Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild Eagle hunt Reindeer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Wow! I was talking to a guy who was showed me his European Eagle Owl :) at the weekend and he said that those owls are capable of taking down roe deer. Amazing isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Only problem in seeing this is that farmers in Ireland will say they will take lambs and they will be persecuted for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭donalglackin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I had seen that video before but as the eagle wasn't wild, I didn't think it a big deal. Thought they were just trained to take on deer sized animals and it wasn't natural.

After seeing the wild eagle do similar it kind of puts the birds skill and strength into clearer perspective for me

stevensi wrote: »
    Only problem in seeing this is that farmers in Ireland will say they will take lambs and they will be persecuted for this...

They might not be taking lambs but they certainly can if they want. Hell a fully grown sheep is no match to be fair.

Thing is though the video I posted seems to be in an Arctic type climate with probably very little for the eagles to feed on so its probably out of necessity that they risk a tussle with such a large animal as a reindeer.

Here in Ireland I don't know if they'd have to resort to preying on sheep

Anyway lets not get ourselves into an eagle versus sheep debate. They're a glorious creature and deserve a place in our skies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have heard of golden eagles being used to hunt wolves in mountainous regions of the Middle East, Kazakhstan in particular was mentioned. They're incredible animals to see hunt, truly beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

While not in the same league, I watched a female sparrowhawk make very short work out of a large rat last week.

Kess73 wrote: »
    While not in the same league, I watched a female sparrowhawk make very short work out of a large rat last week.

Funnily enough I saw a Sparrow Hawk take a magpie last week. Magpie was barely smaller than him and it was in the industrial estate where I work. Wish I had a camera with me as I was able to get to about 8-10ft from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Vegeta wrote: »
    They might not be taking lambs but they certainly can if they want. Hell a fully grown sheep is no match to be fair.

Thing is though the video I posted seems to be in an Arctic type climate with probably very little for the eagles to feed on so its probably out of necessity that they risk a tussle with such a large animal as a reindeer.

Here in Ireland I don't know if they'd have to resort to preying on sheep

Anyway lets not get ourselves into an eagle versus sheep debate. They're a glorious creature and deserve a place in our skies
    Interesting; according to the video clip they have an innate preference for the white coloured calves. Could they have developed that instinct further south in the far distant past?

• Advertisement
Advertisement