Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One night in Dublin

Options
  • 20-10-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all!

I am arriving in Dublin city, together with my brother on Tuesday night (27th Oct.), by plane. We have to catch a train for Cork the next morning. We decided not to book a hotel for that night, but instead save the money and spend the night (about 6-7 hours) in the city. Now, what do you think, is this a wise decision or not?

There is no problem with loosing one night of sleep we can leave with that. What I'm not sure of, is how to spend the night. We will probably go down to Temple Bar around midnight, but as far as I know everything closes down around 2-3 am. So any suggestions about what we could do next, until 7am when we have the train? Do you know what time does the Heuston train station open? Do you think is safe to stay one night on the streets in Dublin? Oh, and one last question: any ideea how much is a taxi from the airport to the city centre (because I don't think there is any bus on this route at midnight)?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

most mcdonalds' in dublin at 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

DON'T DO IT!!! Stay in a hostel and save your life!!!

The aircoach goes to the airport hourly at night - I think

you a crazy person!

O sometimes if you stand at an aircoach bus stop, and there are a few ppl there a taxi driver will offer to bring you to the airport and they charge the same as the aircoach - this happened me twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If it had been a weekend then maybe somethign may be going on, but i'd be surprised if the pubs stay open till 3 on a tuesday night, if you're trying to save cash just book a room in a hostel, pretty cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bvlro

Thanks for the tips!

Good to know that the Aircoach runs at nights too. I had no idea about it.

The reason I want to stay in the city is not to save money, but to show my brother at least a small part of Dublin. For him is first time here and we can not come back in the city during his staying in Ireland due to other matters. So I said, why not? It would be a good opportunity for him to taste Dublin's nightlife.

Anyway I am considering a hotel or a hostel too, just want to hear more opinions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Few scoops and a hostel. Don't knock around the streets with bags and baggage to save a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a cafe on richmond street south called the gigs place. it only opens at 12 am and closes arpund 7 am so you could go there for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Come down to Waterford for the Shels match (major major pish-up as we're a bunch of alcoholics).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

24 hour internet café ftw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Play poker :)...see poker forum for further details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

there is a cafe on richmond street south called the gigs place. it only opens at 12 am and closes arpund 7 am so you could go there for a few hours.

Why would you do that? That's hell with a fry-up. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Poor advice so far in my opinion!

OP - I think staying out for the night is a great idea.
    I assume you will have luggage? Then first thing to do is to store it in one of the 24 hour internet cafes. There is one on talbot street and one on o'connell street as far as I know. Others about as well I'm sure.
    They'll charge you 5euro or something.

Taxi to Wexford Street or Harcourt Street. Drink in few different bars. Diceys, the Village, Solas, etc. Then head to Coppers night club nearby.
    Not the best club in town :P but the busiest and latest you'll get on a tuesday night (Open til about 3.30-4). Easy to score if you're any use as well. In that case head with said women for post club shenanigans.

Otherwise, get some breakfast at some place and then have a few pints in an early house before collecting your bags and grabbing a taxi to Heuston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubbly123

I have to agree with petethebrick, its only Dublin not downtown LA! If you go to coppers that'll keep you busy until just after 4, then head someplace for food. The gig's place is a good idea as they sell food and wine til early morning. Coppers will be v busy on a Tuesday so u should have a good laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bloody hell, is that place still open? I remember it from when I went to college around there 15 years ago - it was a total dump iirc...

bug wrote: »
    Why would you do that? That's hell with a fry-up. :/
    loyatemu wrote: »
    bloody hell, is that place still open? I remember it from when I went to college around there 15 years ago - it was a total dump iirc...

the breakfast is the only nice thing in it and you can sit there for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

the breakfast is the only nice thing in it and you can sit there for hours

You see is it nice?! I've always had rather alot to drink when I'm there so I'm never quite sure if it is good! :D Love that they do chips with a fry though!! Yum yum!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

get the "special brew" in gigg's place.....

df1985 wrote: »
    get the "special brew" in gigg's place.....

the special tea pots:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

I reckon going to a club or two is a good idea but after that i would reccommend going to a hostel for a few hours kip before your train... it will make the next day more bearable.

I've done the staying up all night in a city thing before on a year away, and not worth it in my opinion. Great idea, but never really works out.

I checked on Hostelworld and there's hostels from as little as €8 per person. That would definitely be my option. Even just to book in to have as back up, or somewhere to leave your bags... €8 isnt much to lose if you dont end up sleeping there anyway, and probably a more secure place to leave your bags, since most of them are 24 hour reception anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

I reckon going to a club or two is a good idea but after that i would reccommend going to a hostel for a few hours kip before your train... it will make the next day more bearable.

I've done the staying up all night in a city thing before on a year away, and not worth it in my opinion. Great idea, but never really works out.

I checked on Hostelworld and there's hostels from as little as €8 per person. That would definitely be my option. Even just to book in to have as back up, or somewhere to leave your bags... €8 isnt much to lose if you dont end up sleeping there anyway, and probably a more secure place to leave your bags, since most of them are 24 hour reception anyway.

Above is the best advice so far.

I agree, staying up all night is only good if it happens naturally. However, if you pre plan it , it rarely works out. Dublin is not a 24hr party city, its currently cold and rainy, you really don't want to be walking around the streets in the rain at 5 or 6 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I left the keys of my apt. in the studio a while ago and realised at about half 3 in the morning. Nearly all my mates were either out of Dublin or out of the country. I think I lasted an hour before went and got myself a hotel for the night. Seriously, it's cold, it'll probably be raining, and there's only a few scumbags left around the streets. It's alright to do in other cities where people are still about 24hrs, and there's shops/food etc around, but I wouldn't do it in Dublin.

Also, there probably is a late night bus service to Cork - There's one to Waterford, Wexford, Port Laoise, Kilkenny and Belfast, so I'd imagine Cork is there someplace too, just check all the private companies. You'll probably pick it up from the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bvlro

Hi all, many thanks!

I took your advice and booked a room for the night, somewhere close to city centre so we can go out and also have a place to sleep a few hours. Thanks again!

Advertisement