter how negligible the risk is its still unnecessary in this case.

these horses aren't considered actual horses

Lol lol lol, so a garda car isnt technical considered a car??? wow thats cool, does it mean they can drift on to a foot path to get cash from a pass machine... if its not technically a car that is they wont be breaking any motor traffic laws that is.
    Another fine example of common sense having no relation to intelligence.

Bottom line is this is unsafe... its unnecessary and all the training in the world cannot provide 100% that no one would be hurt here.

@seanybiker : did I ask anyone for thanks? Did I even ask a question at all in fact? NO. You assumed that all by yourself based on nothing at all.
    Ya know one this that gets me going... people who make assumptions based on what they believe someones intention really is while standing round patting people on the back like they had a clue in the first place just so they can feel part of something. Posting a reply on a public form with an opinion last I checked wasnt a need for approval or thanks especially when none was asked for... you on the other hand congratulating a complete stranger on a counter argument which is fundamentally flawed is clearly a desperate need to feel belonging to a particular view or opinion while simultaneously hiding the fact that you had no points of your own to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I thanked you :)

Out of PITY:mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Does that mean they Get to Rush around with their sirens wailing bring food back to the station to? :pac:

You can't actually be serious...? I'll probably get banned but sure, I'll tackle it. I'll try and make it easier to understand (though my first post lined it out quite clearly in the first place.. oh well.)
    What a load... one of the main responsibilities of a garda is to ensure that the public is not endangered unduly by another person clearly taking a large powerful animal on to a public footpath at whats obviously a busy time of day is dangerous.

So a horse trained or not is not capable of doing something unexpected no???? By that logic planes are designed never to crash .. oh wait... **** happens. Again see above point about not putting the public in harms way no matter how negligible the risk is its still unnecessary in this case.

Humans can be trained and still react unpredictably (even towards themselves) in any given situation. Does this mean they are officially a danger to society? Everyone makes mistakes. The same applies to horses. The chances of these mistakes happening are reduced to a near absolute zero. This makes it as safe as ANYTHING could possibly be, even mechanical things backfire. You even made the point in your post-- planes crash, but people still use them because, FOR THE MOST PART, they are a safe mode of transport. Nothing is 100% failsafe. Do you see? You managed to contradict yourself and prove my point. Are you drunk?
    Lol lol lol, so a garda car isnt technical considered a car??? wow thats cool, does it mean they can drift on to a foot path to get cash from a pass machine... if its not technically a car that is they wont be breaking any motor traffic laws that is.
    ...Whoosh.
    A horse, when it is used for the mounted police, is considered a member of the police force, NOT an object such as a car. It obtains the rights that any other member of staff has, or at least on the same level as police dogs (curious, do you disagree with police dogs being used in airports because OMG, they might hurt the public?) You're not comparing like with like, and to be completely honest, your entire argument is completely flawed and makes absolutely no sense at all.

Another fine example of common sense having no relation to intelligence.
    Shouldn't self-deprecate like that.
    Bottom line is this is unsafe... its unnecessary and all the training in the world cannot provide 100% that no one would be hurt here.
    So, by your logic, no people, dogs, cars, motorcycles, planes, guns, or any other thing the police force consists of can be used (and ESPECIALLY no horses!), because none of these beings or items are 100% safe.

Makes perfect sense... :rolleyes: Why not just lock yourself in a padded room if you're that untrusting of everything?

Also, I'm pretty sure the fact that horses have been used in law enforcement for centuries means that time has proven that it is effective. They wouldn't be used to this day if they weren't. Have you ever even heard of an incident with a police horse? You know, that didn't involve some idiot punching the animal in the face? Because it comes up so rarely that I honestly can't think of a single thing.

Here you are, thinking you know better than the heads of police, police members, and mounted officers themselves with their years of experience, extensive training on analyzing dangerous situations, and centuries worth of trusted use.

Don't argue things you very, very clearly know absolutely sweet fúck all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol burned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I thanked you :)

Out of PITY:mad:

+1 ZZZzzziinngg.
    What a classic post. Good man Cunny Funt.
    From a "hightower" to a "smacked down".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The height of e-nobbery! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oxis

Brilliant thread!! Haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

...Whoosh.
    A horse, when it is used for the mounted police, is considered a member of the police force, NOT an object such as a car. It obtains the rights that any other member of staff has, or at least on the same level as police dogs (curious, do you disagree with police dogs being used in airports because OMG, they might hurt the public?) You're not comparing like with like, and to be completely honest, your entire argument is completely flawed and makes absolutely no sense at all.

Basically any animal used in the execution of a members duties is considered a member. So basically a horse, a dog unit etc those animals are considered members of the force.

Basically any animal used in the execution of a members duties is considered a member. So basically a horse, a dog unit etc those animals are considered members of the force.

Thanks for that, that's what I thought; to be honest I was kind of talking out of my arse on that one because I don't know the Irish law on the topic, only the Canadian one, which states the above. I assumed it to be at least similar here so ran with it. Glad I turned out to have made a fairly good guess. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Though this little link might help

Mounted Support Unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

(+3 years of riding experience)....

Hmmmm. Riding a pikey piebald around the halting site does not really count.

Yup, long on talk short on actuall answers.

Long on talk?? There was about 5 lines in that reply. As for not answering I have a life outside of debating issues with the likes of you on the web. My apologies for not coming back sooner. Surprisingly you are not the number 1 issue on my mind and keeping me awake at night.
    In future if your going to claim factual errors please dont make a fool of yourself by having nothing to back it up with, its cringe worthy. ;)

What is cringe worthy is your blind ignorance to the obvious.

Liah's response would have been mine verbatim had I replied. But the predictable thing happened when Liah did point out the bloody obvious. You being what you are came back with another load of horse dung in response.

For me its basically a case of the old saying about never arguing with fools. They will drag you down to their level and then beat with experience. This certainly applies to you.

fuking hell what a crap thread from a promising start. this is like reading youtube comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lads FFS it was meant to be a funny thread, will you take the horse play elsewhere please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yup, long on talk short on actuall answers. In future if your going to claim factual errors please dont make a fool of yourself by having nothing to back it up with, its cringe worthy. ;)

Quoting yourself is far more cringeworthy.

Advertisement